[comp.dcom.telecom] Network Interfaces: What's the Difference?

sethcohn%alchemy.uucp@theory.tn.cornell.edu (seth cohn) (01/30/91)

I recently had a second phone installed for a BBS system.  The
operator gave me a choice of:

1) a testable network interface
2) a NONtestable network interface

What's the difference? (Besides about $5 :) )

Seth Cohn

drmath@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Doctor Math) (02/01/91)

sethcohn%alchemy.uucp@theory.tn.cornell.edu (seth cohn) writes:

> I recently had a second phone installed for a BBS system.  The
> operator gave me a choice of:

> 1) a testable network interface
> 2) a NONtestable network interface

> What's the difference? (Besides about $5 :) )

The "testable" network interface probably has a modular jack wired
inside of it such that all the wiring in your house (past demarc) can
be unplugged, allowing the customer to plug in an ordinary phone and
see if the inside wiring is at fault before calling repair. A less
likely possibility is that it contains a chip that the telco can "see"
from the CO, also to determine where any problem lies. I say "less
likely" because (at least here) they've stopped using these chips;
apparently they register about a ringer and a half and this was
causing problems (installer told me this as I watched him yank out all
six of the little buggers).

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird P. Broadfield) (02/16/91)

>On 29-JAN-91, Seth Cohn wrote:

>> I recently had a second phone installed for a BBS system.  The operator gave
>> me a choice of:

>> 1) a testable network interface
>> 2) a NONtestable network interface
>> What's the difference? (Besides about $5 :) )

This is probably an SNI with a built in MTU.  (Do you feel informed now?)

SNI:  Standard Network Intervace (residential semi-equivalent of a 'demarc')
MTU:  Maintenance Test Unit

The MTU is a gadget that has several capabilities depending on what
model is installed.  The minimum (that I've seen) is that when
presented with a specific tone from the CO side, it will disconnect
the premises side, allowing the guy on the test desk to quickly
determine if the problem is in your equip. or theirs.  Many also will
send back a test tone, or a series of test tones and quiet time,
allowing the test-dude to measure line quality, etc.  Some also
include the ability to disconnect your equipment automatically in the
event of a short on your side (these can be set for "latching" or
"non-latching", meaning does the telco have to visit in order to reset
it (and charge you $$)).

No idea why they would offer you an option; the devices certainly
should be cost-effective for them to install everywhere, especially
since they could just have charged you for it and not offered the
option.

Laird P. Broadfield
UUCP: {akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!lairdb
INET: lairdb@crash.cts.com