[comp.dcom.telecom] Home Data Line

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (02/04/91)

In article <16659@accuvax.nwu.edu>, gtisqr!toddi@yang.cpac.
washington.edu (Todd Inch) writes:

> That's what I have.  GTE (north of Seattle, WA, near Everett) didn't
> charge extra to make the first line hunt to the second line when the
> first is busy, which surprised me a bit.  Monthly and LD charges for
> both lines are intermixed on a single bill.

Same thing here in Bell of PA land.

> I had originally asked for a "circular hunt" where calls coming into
> the second line would also hunt the first, but they won't give it to
> me.

[...]

> After not giving me what I'd asked for and then playing around for a
> few days, GTE finally said that a circular hunt wasn't tarriffed, so
> they couldn't do it.  They admitted that their equipment could do it,
> and even said they had it programmed that way for about a half day,
> then realized there was no tarriff for it and changed it back.  Can
> anyone give evidence that this IS tarriffed?  (Tad?)

Here's how it works here according to Bell of PA when I checked a few
years ago: Circular hunting is tarriffed as a business service.  So if
I wanted circular, I would have had to switch my service to business
and pay a fairly high monthly rate for it (I think it was around
$8/month -- I forget if that was per line for sure, but I think it
was).

I found this out right after moving across town into a new place.  In
the old place I had (free) circular hunting with the folks next door
(different address, different bill).  (In case one wonders what use
that would be, we had both lines running into a shared PBX.)  The
folks at Bell that moved my service for me had no idea how I got that
installed originally (I just asked, I think).

It seems like the old business/residence thing.  Many residential reps
don't even know what circular hunting is.

> We used to answer line two (when line one isn't busy) "I'm sorry, you
> have the wrong number."  But that just confused them and they wanted
> to know how we knew.

I have some "extra" lines on my electronic set at work (software
defined numbers -- no actual addition hardware involved).  When they
ring, I know it's a wrong number.  I've actually been suprised at the
number of people that accept "Sorry, wrong number" that I actually now
use that most of the time.  It lets the people know they dialed wrong
and it lets me get off the phone fairly quickly.

> Now I just answer "We're sorry, the number you
> have dialed has been disconnected or is no longer in service . . ." :-)
> Their response is now usually just a click as they hang up after the
> first few words of my intercept impression.

I like that.  Good idea.

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/05/91)

Todd Inch <gtisqr!toddi@yang.cpac.washington.edu> writes:

> We used to answer line two (when line one isn't busy) "I'm sorry, you
> have the wrong number."

You are absolutely correct: people cannot deal with a phone answered
in that manner. Throughout life, I have always had at least one
telephone line that was not only unlisted, but one that I had never
given out to anyone for any reason. If the line was connected to an
answerable phone, I would sometimes answer it in the manner you
describe. Most of the time people are just bewildered. But sometimes
they became hostile and insisted that I could not possibly know that
they had a wrong number without their announcement of whom they were
calling. Those were even funnier at times since I would begrudgingly
invite them to tell me to whom they wished to speak and then (with
greatly enforced authority) inform them that they had indeed reached
the wrong number.

Few people in our society can deal with the notion that someone would
have a telephone and not give ANYONE the number.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/05/91)

In article <16689@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> Few people in our society can deal with the notion that someone would
> have a telephone and not give ANYONE the number.

Back when I was going to Berkeley someone accidentally gave out the #
of the payphone outside the door instead of their own. They got a lot
of calls, and some of the store's regulars would take to answering the
phone in "interesting" ways after "Pay Phone" and "Wrong Number" wore
off. "AT&T security, hold for a trace please" was one of the more
memorable ones. I used a number of them a couple of years later when
telemarketers started running up our dial-out modem banks. Answering
with the name of the company calling always got a reaction, too. They
don't do that much any more. Wonder why?

(peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)

johna@gold.gvg.tek.com (John Abt) (02/06/91)

writes:

> Few people in our society can deal with the notion that someone would
> have a telephone and not give ANYONE the number.

I have a sister who is an OB/GYN in the SF Bay area. As you can
imagine, she was a slave to her beeper. A while back she bought a
handheld cellular (on my recommendation) which she now says "changed
her life".  But when I asked for her cellular number, she refused to
give it to me (her husband does not have it either). She "never"
receives calls on the cellular - it's only for "calling in when I'm
beeped".

John Abt