[comp.dcom.telecom] "Internal" Portable Phones

tep@ucsd.edu (02/09/91)

Greetings Telecom Wizards!

I'm looking for a piece of equipment which probably doesn't exist,
provides a service probably better provided by something else, which a
senior manager wants to buy :-)

We have a dozen or so technical people around the company who spend
most of their time out of their official offices, working around our
office complexes (computer system managers, in-house telephone people,
facilities manager, etc).

They would like to receive their phone calls (and make calls) wherever
they are.

We are looking for something between a "home" wireless telephone and a
cell-phone, with voice capability (not just a pager). Someone recalls
recently seeing an ad for "factory floor" wireless phones, but can't
remember the magazine or issue! We would like this to tie into our
PBX, so that when you dial the person's extension, you get their
protable phone.

(I'm not enjoying this any more than you are, believe me!)

Our office "campus" covers an area about 1/2 mile square.

Any recommendations?

Tom Perrine (tep)  Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon            UUCP: sun!suntan!tots!tep
Tactical and Training Systems Division  San Diego CA
"Harried: with preschoolers"   GENIE: T.PERRINE   +1 619 455 1330

hs1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hector Salgado-Galicia) (02/11/91)

>We are looking for something between a "home" wireless telephone and a
>cell-phone, with voice capability (not just a pager). Someone recalls
>recently seeing an ad for "factory floor" wireless phones, but can't
>remember the magazine or issue! We would like this to tie into our
>PBX, so that when you dial the person's extension, you get their
>portable phone.

A wireless PBX can be the solution to your problem. Actually you would
not have to buy a whole new PBX, but expand instead your actual
facilities installing radio ports. Several systems based on TDMA or
Spread Spectrum technologies are appearing in the market this year.

For additional information, you can look at:

 D. Postlethwaite, "Airwaves, architecture and tomorrow's PABX",
Communications International, May 1990, p. 60.

C. Buckingham, "A business cordless PABX telephone system on 800 MHz
based on the DECT technology", IEEE Communications Magazine, Jan. 1991,
p. 105.

system@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (system administrator) (02/16/91)

tots!tots.Logicon.COM!tep@ucsd.edu writes:

> We have a dozen or so technical people around the company who spend
> most of their time out of their official offices, working around our
> office complexes (computer system managers, in-house telephone people,
> facilities manager, etc).

> They would like to receive their phone calls (and make calls) wherever
> they are.

> We are looking for something between a "home" wireless telephone and a
> cell-phone, with voice capability (not just a pager)...
> Our office "campus" covers an area about 1/2 mile square.

At the recent Pacific Rim Computer and Communication show held here in
Vancouver, BC, the local GTE-owned telco (BCTel) had what you might be
looking for, althought the range appears to  fall a  bit short.  It is
advertised   as the   "Digital  Cordless  Telephone  System", and   is
described in a spec sheet, part of which is quoted below.  As far as I
know, the system  comes from England.    The flyer shows  a  flip-open
hand-held unit  (similar to   Motorola's small  cellular, but with  no
visible antenna).  It has on its  face fifteen buttons, twelve for the
TT pad, and   three  for   various  functions,  including a  bunch  of
"secondary" feature commands assigned to the TT pad.

"For business; At home; In Public Locations.  Public/Private networks".

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Digital cordless technology has been designed to accomodate pedestrian
mobility.  This means that as you walk around throughout your day, the
digital cordless phone is a perfect solution.

Digital  cordless service will  operate use a  network  of private and
public "base stations" -- and your own digital  cordless phone handset
 -- to link you to the entire traditional "wired" telephone network.

PRIVATE NETWORK

Digital  cordless   phones and base  stations   will   be purchased by
companies and by individuals   creating the private  cordless network.
In businesses and in homes, your phone will work off a compact central
base station  which has  a range of   about 100 metres.   A number  of
digital cordless phones can be registered to a single base station...

PUBLIC NETWORK

The public network will take up  where the private network  leaves off
 -- to create a  complete communications system  for people  on the go.
With the public network, you will use your  own digital cordless phone
handset within 100 metres of public base stations supplied by a public
cordless network provider.  These base stations will be available in a
wide variety of public locations so you  can make a call from wherever
you are.

They give a contact telephone number  of  604-293-6810 (This is for a
BCTel subsidiary operation called "BC Mobile".  Call them collect!

Steve Pershing, System Administrator

The QUESTOR PROJECT - Free Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more |

Usenet:  sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca      POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486
Phones:  Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682-6659        Vancouver, British Columbia
         Data/BBS:   +1 604 681-0670        Canada  V6E 4L2