[comp.dcom.telecom] Intra-LATA Private Lines

rsj@ox.com (Rick Jaffe) (02/20/91)

 From our office in Purchase, New York (near White Plains) we run
fourteen ARD's and a 56Kb data line into various locations in the Wall
Street and Midtown areas.

Attempting to save money, we priced a "CO mux" from NYTel.  This is a
T1 line coupled with a rented multiplexer in a NYC CO.  We would
provide the T1 multiplexer in our Purchase office.

Three problems:

 . We prefer to rent both multiplexers from our telecommunications line
  vendor, so that only one telephone call need be made in the event of
  a problem.

 . NYTel refuses to allow digital traffic over their "CO mux", so our
  56Kb line can't be routed this way.

 . Price:  NYTel charges so much for the multiplexer that the T1 line
  doesn't come close to breaking even at our current usage level of 15
  DS0's.

These fifteen circuits are "intra-LATA".  Do we have any alternatives?

USMail: OTA Limited Partnership, 101 N. Main, Suite 410, Ann Arbor, MI  48104
Phone:	+1 313 930-1888	  FAX:	+1 313 930-6636
UUCP:	<backbone>!umich!leebai!rsj    Internet: rsj@ox.com

Barton.Bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (02/20/91)

In article <telecom11.132.9@eecs.nwu.edu>, rsj@ox.com (Rick Jaffe)
writes:

>  From our office in Purchase, New York (near White Plains) we run
> fourteen ARD's and a 56Kb data line into various locations in the Wall
> Street and Midtown areas.

>  . NYTel refuses to allow digital traffic over their "CO mux", so our
>   56Kb line can't be routed this way.

The 'you-control-their-DACS' version of CO Muxing in NY is called NRS
(Network Reconfig Service) and costs about $100/mo for a T1, and about
$5 (the wrong person priced it during a strike, and they WILL raise
it!) per seperate DS0 (e.g. DDS line). N.B. that DDS-II -is- available
and DOES cost vastly less that old rip-off DDS. In NY ANY DDS speed
from 2.4k to 56k with or without secondary channel is the SAME price.
56k with secondary channel passes ALL the bits you need for 64kb, so
order that and buy GOOD CSU/DSUs that can hack the latest speeds. Just
because there is no tarrif doesn't mean it won't work.

A T1 into the NRS DACS lets you dynamically route DS0s! If you paid
for a SECOND T1 connection out of their DACS (you are controlling
which DS0 goes where - remember) and into their CO Mux service, you
could route the voice lines there, and in NRS route the DDS line to a
DDS-II ckt.

How much is a seperate DDS-II link to upstate, though? All this NRS
stuff to simply drop out a single DDS DS0 may not be worth it. If you
have several DS0s of data and the rest voice, NRS + CO muxing should
work. It may also be possible to get VOICE off the NRS DACS, just ask,
and if so it solves all your problems!

Actually the CO Muxing is done with a D4 channel bank and COULD easily
handle voice and data. Getting them to do it is another problem.

If ALL your ckts were 56/64kb DDS lines and you put the somewhat
expensive (but readily available from several sources) voice
compressor+mux boxes you can pack 2 or more voice ckts + lots of data
onto each 56/64k line. Are several voice ckts terminated at the same
location?? Your T1 -> DS0 splitting could still be NRS. I am
positive that CO Mux here in MA can be used for DATA and we are also
in a NYNEX brat's clutches.

Nynex product managers now seem to BE Nynex troops rented (for big
bucks no doubt) to NYTel and NETel. They ARE listening to customers at
last, and are very afraid of Met Fiber and Teleport, etc. It is quite
possible they have what you want or could provide it under special
assembly.

If you just needed analog 3002 data ckts at each site, you can easily
derive them from DDS ckts (a $380 card - neat trick). But you need the
ring down functions that a channel bank provides so easily.

ONLY use DDS-II, not the old DDS, and DO check out their NRS service.
If you had T1s or bigger to distribute, you could be talking to Met
Fiber, Teleport, Locate, or even Manhatten Cable TV. For voice and DDS
loops, you are probably stuck with NYNEX.

Do hack your way past the sales types and get to Product Managers.
They MAY have the answers, and DO need/deserve feedback from pissed
customers.

And you owe me mail if you uncover anything of great interest.