[comp.dcom.telecom] Wanted: Ring Indicator

stehle@erg.sri.com (02/10/91)

I am looking for an add-on accessory that would be placed on a
two-wire telephone line (with a T connection) that would indicate that
the ringing voltage has appeared on the line.

Ideally, an LED would be set to a flashing mode in response to the
ringing voltage.  It would stay flashing until the handset was taken
off hook; this operation would cause the LED to be extinguished and to
cease flashing.

Can you direct me to vendors of such equipment?  Can you direct me to
a schematic to build such a circuit?

I am aware of the 20 Dec 90 _EDN_ Idea for Design.  Do you have any
comments on the suitability of this circuit?  Can private telephone
systems (e.g., NT SL-1) tolerate lower on-hook DC impedances than the
Part 68 specification of 5 megohms?

E-mail replies gladly accepted at "stehle@erg.sri.com".

Thanks,

Roy Stehle   SRI International

julian%bongo.UUCP@nosc.mil (Julian Macassey) (02/11/91)

In article <74346@bu.edu.bu.edu> stehle@erg.sri.com writes:

>I am looking for an add-on accessory that would be placed on a
>two-wire telephone line (with a T connection) that would indicate that
>the ringing voltage has appeared on the line.

	Ok, this is simple. You need a gong ringer and a dime. Wire up
the gong ringer, but the gong must be open and accessable. Place a
dime on the gong. If you find the dime on the floor, the phone has
rung.

	This system was used in Copenhagen Denmark where the phones on
Semi Automatic COs had a gong ringer top. Subscribers would place a 5
Oere (Ears) coin on the gong before going out. This was a poor
substitute for a Phone Answering machine. But hey, it was cheap if you
kept using the same coin.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@N6YN (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495