[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering That Pay Phone

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (02/09/91)

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

> Back when I was going to Berkeley someone accidentally gave out the #
> of the payphone outside the door instead of their own. They got a lot
> of calls, and some of the store's regulars would take to answering the
> phone in "interesting" ways after "Pay Phone" and "Wrong Number" wore
> off.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, and the pizza joint had a pay phone
for all incoming non-business calls. Customers answered when it rang,
and I liked to answer with a business name ... any name at all, as
long as it sounded authentic and wasn't located in Nome.

"American Airlines, reservations ... may I help you?" was always a good
one for stopping folks in their tracks.

Roy M. Silvernail    now available at:    cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu