[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Cordless Phones, Security, Flexible Antennas

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (01/28/91)

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:

>1.  Are flexible antennas any good?  They sell them for ten bucks or
>    so at the local discount store (genuine AT&T), but they're pretty
>    short compared to the "whip" that comes with it.  Do they work as
>    well as the whip?  (Too bad they can't retract.)

I personally prefer the flexible antennas, as opposed to the three
foot extendible/breakable monsters.  Part of this is using them in
places like lying down in bed, when the antenna kinda gets in the way,
and the fact that I've replaced two or three of the others because my
younger son busted them by bending them too fast.  Can't say I've
noticed much difference in signal strength between the two thpes,
either.

>2.  Without divulging anything nasty, how secure is the security code?
>    Are voice transmissions scrambled by the key, or is it just the
>    dialing codes?  I ask because recent rulings say that monitoring
>    a radio broadcast from a cordless phone is not a "wiretap," and I
>    wonder if my phone is safe.  That's a big consideration for me, and
>    it's one of the reasons I buy AT&T cordless phones.

My understanding is that the 'security code' only affects the
recognition of a 'ring' signal, so that someone calling your phone
doesn't ring your neighbor, even if they are on the same channel.  It
does NOT scramble your phone call in any way.  This is based on a
fairly thorough perusing of the manuals and the fact that
scrambling/descrambling chips are still a little pricey for phones in
the under $200 range.  The cheapest cordless phone I've seen that
offered scrambling was something like $500.  (Don't remember where I
saw it, somewhere like Sharper Image.)

BTW, I've had several cordless phones, and have had VERY good luck
with the higher priced Panasonic phones, especially the ten channel
model.  (I missed the original posting, but get the impression it
slammed Panasonic.)  I've not had much good luck with Sony cordless
phones, though.

Michael Nolan

rborow@bcm1a09.attmail.com (01/29/91)

        Michael Ho had queried about flexible antennas for cordless
phones. I, too, have seen them. My father has one on his Panasonic
two-line cordless, and let me tell you that phone has way too many
static problems! I don't know if it's the antenna or the phone itself
(methinks it's the combination of both); nevertheless, the clarity
leaves much to be desired.

        Basically, the question of flexible antennas is a matter of
personal preference. I am not a technician, nor do I admit to having
much knowledge of this realm of telecommunications; however, most of
the people whom I know prefer the regular, metal, retractable
antennas.

        Re: AT&T's security code for its cordless phones: the higher
model numbers (5300, 5400, 5500 series, etc.) have many more security
channels available. From what I know, these models scramble a security
code every time you put the phone in its base or hang up. I have never
been the victim of mysterious calls (even when I had AT&T's atrocious
4000 series cordless phones), nor have I ever known anyone who
experienced this problem. Anyone out there ever been the victim, or
know someone who has been a victim, of such?  I'm curious to know.

        BTW, one unrelated item of interest: several issues ago, our
esteemed Moderator explained about Illinois Bell's accomplishments
(first in....., etc.). I would just like to give credit where credit
is due. We all, including myself, too often complain about telcos:
their reps, policies, etc. While I sometimes wish Illinois Bell would
do this or that differently, I commend their people with whom I have
dealt. I continue to be amazed at their technological advancements,
accomplishments, nifty little telecommunications toys (Caller ID, auto
ringback, call screening, etc.). One problem, though: I wish in my
home area all this stuff was available. It seems like in Pat's it
already is up and running. So far, all we have of the new stuff is
distinctive ringing. I can't wait for the Caller ID, ringback, and
screening. My harassing calls are getting more than annoying.

Randy Borow
Rolling Meadows, IL.

[Moderator's Note: Several years ago I knew someone whose idea of a
good time on Saturday night was to take a cordless handset and go out
'cruising for dial tone'. He'd drive around in his car and whenever
dial tone was heard he'd stop and make a call or two. Real upstanding
character.  Regards CLASS in 708/312: It was just about two months ago
that we were able to order *some* features. I have Call Screening and
for all I know may still be the only subscriber or one of the few in
the Chicago-Rogers Park office to have it. The business office is
still not actively marketing it. About 70-80 percent of 312 is now
equipped, and a somewhat smaller percentage of 708. Just keep asking
for it.  :)  PAT]

barefoot@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Heath Roberts) (01/29/91)

In article <16478@accuvax.nwu.edu> ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...)
writes:

>1.  Are flexible antennas any good?  They sell them for ten bucks or
>    so at the local discount store (genuine AT&T), but they're pretty
>    short compared to the "whip" that comes with it.  Do they work as
>    well as the whip?  (Too bad they can't retract.)

They have less range than the telescoping antennas, but still work very
well. I have one and only notice a difference at the edges of reception.
Sound quality is still excellent.

>2.  Without divulging anything nasty, how secure is the security code?
>    Are voice transmissions scrambled by the key, or is it just the
>    dialing codes?  I ask because recent rulings say that monitoring
>    a radio broadcast from a cordless phone is not a "wiretap," and I
>    wonder if my phone is safe.  That's a big consideration for me, and
>    it's one of the reasons I buy AT&T cordless phones.

