[comp.dcom.telecom] Two Questions From a Novice

CMWOLF@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu (02/10/91)

Pardon a simple question from a college student ...

What are the specified voltages that occur on the phone lines during
its normal operating phases?

Also, how can so many people's conversations be transmitted over so
few wires, such as in the city, where there are only so many wires on
the poles?

Christopher Wolf, Electrical Engineer
MWOLF@MTUS5  Michigan Tech University

Jim.Redelfs@iugate.unomaha.edu (Jim Redelfs) (02/16/91)

Christopher Wolf wrote:

> What are the specified voltages that occur on the phone lines during
> its normal operating phases?

Speaking only of POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service)  - my only area of
"expertise", normal   dialtone  current   varies between  48-52   VDC.
Ringing current is around 100 VAC.

> Also, how can so many people's conversations be transmitted over so
> few wires, such as in the city, where there are only so many wires on
> the poles?

Cable, my friend ...  cable.  I suspect that  the "wires" you see  are
either electrical  (not  telephone) or  telephone cables.   Most MAJOR
cities  have  the bulk of  their   LARGE cables  buried  or in conduit
underground.  900-pair  cables (900 individual "lines") are  common in
my area   (Omaha),  but  the   lesser, "distribution"  cables, usually
100-pairs or less, are commonly  found hanging  between rows of houses
or along alleys.

Multiplexing, or carrying multiple conversations on  a single pair, is
an aging,  but widely  used, technology  - especially  between Central
Office switches.  Telephone voice  frequencys   are very  narrow  (low
fidelity) and, therefore,  several can   be  allocated to the  various
frequencies available on a single, copper pair.

As existing, copper-pair  cable facilities  reach their capacity,  the
solution  is  to  either place  more   cable,   or install "Pair Gain"
systems.   One used  in my   specific  service area  is called   SLC96
(Slick-96) where, through the use of special equipment on BOTH ends of
the cable, 96 "pairs" are achieved on the end by  using FOUR, physical
pairs of wire.

Optical fiber cable is fast replacing large,  copper-wire cable.  This
is a whole different ballgame -- transmitting thousands of conversations,
digitally, on a beam of light!

JR

Copernicus V1.02
Elkhorn, NE [200:5010/666.14] (200:5010/2.14)

juliet@mhuxo.att.com (Juliet Sutherland) (02/19/91)

In article <telecom11.123.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, Jim.Redelfs@iugate.
unomaha.edu (Jim Redelfs) writes:

> As existing, copper-pair  cable facilities  reach their capacity,  the
> solution  is  to  either place  more   cable,   or install "Pair Gain"
> systems.   One used  in my   specific  service area  is called   SLC96
> (Slick-96) where, through the use of special equipment on BOTH ends of
> the cable, 96 "pairs" are achieved on the end by  using FOUR, physical
> pairs of wire.

One minor quibble with the above.  The SLC(R)-96 and SLC Series 5
carrier systems actually use 10 physical pairs.  Each 96 line system
uses four primary T1 lines and one protection T1 line (assuming it is
supported by copper feeder rather than a co-located fiber mux).  Each
T1 line uses two pairs (one each for transmit and receive) for a total
of 10 physical pairs.  There may also be additional pairs associated
with multiple systems for such things as test access, order wire, etc.
The pair gain is still substantial, however.

SLC is a registered trademark of AT&T Network Systems.

Juliet Sutherland       Digital Loop Carrier Systems
AT&T Bell Laboratories  juliet@mhuxo.att.com