[comp.dcom.telecom] Answer Supervision From Loop Start Circuits

bote@uunet.uu.net (John Boteler) (02/10/91)

Tom Lowe describes a costly and painful procedure for extracting
answer supervision from NJ Bell.

Although my suggestion may not meet his exact requirements, it does
work flawlessly for my voice response systems.

Solution: order CENTREX. That's it! No special tariffs, no unnecessary
pain (other than the usual CENTREX programming screw-ups), and you get
features as part of the deal. The answer supervision is provided as an
OSI (Open Switch Interval) at least on 3*Way calls, and possibly on
single outbound calls when served by a #1ESS. #5s and their ilk are
another question.

This comes in handy for several applications I have running right now;
after finding damn few PBX manufacturers which sell PBX providing loop
interrupt to the stations, I like CENTREX better every day.

[Author's Note: Would ground start circuits provide the signalling
desired? Since they are engineered circuits, it would seem that such
signalling could be provided without a lot of pain. I don't see DOD
trunks as being special: many PBXs are configured this way.]

John Boteler   bote@csense                {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703 241 BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (02/11/91)

In article <74365@bu.edu.bu.edu>, csense!bote@uunet.uu.net (John
Boteler) writes:

> Tom Lowe describes a costly and painful procedure for extracting
> answer supervision from NJ Bell.

> Solution: order CENTREX. That's it! No special tariffs, no unnecessary
> pain (other than the usual CENTREX programming screw-ups), and you get
> features as part of the deal. The answer supervision is provided as an
> OSI (Open Switch Interval) at least on 3*Way calls, and possibly on
> single outbound calls when served by a #1ESS. #5s and their ilk are
> another question.

I would like to know what sort of central office John is talking
about.  Here in NJ, I have seen Centrex provided by 5 crossbar, 1ESS,
1AESS, and 5ESS.  None of those switches routinely provide answer
supervision to centrex subscriber lines.

What all of these switches do provide is an open circuit interval (500
msec for ESS, ~100 msec for 5 crossbar) when the far end party
disconnects.  This is not supervision.  This indicates an abandoned
call, and is provided to the remaining party after the other party has
disconnected, on both originating and terminating calls.

Answer supervision, which indicates when the called party has
answered, is provided under tarriff, and usually consists of a battery
reversal toward the calling party when the called party answers.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/15/91)

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> writes:

> What all of these switches do provide is an open circuit interval (500
> msec for ESS, ~100 msec for 5 crossbar) when the far end party
> disconnects.  This is not supervision.

While very much a hack, it works like this:

On a 1(A)ESS, if a line is furnished from a Centrex port, the
three-way has a peculiar property. With the first call in progress,
the Centrex party flashes the hook for a second dial tone. The call
progresses and when it supervises there is an open loop signal AT THE
MOMENT OF SUPERVISION. Actually, I find this most annoying. I add the
second call to the connection and when it comes off hook, about 500
milliseconds later there is a big KA-PLUNK (the "supervision
indication").

The problem with this hack is that you need a first call up before the
trick works. In scummy Pac*Bell Land, that call must be supervised (or
incoming) before you can even get three-way dial tone. So somebody
somewhere has to be paying for that other call. It's a neat hack and
it really does provide reliable supervision indication, but it is also
a bit cumbersome.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/16/91)

John Boteler <csense!bote@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> [Author's Note: Would ground start circuits provide the signalling
> desired? Since they are engineered circuits, it would seem that such
> signalling could be provided without a lot of pain. I don't see DOD
> trunks as being special: many PBXs are configured this way.]

This prompts a question: Do other telcos (than Pac*Bell) always
consider ground start lines to be design circuits? A number of posts
over the years have seemed to carry that assumption. As far as
Pac*Bell is concerned, ground start or loop start are simply
alternative ways of supplying dial tone. They do not define PBX
trunks, business service, or line conditioning.

Any line of any COS can be either ground start or loop start,
including residence. There is no extra charge for loop start, either
for installation or monthly. However, converting a line from one to
the other carries a charge roughly equivalent to the installation fee.

Does "ground start" imply certain classes of service in other parts of
the country?

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/18/91)

Boteler) writes:

>Although my suggestion may not meet his exact requirements, it does
>work flawlessly for my voice response systems.

>Solution: order CENTREX. That's it! No special tariffs, no unnecessary
>pain (other than the usual CENTREX programming screw-ups), and you get
>features as part of the deal. The answer supervision is provided as an
>OSI (Open Switch Interval) at least on 3*Way calls, and possibly on
>single outbound calls when served by a #1ESS. #5s and their ilk are
>another question.

I hope John doesn't build his business around this "hidden feature"
that he thinks he has found because sometime in the near future it is
likely to disappear.  None of the modern digital switches produce an
open-interval at the point that he is looking for it (can be arranged
for open circuit at disconnect only).  When John's LEC cuts him over
to a digital switch, he will probably complain long and loud because
some of his equipment doesn't work anymore.

If you really need answer supervision, it is available with
ground-start PBX lines in the form of a line reversal.  There may be
other solutions too but trying to interpret an open switching interval
as answer supervision is a big mistake (IMHO); it will likely bite you
in the backside later.

Ken Abrams           uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell        kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield          (voice) 217-753-7965