If you want encrypted audio, start looking for digital transmission.
You could maybe get a couple of Motorola walkie-talkies with their DES
scrambling module (this'd work great for cordless telephone -- good
sound, three or four mile range w/o a repeater....) but that'll run
you about $1K per radio, plus the security modules.

I don't think you'll find any consumer telephone on the market that
actually has secure communications. AT&T's security simply sets a key
number in the base and handset each time they're mated, which prevents
someone sitting outside your house from using your telephone line with
another handset. Cordless conversations are definitely legal to
receive (cellular too, but law enforcement can't use information from
cell telephones without a warrant).

Heath Roberts
NCSU Computer and Technologies Theme Program
barefoot@catt.ncsu.edu

jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil (01/29/91)

Keep in mind that flexible antennas are a "compromise".  You have to
give a little to get a lot.

Replacing whip rod antennas can get expensive ... but I keep one for
fringe areas.

schwartz@uunet.uu.net (S. H. Schwartz) (01/30/91)

In article <16490@accuvax.nwu.edu> is written:

>My understanding is that the 'security code' only affects the
>recognition of a 'ring' signal, so that someone calling your phone
>doesn't ring your neighbor, even if they are on the same channel.

I thought the security code affected call-OUT, i.e. prevent someone
with a portable handset from calling out through your base unit and
your paying for his calls.

S. H. Schwartz				schwartz@nynexst.com
Expert Systems Laboratory		914-683-2960
NYNEX Science and Technology Center	White Plains NY 10604

jta@hydra.jpl.nasa.gov (Jon T. Adams) (01/30/91)

Somebody named "Tiny Bubbles" queries:

> 1.  Are flexible antennas any good?  They sell them for ten bucks or
>     so at the local discount store (genuine AT&T), but they're pretty
>     short compared to the "whip" that comes with it.  Do they work as
>     well as the whip?  (Too bad they can't retract.)

For the most part, the current rash of portable phones that use the
46MHz/ 49MHz spectrum will not work quite as well using a rubber duck.
Capture area is what generally makes an antenna and using a physically
smaller antenna does reduce the capture area.  However, since you are
dealing with a hand-held radio which is a decidedly non-optimal
environment for RF propagation especially at around 50MHz, you will be
happier choosing personal convenience rather than efficiency.  In
other words, if I was regularly breaking the metal whip antennas (or
had an urchin that did) I would opt for the flexible antenna.  Also
consider moving the base unit to a better location, higher up (get it
off the floor), etc.

> 2.  Without divulging anything nasty, how secure is the security code?
>     Are voice transmissions scrambled by the key, or is it just the
>     dialing codes?  I ask because recent rulings say that monitoring
>     a radio broadcast from a cordless phone is not a "wiretap," and I
>     wonder if my phone is safe.  That's a big consideration for me, and
>     it's one of the reasons I buy AT&T cordless phones.

The security codes vary in their sophistication; but all concern
themselves only with protection from some other person using your
phone line and/or your handset ringing when someone else locally
receives a call.  None do any kind of voice encryption.

Nothing you say on a portable telephone (different only by politics
from a "cellular" telephone) is legally protected from eavesdropping.
In fact, anyone with a 46 to 49MHz radio receiver / scanner (available
at Radio Shack and anywhere else) can pick up your conversations.  The
police can enter anything heard there as evidence in court.  But it's
fairly boring eavesdropping, at least in MY neighborhood...

Eventually, if enough people complain that their "rights" are being
violated by this loophole, well maybe Congress'll just pass another
law, forbidding anyone from listening, just like up in the cellular
telephone spectrum.  Or, with the same likelihood of a snowball
lasting fifteen minutes in Hell, maybe some smart manufacturer will
come out with a great new phone and some reasonable encryption system
using spread-spectrum stuff and will make this fact pointedly known
through worldwide advertising.  There's still room for
entreprenuers.

But they are darned handy things to have.  Plantronics makes one (or
more likely, MADE one, since DAK now sells it for 59.95) that clips on
your belt, has a tone pad for dialout, and a featherlight earphone/mic
that just fits in your ear.  Great for when you're working around the
house.

Have fun!

jon

Jim.Redelfs@iugate.unomaha.edu (Jim Redelfs) (02/10/91)

On 30-JAN-91, Robert Savery wrote:

> All the security code does is keep nefarious types from using another
> handset to outdial on your line. It in no way stops someone from
> listening in on your conversations.

> An AT&T phone is no "safer" than one of the el-cheepos.

True ... but at least you'll SOUND better to the listeners!  :)

JR

Copernicus V1.02
Elkhorn, NE [200:5010/666.14] (200:5010/2.14)

[Moderator's Note: Maybe or maybe not. There was a sort of
'Pepsi challenge'-like contest a few years ago where people recieved
calls placed from various models of cordless phones including AT&T.
All were placed under the same conditions; same distance from base,
etc. They were to identify one model of cordless phone from another.
Most of the people could not identify the specific phone being used
and about half the people could perceive no difference in quality.
Radios are radios are radios. There are too many variables involved to
firmly place the blame or good points with any one model.   PAT]

Tad.Cook@cs.washington.edu (02/10/91)

In article <16506@accuvax.nwu.edu>, barefoot@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Heath
Roberts) writes:

> Cordless conversations are definitely legal to
> receive (cellular too, but law enforcement can't use information from
> cell telephones without a warrant).

