[comp.dcom.telecom] Texas Space-Travel Entrepreneurs Guilty

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (02/07/91)

The US shortwave station WWCR 7520 KHz just reported at about 5:00 UTC
2-7-90 that two gentlemen have been convicted of violation of Texas
sweepstakes laws due to their 1-900 marketing of a sweepstakes to win
a crewmember position on a russian space mission.

No other details were reported at the time.

I'd like to see email from anyone that caught the details of the
conviction.

Disclaimer: Yeah, right, like you really believe I run this place.

John R. Murray   murray@vsjrm.scri.fsu.edu   Supercomputer Research Inst.

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/07/91)

John Murray <murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> writes:

> The US shortwave station WWCR 7520 KHz just reported at about 5:00 UTC
> 2-7-90 that two gentlemen have been convicted of violation of Texas
> sweepstakes laws due to their 1-900 marketing of a sweepstakes to win
> a crewmember position on a russian space mission.

Justice certainly moves swiftly in Texas. I heard yesterday on KGO
(San Francisco) that these people had just been arrested on charges of
operating an illegal lottery. They were released (or perhaps held in
lieu of) $2000 bail.

Once again, we seem to have conflicting reports on this matter. Just
another example of our super-accurate media at work.

> [Moderator's Note: Not only is it void in NY, FL and RI, it may be
> void everywhere by now if the latest news report is accurate.
> Supposedly the guys running it have been found guilty.  PAT]

And where did your report come from? Are there now at least three
different versions of what happened to these guys? Arrested and guilty
are usually separated by more than one day even on traffic offenses.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: I say if they're arrested they must be guilty, and
if they're guilty they must be hung immediatly. Of course I am a
Bigoted and Very Biased Immoderate Moderator ... :) Seriously John,
all I know about this is what I read in TELECOM Digest, and my
reputation for lying is not any worse than {Readers Digest}.  I just
went with the original poster's comments ... sorry!  PAT]

dcm@dell.dell.com (Dave McCracken) (02/07/91)

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) writes:

>The US shortwave station WWCR 7520 KHz just reported at about 5:00 UTC
>2-7-90 that two gentlemen have been convicted of violation of Texas
>sweepstakes laws due to their 1-900 marketing of a sweepstakes to win
>a crewmember position on a russian space mission.

>No other details were reported at the time.

>I'd like to see email from anyone that caught the details of the
>conviction.

There was an article in the Austin paper about it this morning.  They
have not been convicted, merely indicted.  The Houston DA's office
claims they are running an illegal lottery because of the 1-900 phone
charges.  The people running the sweepstakes maintain they were told
by the DA's office in December that since they also allowed free
mail-in entries that it was legal.

The impression I get from sci.space is that the organizers are space
enthusiasts honestly interested in putting an American on Mir, and
used the 900 number to help defray the $10 million charged by
Glavcosmos.  It sounds like they are getting jerked around by yet
another publicity-seeking prosecutor out to advance his political
career.

Dave McCracken   dcm@dell.dell.com   (512) 343-3720
Dell Computer    9505 Arboretum Blvd  Austin, TX 78759-7299

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (02/07/91)

Michael Ho sent me an excerpt of an article in the {Omaha World-Herald},
which reports that David Mayer, president, and James Davidson, senior
vice president of Space Travel Services were arrested Wednesday for
alleged violation of Texas gambling laws.

Note that there is a bit of a difference between an arrest and a
conviction. Since I can't get WWCR right now to see what they're
saying at the moment, I must assume that I misheard them last night.
Sorry for the possible misreporting, folks.

Disclaimer: Yeah, right, like you really believe I run this place.
John R. Murray    murray@vsjrm.scri.fsu.edu   Supercomputer Research Inst.

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/08/91)

I suspect other, similar, 900 services with the postcard-entry dodge
have run in Texas. They shoulda picked another state, though: a lot of
Texas politicos are a mite touchy about NASA. Holding a competition
like this so close to Johnson Space Center was like waving a red flag
in front of the bull.

> [Moderator's Note: Not only is it void in NY, FL and RI, it may be
> void everywhere by now if the latest news report is accurate.
> Supposedly the guys running it have been found guilty.  PAT]

Guilty of "running an illegal lottery", according to the news reports
yesterday. I don't think anyone showed they didn't have the goods to
deliver.

(peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)