[comp.dcom.telecom] Some Comments on WUTCo Replies

0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) (02/21/91)

cables, 99700000 <haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu> writes:

> With all due credit to WU, and hey did some fine engineering, the
> AT&T effort was a lot more extensive.	WU's undersea amplifier was
> a single amplifier located not too far offshore, primarily to get
> some gain over the noise from all the other cables passing nearby.
> AT&T had to provide a whole string of amplifiers the entire length
> of the cable.

       No doubt that AT&t's work represented a leap in the technology,
but AT&T made no effort to credit the place that gave them a launching
pad for it.  I once met an old ITT submarine cable engineer and one of
his projects was to build a locating loop and amplifier that could
hang on several miles of cable over the side of a ship to listen for
the broken end of a cable one the ocean floor.	He achieved more than
100 dB of gain in a pressure-tight box with triode tubes ... ten of
them down there!  Solid-state engineers are probably not impressed,
but those readers who understand hollow-state electronics will be
suitably impressed.  The old telegraphers were truly heroes of mega-
lithic telecom; people who have been lost in the mists of telephone
history.  I regard as a lot more than simply "fine engineering." It
was pioneering.  Let's not trivialize their contributions.

	Then, Gabe Wiener <gabe@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu> poses the
question:

>... what is WU up to these days?

        And our Moderator gave a pretty good rundown, except I'm not
too sure about how WUTCo is going to separate their TWX/Telex domestic
operations from Easylink, because they ahd in fact made many of the
old TWX and Telex machines points on the Easylink network with
aliases.

        From what I perceive about WUTCo, having interfaced and
watched them for many years, they are likely to hae made a deal in
which AT&t does the switching and transmission for them, winding up
paying out so much they will lose what's left of their now-ragged
shirt on that.  WUTCo just seems to have had a financial death wish
since about 1925, when they borrowed so much they never were able to
pay off their debt despite repeated concessions, and literal handouts
from the Feds.  One could always sense in WUTCo's approach to the
Feds, in both regulatory and contract matters, a choir singing,
"There'll Always be a WUTCo," (to the tune of "There'll always be an
England.")

WUTCo liked to file FCC pleadings that referred to AT&T as "the
Telephone company," while they called themselves, "the Telegraph
company." (Emphasis on the capital T's they really used.  I think that
style spoke volumes about how WUTCo saw itself ... as an institution
of telecommunications the government and people of the United States
would feed forever; some sort of crown jewel of American history of a
class akin to the Liberty Bell.  WUTCo actually got away with it for
several decade, too.  Meantime, their debt bomb just got bigger and
bigger, while their top management fiddled away ... literally.  I have
plenty of personal stories for the bar after this session!

        Finally, Gabe ponders what with all the Fax machines, how can
Telex even be a viable business today (sic)?

	I do maintain some contact with the good old Telex business,
having pounded Baudot keyboards in about 70 nations around the globe,
(pity my poor PC keyboard!) and have found that Telex to and among the
developed nations is in rapid decline. But, Telex actually got out
there to more of the underdeveloped countries far before international
telephony, to an extent that if your business is with the Third World,
Telex is still the prime medium of communications.  It is, however, a
mixed bag, for some of the least developed never had much Telex, and
fax is making strong inroads there, too.  They can import fax machines
cheaper than teleprinters and use their now-developing phone network.
The upshot: I fear Gabe's portent of an early grave for Telex is on
the mark; it just isn't dying instantly.  By 2000, it probably will be
gone.