[comp.dcom.telecom] Comprehensive International Phone Book Wanted

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) (02/21/91)

motcid!ellis@uunet.uu.net (John T Ellis) writes:

> "Let's see, today I want to call Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.  Looking in
> my comprehensive, international book from ####, I see that the country
> code for Mexico is 52 and the city code for Puebla, Puebla is 22."

Well, for this example I can just look at my trusty White Pages
directory in the OTC International Direct Dial pages and find:

Mexico	$2.10				AEST less 16-18 hours
					Tones: Ring=E, Busy=D
	0011 + 52 + area code + local no
Acapulco	748	Merida		99	Tijuana		66
Ciudad Juarez	161	Mexico City	5	Torreon		17
Guadalajara	36	Puebla		22	Veracruz	29

E = Short tone followed by a longer pause
D = Short sharp tone repeated at frequent intervals

Of course if the town in Mexico hadn't been on this list I would have
to call the international operator. Your mileage will vary.

David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au