[comp.dcom.telecom] Maybe it Really is Time for Telecommunications Competition!

herrickd@uunet.uu.net (CONTR HERRICK, DAN) (02/09/91)

> [Moderator's Note: Jane Fraser, a regular correspondent to TELECOM
> Digest from Ohio State has passed along this special report of a
> symposium held last week. I thought you would enjoy reading it,
> although it is too long for a regular issue of the Digest.   PAT]

Jane's 300 line report is informative and helpful.  Reading it led me
to an idea that should have come sooner!

"Full competition in telecommunications" requires more than one
Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) competing to provide me with dial tone.

There are two very expensive items in the physical plant of a LEC, the
switch or Central Office and all those copper wires going to
everybody's phones.

Every community of any size in the United States now has a second
company with a switch for providing public phone service - the
non-wireline cellular phone provider.  His cellular system includes a
network of cell transceivers connected together with copper wires and
optic fibers and radio/microwave connections.  (They even buy some of
those connections from the wireline providers, I'm sure.)

What prevents a non-wireline cellular provider from starting to offer
POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service?  There has to be one out there
with capacity to spare owned by a curmudgeon spoiling for a good
competitive fight.

It is time we really tore down the telephone monopoly, not using the
guns of a government regulator, but using the profit seeking ambitions
of an alternative provider.

Do you think local telephone service costs too much?  Rent some capacity
from the local cellular provider and take some business away from your
monopoly LEC.

dan herrick    herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (02/12/91)

Dan Herrick writes:

> Do you think local telephone service costs too much?  Rent some capacity
> from the local cellular provider and take some business away from your
> monopoly LEC.

Actually, I have been debating doing just that.  If you factor in
value-added services, Cell One is almost cheaper than C&P, even with
airtime charges.  Since there's a cell site a block away from my
apartment, it's even practical for non-mobile use, and I get:

 - free voice mail
 - a local calling area that includes all of the DC and Baltimore
   metropolitan areas (this can be *very* handy)
 - prompt, helpful customer service
 - often, faster call completion
 - fewer service interruptions

And, best of all, my cellular phone number wasn't previously owned by
a tortilla manufacturer :).

The next time C&P screws up, I'll probably try it, at least for a
while...

Amanda Walker		amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.	...!uunet!visix!amanda