[comp.dcom.telecom] How Do I Tell When ...

"zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu"@arizona.edu (01/30/91)

 ..a phone in another part of the house has been picked up?  I want to
do this via the phone line in my room.  I guess this is the same idea
that is used on the phones with the little lights on the bottom that
light up when someone else picks up a phone on the same line.

Thanks alot! (in advance)

Ralph Zazula    University of Arizona    Department of Physics
UAZHEP::ZAZULA  (DecNet/HEPNet)  zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu  (Internet)

[Moderator's Note: We have this question from time to time, and always
I recieve numerous schematics, etc. Perhaps some of you will answer
direct to Mr. Zazula and assist him.   PAT]

Dan_Jacobson@att.com (01/30/91)

On 30 Jan 91 06:25:10 GMT, zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu wrote:

Z>  ... a phone in another part of the house has been picked up?  I
Z>  want to do this via the phone line in my room.

Easy: get the cheapest $2 phone you can find, and turn its ringer
switch "on".  Voila, you can hear all kinds of activity, from just the
other phone being picked up, to the whole conversation -- all without
taking your phone "off hook".  Just don't have your ear to the phone
when it rings.  [Disclaimer: not all cheap phones do all this].

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708 979 6364

gbaldwin%unix20@sunup.west.sun.com (Gordon Baldwin) (02/06/91)

>I'm trying to find a device that lights up when a phone extension is
>picked up. That way I can know if a phone line with multiple
>extensions is in use without picking up the phone itself ...

>[Moderator's Note: We have discussed this many times in the Digest.
>Would one of you readers with a schmatic send it along to Craig, with
>a parts list, etc.  Thanks.  PAT]

Could I also get the info/schema!

I have a two year old that loves to play with the phone, and it would
be nice to not have a light so that we know the phones are in "play
mode."

Gordon Baldwin   ELDEC Corp    sherpa2!gbaldwin@sunup.west.sun.com

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (02/07/91)

In article <16525@accuvax.nwu.edu> zazula@uazhe0.uphysics.arizona.edu
writes:
[See previous message if you need to review the question.  PAT]

Regarding commercial units that do this (I've heard mention of a Radio
Shack box) Does anyone know what their REN is ?

Just yesterday, a consultant told me that the REN was calculated as a
worst case of several measurements, one of which was DC on-hook
resistance. A device of REN 1.0 has 25 Meg ohm of DC resistance.

Since the customer of a 'privacy LED' box presumably has several other
extension phones, such a box would need to have about 50Meg ohms of DC
resistance in its DC comparator (which is how I assume they detect an
off-hook extension), in order to have an REN of 0.5 (which seems to be
a reasonable design goal.)

Was this consultant right ? (Have the FCC 68 rules changed recently?)
If so, does anyone know if commercial units have such high resistance?

It's moderately challenging, I'd assume.

Regards,

Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

ole@csli.stanford.edu (Ole J. Jacobsen) (02/09/91)

My favorite device for showing a line in use can be purchased from
your local AT&T phone store. These little white boxes (powered by a 9V
battery) are hideously expensive, something close to $20, but they do
the job very well. According to the box the REN is "0.0A" (I'm not
kidding!)

Ole J Jacobsen, Editor & Publisher ConneXions--The Interoperability Report
Interop, Inc., 480 San Antonio Road, Suite 100, Mountain View, CA 94040, USA
Phone: (415) 941-3399  FAX: (415) 949-1779  Email: ole@csli.stanford.edu

tds@honet9.att.com (Antonio Desimone) (02/09/91)

> I'm trying to find a device that lights up when a phone extension is
> picked up. That way I can know if a phone line with multiple
> extensions is in use without picking up the phone itself ...

> [Moderator's Note: We have discussed this many times in the Digest.
> Would one of you readers with a schmatic send it along to Craig, with
> a parts list, etc.  Thanks.  PAT]

Could I also get the info/schema!

Resisting the urge to post a "me-to" note, I looked in the archives on
lcs.mit.edu for something on this topic and didn't find anything.
Maybe this would be a good candidate for the archive?  Or did I just
miss it?

[Moderator's Note: If someone sends along a copy of the reply to this
I will post it in the archives.   PAT]