[comp.dcom.telecom] Unbreakable Dialtones

ap373@cleveland.freenet.edu (Pete J. Bowden) (02/06/91)

  I happen to have a multitude (14) of lines in my residence which
happen to be on a GTE GTD-5 switch and experienced the same trouble
which Singer mentioned, plus an added touch.  Occasionally when people
called my voice line they would hear me garbled. I called my house
once when this intermittent condition was occurring and the best way
to explain it was that the person on my phone sounded like Mickey
mouse.

  I had similar results with GTE, with them turning around and usually
not calling me to tell me that it had been "cleared" even though the
problem persisted.  After a while the phone repair people were getting
"annoyed" with me -- I would use much stronger words for how I felt
the phone company was treating me.  The repair person sent someone out
to my house and said it was INSIDE my house and that if I called in
again they would charge me some outrageous hourly rate to repair it.

  I said it was similar to his problem so let me get back to that.  In
addition to me sounding like Mickey mouse to my callers I would
occasionally pick up the phone and be unable to break dialtone.  I
found out, however, that I could dial-pulse -- so I switched the phone
over to pulse and called my other line and low and behold I sounded
like Mickey coming out the one end.  Now then, when confronted with
this obnoxious repair person saying he was going to charge me I kept
picking up the line until I could not break dialtone and I dialed his
supervisor direct.  He heard me as Mickey mouse and realized it was a
real problem.

  A friend of mine installs GTD-5's and told me that it is the line
card which was bad -- so I told them to replace the line card when they
finally listened to me the problem went away.

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/10/91)

In article <16717@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ap373@cleveland.freenet.edu (Pete
J. Bowden) writes:

> ... I called my house once when this intermittent condition was
> occurring and the best way to explain it was that the person on my
> phone sounded like Mickey mouse.

I'm familiar with the Donald Duck effect, which is usually caused by a
carrier system (ssb) demodulator being off-frequency.  But what kind
of fault could cause a Mickey Mouse effect?