[comp.dcom.telecom] One-Number Card Warning

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (02/16/91)

As our Moderator   indicated  in a previous message,  there  is a  big
danger in giving out  your AT&T and/or  BOC  "one number" calling card
number - some carriers will allow it to be  used to complete a call to
*any* destination.  The charges will appear on your local phone bill.

And if you have an unrestricted  calling card on  the same account, it
will be difficult for you to dispute the  calls.  One  carrier that is
notorious  for  this is ComSystems.    I have been  quite  involved in
trying to get them to enforce the "one number"  card restrictions, but
haven't gotten anywhere.   What makes it worse is  that  they  have  a
10XXX access code, so someone can use  a one  number  card  to call to
anywhere  from  *any* phone they might be  using.   Note that it isn't
that they just aren't verifying the PIN,  as a  PIN that's neither the
normal nor the "one number" one  will be denied.   As a side note, the
first test call I made to confirm  the above was  to an out-of-service
number.   Despite the  lack  of supervision,  the  call was billed for
three minutes, at a rate of $3.50 or so.  What a bargain!

I stumbled upon  a packet that  ComSystems had  sent  my  living group
regarding our payphone - they wanted us to switch it to their service.
The packet is  two years old now,  but probably not  much has changed.
Our comission for  the first three  months was a  full 50% of  all  0+
calls, and 20% thereafter.  They sure must  be marking up the  cost of
the calls in order to provide such a handsome commission!

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu

[Moderator's Note: I of  course would not tolerate that  sort of thing
on my bill for a minute.  *Any* 'part three'  on my  IBT billing which
comes from some AOS *always* gets denied immediatly with a warning not
to pull that stunt again on me if they know what is good for them.   PAT]

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/17/91)

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> writes:

> What makes it worse is  that  they  have  a
> 10XXX access code, so someone can use  a one  number  card  to call to
> anywhere  from  *any* phone they might be  using.   Note that it isn't
> that they just aren't verifying the PIN,  as a  PIN that's neither the
> normal nor the "one number" one  will be denied.

Not that I would advocate anything improper, but (in the style of Jack
Lord's Hawaii Five-O character) suppose, just suppose...

You happened to dial a call to a supervising busy test or the Bell
Canada newsline and used as a calling card the phone number of the
corporate headquarters of ComSystems followed by XXXX (your choice).
Do you suppose that the company might be encouraged to close that hole
if enough people caused bogus charges to appear the firm's own phone
bill?

Just wondering.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !