[comp.dcom.telecom] Auto-Blocking Collect Calls

weave@chopin.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) (02/11/91)

The Moderator writes:

>The other nice thing we have here is we can have our
>lines set to automatically deny collect/third number billings if
>desired. The IBT/AT&T data base will tell operators everywhere that
>you do not accept such calls without the operator even bothering to
>call you and ask.

This doesn't always work. My place of work put this block on their
lines a few months ago. I screamed murder about it cause when I am on
vacation, I call collect daily to check on status of our systems. I
was told to use my personal calling card and to submit an expense
form. My reply was that I would use every access code in the book
until I found some sleazy AOS that would let the call go through.

Well, as expected, AT&T, MCI, and Sprint told me no go. But I did
encounter a COCOT outside of "The Steak Out" in Sonoita, Arizona that
let it go through. No indication of LD company, 10xxx calls blocked,
even 00 blocked.  0+ seemed to generate an automatted message from
within the phone itself with options for collect, etc. I spoke my name
into the phone and I then heard it pulse dial the phone number! When
the other party answered, it replayed my name back and told them to
press 1 to accept, or hang up to reject.  It went through despite the
collect blocking.

>>>---> Ken Weaverling  >>>---->  weave@brahms.udel.edu

[Moderator's Note: Any COCOT which places the call direct rather than
through an operator can cause the problem you describe. But the person
answering the phone can still say NO ... and refuse payment of any
bill that should arrive afterward. All the auto-blocking of collect
and third number billing does is catch most of the charge attempts.  PAT]