[comp.dcom.telecom] "Independent" Coin Phones

Jim.Redelfs@iugate.unomaha.edu (Jim Redelfs) (02/09/91)

On 30-JAN-1991, the Moderator wrote:

> Here in the Chicago area we are seeing a shift away from those
> obnoxious devices also, but not as quickly as other places. The 7-11
> stores here have the discretion to use the phone service of their
> choice, but the two 7-11's I frequent both use genuine IBT phones
> with LD defaulted to AT&T.

> The 7-11 owner turned him down saying he had to use phones 'the
> public would be happy with'. Many merchants are beginning to
> discover the extra commission they receive isn't worth the hostility
> they get from the public.  PAT]

I learned, the HARD way, that even calling LOCALLY, one must use
caution "experimenting" with "Acme" Pay Phones, Inc. devices!  As a
TelCo employee, I receive a concession on all its services, including
intra-lata toll AND local calls billed to my calling card.

I didn't have my coins with me the other day and, needing to place a
call home, I simply walked up to the coin phone and dialed 0+7d and
entered my calling card number.  My next bill made it obvious to me
that my employee concession applies ONLY to such calls made from TELCO
coins - NOT independent stations!

Such a local, calling card-billed call, made from a U S WEST
Communications set normally costs 37 cents.  The call I made from the
"Acme" station came to around $1.50!!

Live and learn!

JR

Copernicus V1.02
Elkhorn, NE [200:5010/666.14] (200:5010/2.14)

[Moderator's Note: It is interesting, isn't it, how the whole
alternative telephone industry got started -- the non-telco, non-AT&T
networks and instruments -- on the theory that AT&T / Ma Bell were
such 'ripoffs' that had to be put in their place. And now the more you
shop around; the more you use the competition, the better telco and
'genuine Bell' service looks. Some of us were saying 'I told you so'
several years ago. I'm beginning to feel vindicated.   PAT]

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/11/91)

On Feb 10 at  1:21, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> And now the more you
> shop around; the more you use the competition, the better telco and
> 'genuine Bell' service looks. Some of us were saying 'I told you so'
> several years ago. I'm beginning to feel vindicated.   PAT]

Yes, indeed, the more you shop around ... but is it not nice to be
able to shop around? Do you honestly believe that 'genuine Bell' would
be at the level it is today if it had no competition nipping at its
heels? Do you think, for instance, that AT&T would even today be
providing digital connections nationwide if it were not for Sprint and
others?

It is important also to remember that COCOTs are an aberation. They
are a cancer on the body telecom. To say that the MFJ is solely
responsible for COCOTs is akin to saying that modern medicine produced
AIDS. COCOTs were created and continue to exist courtesy of the
malignant neglect of our regulatory bodies various. COCOTs could be
cleaned up overnight if the same enforcement enthusiasm was employed
as is to ordinary street vendors. And it would happen for sure if the
public would get off its complacent butt and demand through its
legislature, regulatory agencies, and last but not least, its
pocketbook the cleansing of this scourge.

Please do not blame the marketplace and competition for something that
exists with the cooperation of its victims. Did it ever occur to
anyone that maybe the reason that 'Bell' phones are making a return is
that market forces are coming to bear? If COCOTs become unprofitable
because an informed public stops using them, or insists that all calls
be carried by a legitimate IEC, owner-operators will ultimately
migrate to some other business. The void created will be filled with
utility phones.

I still believe the benefits of the MFJ far outweigh the liabilities.
Whenever you substitute 'marketplace' for 'monopoly' there will be
glitches and inequities in the short term. Just look at the Soviet
Union and its stuggle with 'capitalism' for now. But give the
marketplace forces a chance to kick in before issuing blanket
condemnations for a system. An "I told you so" at this point is
premature.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

kevin@gatech.edu (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (02/15/91)

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>On Feb 10 at  1:21, TELECOM Moderator writes:

>> And now the more you
>> shop around; the more you use the competition, the better telco and
>> 'genuine Bell' service looks. Some of us were saying 'I told you so'
>> several years ago. I'm beginning to feel vindicated.   PAT]

>Yes, indeed, the more you shop around ... but is it not nice to be
>able to shop around? Do you honestly believe that 'genuine Bell' would
>be at the level it is today if it had no competition nipping at its
>heels? Do you think, for instance, that AT&T would even today be
>providing digital connections nationwide if it were not for Sprint and
>others?

Indeed it IS important to be able to shop around.  I find it
fascinating that people will argue in favor of a return to a single,
monolithic phone industry, yet noone seems to want to return to a
single U.S. automobile manufacturer.  Why is it that people want AT&T
to be the only game in town for telecom, but no one wants Ford to be
the only game in town for transportation?

In the early days of the auto, you could buy a cheap car, with few
features, and a choice of colors, as long as your color was black.  If
you didn't like it, you had to have a car custom-built.

In the early days of telecom, you could get any service you wanted, as
long as you wanted a service provided by Ma Bell.  If you didn't like
it, you could do without.

Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/17/91)

"Kevin P. Kleinfelter" <msa3b!kevin@gatech.edu> writes:

> In the early days of telecom, you could get any service you wanted, as
> long as you wanted a service provided by Ma Bell.  If you didn't like
> it, you could do without.

The moment you introduce choices and competition, actually  creating a
marketplace,  there  is necessity for   all (especially customers)  to
become informed  and active in  the commerce. While  it is regrettable
that the Aunt Millies of the world are forced to participate in a game
not of their choosing, restricting the rest  of us to Hobsen's choices
is hardly fair either.

Before divestiture, the regulators (the gummit) took care of us. There
was no problem selecting  carriers, services, or  equipment. If we did
not like what was offered, if it cost too much, or the service was not
what was expected, it  was  very  simple: we  did without.  Now we can
select anything we want from whatever  is available, from excellent to
very poor. Granted, what we  used  to  have was frequently better than
the worst of what is available today, but today's best  is better than
ever.

But we  are, as a result,   all  thrust  into the  game of choices. We
cannot just sit back and let "the telephone company"  do  it to us any
longer.  As Mr. Kleinfelter points out, no one  seems to  advocate the
abolition of a free marketplace because he made a mistake purchasing a
car or TV set. But listen to the cries of doom when  a COCOT  rips off
someone for a few  extra bucks on  a long  distance  call. "It is  all
Judge Greene's fault." Baloney! If the public does not like COCOTs, it
will not use them and they will go away.  If the public  is too stupid
to know the difference, then it gets what it deserves.

I refuse the have Big Brother take care of  me because  there are some
among us who are too lazy to take care  of themselves. I  am  a fan of
divestiture. My only complaint is that the  Judge stopped short of the
ideal: competition in the LEC marketplace. Believe me, if such a thing
existed now, my  home phone   would not be  served by  a 1948 crossbar
switch.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (02/17/91)

In article <telecom11.117.12@eecs.nwu.edu> msa3b!kevin@gatech.edu
(Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

>john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>> On Feb 10 at 1:21, TELECOM Moderator writes:

>>> And now the more you shop around; the more you use the
>>> competition, the better telco and 'genuine Bell' service looks.
>>> Some of us were saying 'I told you so' several years ago. I'm
>>> beginning to feel vindicated.  PAT]

>> Yes, indeed, the more you shop around ... but is
>> it not nice to be able to shop around? Do you honestly believe
>> that 'genuine Bell' would be at the level it is today if it had no
>> competition nipping at its heels? Do you think, for instance, that
>> AT&T would even today be providing digital connections nationwide if
>> it were not for Sprint and >>others?  >

    [automobile analogy deleted]

> In the early days of telecom, you could get any service you wanted, as
> long as you wanted a service provided by Ma Bell.  If you didn't like
> it, you could do without.

  I  have  been reading the stream  of  complaints  for quite a while.
Personally, my or my clients' phone needs are not sophisticated enough
to have encountered most of the difficulties or problems. (Shockingly,
I have  also never been  slammed - did you  guys get on a secret 'slam
me' list ?)  However, to be  fair and consistent,  if you are going to
curse de'judge  and bitch about  the  MFJ shouldn't you also enumerate
everything  that was wrong  or   defficient about   the phone  network
*before* the world changed ? As far as I can see, the  main 'cost' has
been aggressive and  sometimes borderline   marketing tactics.   Well,
sorry, but that seems to  be a side effect  of  competition in an open
market.  There  are good  guys and bad  guys and you have to  learn to
tell the difference.  Perhaps we should have a single breakfast cereal
manufacturer and another FCC (Federal Cereal Commission),  if you want
to regulate and  restrict every industry  with  questionable marketing
approaches.

Jeff Sicherman

IZZYAS1@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (02/18/91)

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com>writes:

> But listen to the cries of doom when  a COCOT  rips off
> someone for a few  extra bucks on  a long  distance  call. "It is  all
> Judge Greene's fault." Baloney! If the public does not like COCOTs, it
> will not use them and they will go away.  If the public  is too stupid
> to know the difference, then it gets what it deserves.

Agreed, but John, we often aren't given much of a choice. For example
when I needed to call someone from a shopping center in Vista, and
found the whole place wired with Ultra-Rip-Off (TM) phones, that
wanted $1.75 for a call. I had to go miles, like three, to find a real
Pac*Bell phone that would charge me only $0.40 for the same call (I
was going away from where I was calling). I bet that if you had a
COCOT and an LEC pay phone right next to each other, 99% of passers by
would choose the LEC phone. Most people have the savvy to avoid COCOTS
if given a choice. The point is that we are rarely presented with that
choice. The same applies to 10XXX blocking. AOS only exist because we
can't (or are deceived into believing we can't) reach our prefered
carrier.

