[comp.dcom.telecom] How Will Digital Cellular Increase Capacity?

ellis@uunet.uu.net (John T Ellis) (02/11/91)

Digital cellular will increase capacity in the following manner.  The
first method under development (and actually being tested) is TDM -
Time Division Multiplexing.  The capacity increase on paper is 3:1 (3
times more than current analog).  The other method being looked at is
CDM - Code Division Multiplexing.  On paper it is said to provide an
increase of 20:1.

The biggest problem with these new technologies is the size of the
phone needed to implement them.  Currently the phone designs call for
some huge ie. garbage can, phone with an unbelievable power source.
So ... digital cellular is a ways off.

Motorola is currently working on a new technology called NAMPS -
Narrow band Advanced Mobile Phone Service.  This is an analog
technology that will increase capacity of current analog systems 3:1.

Hope this helps.

John T. Ellis 708-632-7857  Motorola Cellular
motcid!ellis@chg.mcd.mot.com

svoboda@uunet.uu.net (David Svoboda) (02/12/91)

One capacity limitation of current cellular is available bandwidth.
By lowering the bandwidth required by each speech channel, the total
capacity may be increased while maintaining the current total
bandwidth allotment of cellular.  Assuming that a digital transmission
of raw PCM data would require roughly the same bandwidth as the
corresponding analog signal, the PCM speech data can be compressed by
DSP techniques to require less bandwidth.

In fact, as the US standard now stands, a souped-up LPC technique is
used to achieve a robust three to one capacity increase per RF channel
over analog.

Dave Svoboda, Motorola CID, RTSG, Arlington Heights, IL
      uucp => {uunet|mcdchg|att}!motcid!svoboda
        internet => svoboda@void.rtsg.mot.com

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (02/12/91)

In article <74390@bu.edu.bu.edu>, telpc!tel@cdsdb1.att.com writes:

> Could someone please post something describing how digital cellular will
> increase capacity?  My supervisor and others in my group were trying to
> figure it out.

The proposed digital standards would multiplex three voice channels on
each radio channel, thus trippling the traffic capacity of each
existing cell site with no increase in spectrum space.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

af@sei.ucl.ac.be (Alain FONTAINE (Postmaster - NAD)) (02/15/91)

On 11 Feb 91 14:37:15 GMT John T. Ellis said:

>The biggest problem with these new technologies is the size of the
>phone needed to implement them.  Currently the phone designs call for
>some huge ie. garbage can, phone with an unbelievable power source.
>So ... digital cellular is a ways off.

Really? Did you see the size of a CD player two years before they
were on sale? I mean, not only the player on top of the big table,
but also the stuff hidden under the table...

AF

meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) (02/16/91)

In article <16804@accuvax.nwu.edu> John T Ellis <motcid!ellis@chg.
mcd.mot.com> writes:

> Digital cellular will increase capacity in the following manner.  The
> first method under development (and actually being tested) is TDM -
> Time Division Multiplexing.  The capacity increase on paper is 3:1 (3
> times more than current analog).  The other method being looked at is
> CDM - Code Division Multiplexing.  On paper it is said to provide an
> increase of 20:1.

Neither of these methods increases the capacity  of digital modulation
compared to analog modulation.  The  REAL reason for capacity increase
for digital  modulation is that low bit-rate  encoding (8 kb) has been
proposed for digital cellular.  In addition, digital modulation allows
for better-defined  cell  boundaries,  due to the  increased "capture"
quality of digital modulation.

All the CDM proposals employ low-bit rate encoding.  This confuses the
issue when  trying to compare it to  other methods of modulation which
may use 32 kb encoding.

Rolf Meier	Mitel Corporation