When did it become legal to monitor cellular phone calls?  I know that
cordless phones are legal, but I thought the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act put this in the same class as wiretapping.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7ENT.#WWA.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089   MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, t ad@ssc.UUCP

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (02/10/91)

In article <16490@accuvax.nwu.edu> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:

>ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:

>>1.  Are flexible antennas any good?  They sell them for ten bucks or
>>    so at the local discount store (genuine AT&T), but they're pretty
>>    short compared to the "whip" that comes with it.  Do they work as
>>    well as the whip?  (Too bad they can't retract.)

>I personally prefer the flexible antennas, as opposed to the three
>foot extendible/breakable monsters.

>BTW, I've had several cordless phones, and have had VERY good luck
>with the higher priced Panasonic phones, especially the ten channel
>model.  (I missed the original posting, but get the impression it
>slammed Panasonic.)  I've not had much good luck with Sony cordless
>phones, though.

This is interesting, since it's 180 degrees away from my experience.

I recently purchased a Sony SPP-120 cordless.  Actually, I bought
three cordless phones: the Sony, a Panasonic KX-T4000 (the one
reminiscent of a StarTrek communicator), and a Panasonic KX-T3620.  I
bought these phones from a place with a thirty-day trial period, so I
could pick the one I wanted to keep.  All these phones have flexible
antennas and ten channels.  I recently moved into an apartment
building, and the apartment was big enough to justify the cordless.

The KX-T4000 was a catastrophe.  Seven or eight times out of ten, I
couldn't even get a dial tone.  The phone would just beep at me in
it's "I can't connect to the base unit" mode.  This happened even with
the phone directly next to the base.

The KX-T3620 was more successful.  It always linked up with the base,
but I experienced pretty bad static problems with it (some of which I
associate with the dinky antenna).  Otherwise, I really like the phone
(my standard phone is a Panasonic, and I've always liked it, too).

The Sony was the clear winner.  I get zero static most of the time,
and its reception is good enough that I can walk down the exterior
hall towards the elevator and still carry on a conversation (although
there's a bit of static then).  It works fine on my balcony.  I
attibute this success to the unit's nine-inch helical antenna, and the
base unit's two foot antenna.  A also like the Sony's battery systems.

First, the handset has a one week standby / twelve hour talk
endurance.  Second, there's a second battery which is maintained
charged in the base, so that the phone never need be without battery
power to recharge.  The base battery also acts as backup power for the
base unit, in the event of an AC power failure.  My only complaint is
the sound quality.  It has something of a "walkie-talkie" feel, like
the microphone is too sensitive.

Here's the question:

I kept the Sony, and am quite happy with it.  I do have one question,
though: the display at the store claimed that it had 1,000,000
security codes, but there are no DIP switches (contrary what a
in the manual of how to set them.  Does the code come from the
factory, unique to each phone?  Or, does the phone pick a new one
every time you hang up?  (The latter seems unlikely, since the handset
doesn't have a cradle, so I don't know how the phone could possibly
recover if the code were somehow scrambled).

Thanks,

Mike

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (02/11/91)

Jim.Redelfs@iugate.unomaha.edu (Jim Redelfs) writes:

>On 30-JAN-91, Robert Savery wrote:

>> An AT&T phone is no "safer" than one of the el-cheepos.
>True ... but at least you'll SOUND better to the listeners!  :)

>[Moderator's Note: Maybe or maybe not. There was a sort of
>'Pepsi challenge'-like contest a few years ago where people recieved
>calls placed from various models of cordless phones including AT&T.
>All were placed under the same conditions; same distance from base,
>etc. They were to identify one model of cordless phone from another.
>Most of the people could not identify the specific phone being used
>and about half the people could perceive no difference in quality.
>Radios are radios are radios. There are too many variables involved to
>firmly place the blame or good points with any one model.   PAT]

Another problem with a challenge like this is that it tests the
transmission from the handset to the base only.  If I'm not mistaken
(and I'm sure people will be quite rapid to tell me if I'm not), the
base unit does a much better job receiving the handset than vice versa
due to its much better antenna.  Also, I believe that some models (or
was this just the earlier ones?) use the ground wire of the AC as an
antenna to pick up the handheld unit.

Whether or not this is technically true, I know from personal
experience with about five different types of cordless phones that
there is always much less static on the way from handset to base than
base to handset.  This once allowed me to receive a call next door,
pick it up, hear nothing by static on my end, and tell the caller to
hold on while I crossed over to my own house.  He reported no static
the whole time.

David Lemson    U of Illinois Computing Services Student Consultant
Internet : lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   University of Illinois, Urbana