[comp.dcom.telecom] Bell of PA Calling Card Calls

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas Scott Reuben) (02/05/91)

Note: This is NOT another "new"/"old" Calling Card system post! :) :)

I got my phone bill today, and took a comparative look at the local
and LD sections:

 -A 1 minute call (11:30PM) from Reading, PA (215-373-9??? -payphone)
to New Castle, DE (302-740-7626), with my calling card, was $1.18, via
"Bell Atlantic" (or really Bell Of PA). This was the "default" which
the payphone used, naturally.

 -The same call the next day, from the same payphone, to the same DE
number, at 12AM, was only $.12 cents on my Reach Out America Plan. If
I did not have the plan, it would have been $.92. (Note that this is
between two states, 1so ROA's Calling Card discount is applicable.)

Why would Bell of PA charge MORE for a call than AT&T, in between TWO
states?  (and not IN-State).

IE, in an area where there is competition, as in the NY/NJ corridor,
NY Tel and NJ Bell charge LESS than AT&T (not including ROA). NJ Bell
even "makes" itself the default carrier from its payphones on all
calls which it is allowed to handle to NYC.

It would seem to be that either there is a VERY low volume of calls
between PA and DE that Bell O' PA doesn't mind this business going
over to AT&T, or no one told them about this! Is it as strange with 1+
calls as well?

So much for rational toll pricing ... (not that it was ever all that
great to begin with ...)

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu  //  dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

nol2105%dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (Robert E. Zabloudil) (02/15/91)

In article <16677@accuvax.nwu.edu> DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas
Scott Reuben) writes:

> -A 1 minute call (11:30PM) from Reading, PA (215-373-9??? -payphone)
> to New Castle, DE (302-740-7626), with my calling card, was $1.18, via
> "Bell Atlantic" (or really Bell Of PA). This was the "default" which
> the payphone used, naturally.

> -The same call the next day, from the same payphone, to the same DE
> number, at 12AM, was only $.12 cents on my Reach Out America Plan. If
> I did not have the plan, it would have been $.92. (Note that this is
> between two states, 1so ROA's Calling Card discount is applicable.)

> Why would Bell of PA charge MORE for a call than AT&T, in between TWO
> states?  (and not IN-State).

Was this call by chance totally within your BoPA LATA?  They can cross
state lines occasionally (NW Bell has one in four states).

I can make a one-minute call from Columbus to Johnstown, OH, as a 1+
call for 19 cents, evening rate; the same call costs 14 cents if I
dial it 10288-1+.

Not exactly analagous, to be sure.

Bob Zabloudil   rzabloudil@dsac.dla.mil    std.disclaimer disclaimed

[Moderator's Note: Where I've seen some bizarre ways of dialing is by
using Telecom*USA's 'local calling via 700' option. That carrier
allows purely local, intra-lata calls by using 1-700-desired number in
place of your local area code. In other words, as a Telecom*USA
customer I can dial locally 368-8000 or I can route through Telecom
dialing 10835-1-700-368-8000, where 700 is presumed to mean 'the area
code you are calling from now'. How they get away with it I don't know;
but they have offered it for several years.   PAT]