[comp.dcom.telecom] SaudiNet: Sending Email to Servicemembers

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (02/21/91)

Volkhart Baumgaertner asked about getting e-mail to U.S. troops in the
Gulf.  This message from kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) should help.

 Newsgroups: can.general,bc.general
 Subject: SaudiNet: Sending mail to servicemembers in the Gulf
 Date: 19 Feb 91 08:25:18 GMT

                        The Saudi Connection

                             Guidelines

  The Saudi Connection is copyright 1990 by Mark Niwonger. It is a
  private net which 1B Systems Management Limited has accessed by
  accepting the terms and limitations imposed upon all member systems
  within SaudiNet. It is not available on any network backbone.

  Users are not permitted to read messages posted to SaudiNet, since
  they are of a private nature, but those wishing to show support for
  servicemen in the Gulf area are encouraged to contact them.

  There are NO guarantees that any message will be delivered to Saudi
  Arabia. Every effort will be made to do so however. At this time
  approximately 98% of all messages entered in the SAUDI group are
  being delivered to Saudi Arabia.  The ones not being delivered
  are due to address errors.  All properly address letters are being
  delivered to the Military Post Office in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.

  1B Systems Management accepts no legal responsibility for messages
  posted to the net, but will do it's best to see to it that they
  are delivered to the SaudiNet distribution centre in the United
  States within 48 hours of their receipt here.

  All outbound messages are censored at the distribution site at the
  request of the United States Department of Defense, and racial slurs,
  incitement to war, etc. will be removed from messages prior to delivery
  to Saudi Arabia. SaudiNet reserves the right to reject inappropriate
  messages without explanation, should they be outside the operating
  guidelines set by the Department of Defense.

Address your messages to: saudinet@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca

Message text entered must be in the following format:

<for specific individual>               <for any serviceman>

  LOCAL FORCES				LOCAL FORCES
  {receipients name}{receipients SSN}   Any Servicemember
  {receipients Unit}DEPLOYED            Operation Desert Storm
  [APO/FPO] New York, NY {Zip Code}	APO New York 09848-0006

               NOTE:  If you know the recipients' Zip Code *use* it
                      otherwise use the generic Zip Code for the US
                      Military Post Office. For service personnel
                      stationed on ships in the Gulf, use FPO
                      NY, NY 03866-0006. For 2nd. Marine Division,
		      use FPO NY NY 09502-0204.

  {Body of Letter (ie, the message)}

Are these messages censored?

Yes, they are censored by SaudiNet originators for such things as:
racial slurs, profanity, incitation to war and obvious things of that
nature.  This is at the direction of the Department of Defense of the
United States. (Regulations from the Canadian military, when provided,
will also be adhered to.)

Will there be two-way mail?

Eventually there will be.  At this time there is not but we are
working on it.  We are in the process of sending volunteers to Saudi
Arabia to set up receiving staations.  We are working directly with
the US Command Central, specifically through Lt.  General James
Cassitty and his staff.

What's in it for me?

The feeling that comes from doing a nice thing for someone.

Is there any charge for sending a message?

No - SaudiNet is a public service offered by bulletin board operators
throughout the world. 1B Systems Management Limited delivers messages
originating here without charge.

We have contacted the Canadian military, and our local MP, with regard
to establishing liaison between the American mail depot in Saudi
Arabia and Canadian forces serving in Qatar and elsewhere. If you have
Canadian FPO addressing information, use it in the format shown above,
and we will do our best to deliver it for you. When we have received
word from the military, we will advise everyone via a post in
can.general.

Adopt a Marine Pen-Pal today! Send your mail| ANY MARINE
via saudinet@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca, and use the | H&S Co.Maint.Plt.2nd. LAI Btn.
address on the right to reach our 'adopted' | (Deployed)
unit. (Email me for instructions reaching others)| FPO NY NY 09502-0204