Andy Jacobson  <izzyas1@oac.ucla.edu> or  <izzyas1@UCLAMVS.bitnet>

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/18/91)

Andy Jacobson <IZZYAS1@mvs.oac.ucla.edu> writes:

> Agreed, but John, we often aren't given much of a choice. For example
> when I needed to call someone from a shopping center in Vista, and
> found the whole place wired with Ultra-Rip-Off (TM) phones, that
> wanted $1.75 for a call. I had to go miles, like three, to find a real
> Pac*Bell phone that would charge me only $0.40 for the same call (I
> was going away from where I was calling).

And so, you confirm my statements about the marketplace. The fact is,
you went three miles out of your way to avoid dropping any money into
a device that you deemed unworthy of your business. Granted, in the
short term, many will be inconvenienced, overcharged, and otherwise
put upon.  We Americans are always looking for the instant, quick fix.
If we can keep our shirt on long enough and let the marketplace do its
inevitable work, COCOTs will go away by themselves without gummit
meddling or interference. And the force that causes their demise will
be the most powerful in the world: economics. This is far superior to
piling on layers of unenforcable regulations or some sort of "quick
fix" legislation.

When people go miles out of their way to find utility phones, buy and
use cellular phones, or just avoid using the phones altogether, COCOTs
will eventually experience the death they so well deserve.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/19/91)

In article <telecom11.128.2@eecs.nwu.edu>, IZZYAS1@mvs.oac.ucla.edu
(Andy Jacobson) writes:

> found the whole place wired with Ultra-Rip-Off (TM) phones, that
> wanted $1.75 for a call. I had to go miles, like three, to find a real
> Pac*Bell phone that would charge me only $0.40 for the same call

And how much did that three mile drive cost you, in time and
inconvenience?

Sometimes I feel like John Higdon, amazed at the trouble people will
put them to to save a nickle or make a point. But then I dutifully
clip coupons and comparison shop and go out of my way to find a free
automatic teller. I'll make a special trip at lunch to get diskettes
for $7.00 instead of $10.00 a box.

Anyway (dragging my train of thought bodily back on the tracks and, to
mix a metaphor, pinning it to the mat) just how much is that honest
Bell coin phone worth to you?

peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com

IZZYAS1@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (02/20/91)

And john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) said:

>And so, you confirm my statements about the marketplace. The fact is,
>you went three miles out of your way to avoid dropping any money into
>a device that you deemed unworthy of your business. Granted, in the

Now wait just a minute. First, never in my post did I say I went out
of the way to use a real phone. (I call COCOTs "decoy phones" to my
friends with less telephonic inclinations). Although I stopped at that
shopping center only to use a phone and it was absolutely on my way to
go down the road a piece, anyone who was there shopping probably would
have been inconvenienced to do so. (Especially as one person using the
decoy phone appeared to be waiting for a ride.) I doubt anyone would
chose to avoid a shopping center because of the stripe of pay phone.
This is not necessarily because people are too stupid, don't care, or
are happy with it, it is because it is not a deciding factor in their
need to shop there in the first place. Once there though, it is quite
impractical to stage a protest, or to forego an important call. Very
few businesses are likely to suffer a loss of patronage due to their
choice of a decoy pay phone, and in my example, the phones are not
directly tied to the stores, but the mall management, which has no
presence at all. Maybe COCOTs are too much a trifle to be effectively
boycotted. Maybe though, use does not connote approval, but instead an
effective extortion campaign.

I was lucky, I, in that circumstance, could opt out. Often, I have no
choice. I could give a dozen examples where I capitulated and paid not
a pittance to talk to someone. I did (and do) not do so _willingly_.

Andy Jacobson<izzyas1@oac.ucla.edu> or <izzyas1@UCLAMVS.bitnet>

briang@eng.sun.com (Brian Gordon) (02/20/91)

<(Andy Jacobson) writes:

<> found the whole place wired with Ultra-Rip-Off (TM) phones, that
<> wanted $1.75 for a call. I had to go miles, like three, to find a real
<> Pac*Bell phone that would charge me only $0.40 for the same call

<And how much did that three mile drive cost you, in time and
<inconvenience?

<Sometimes I feel like John Higdon, amazed at the trouble people will
<put them to to save a nickle or make a point. But then I dutifully
<clip coupons and comparison shop and go out of my way to find a free
<automatic teller. I'll make a special trip at lunch to get diskettes
<for $7.00 instead of $10.00 a box.

Well, on the phone bill we got on Friday, there were two calls to the
same number, one for four minutes and the second, a half-hour later, for
seven minutes, both made on an AT&T Calling Card from pay-phones by
dialing 0 803 xxx yyyy.  The four minute call went through a brand X
carrier and cost just under $4.  The seven minute call went through AT&T
and cost under $2.  On a half-hour call, the difference would
presumably be spectacular.  A problem is that it's hard to predict
WHAT the difference will be!

Brian G. Gordon	  briang@Sun.COM (if you trust exotic mailers)
		...!sun!briangordon (if you route it yourself)