[comp.dcom.telecom] Criss-Cross Services / Publications

nathan@uunet.uu.net (Nathan Banks) (02/21/91)

Is there a concise list of criss-cross pubs, numbers, services
available?

When I was in college in SWB territory I would call the BO when the
roomates could not recognise a long distance call. The BO would criss
cross it for me, giving me a name and *sometimes* an address. When
presenting this info to my roomates someone whould recognise the call
and 'fess up and (*usually*) cough up the $. The only restriction was
that I had to give her an item number on the bill and read the number
to her. When she concurred with what I read with what was on her
screen, the info came through. (I never tried exceeding the boundary
conditions.)

I grew up in Houston. I remember using the criss-crosses in the
Houston Public Library - downtown, the libraries up here don't have
any.

Now I am in *rural* Contel territory and when the bill contains LD
calls (he** just about every d**n line is LD) that are two months old,
I start getting the same behavior from my family as I got from my
roomates back in college.  No I don't take the phone bill out of the
kid's allowance -- but that's not a bad idea. I do like to audit the
bill and make sure the CCN hasn't been stolen and the big ticket items
are my own.

Anyway, Contel folks can't criss cross like the SWB Lady can. They
tell me that all they can do is call the number I am interested in and
find who is there. Well I can do that, but of course I have to pay for
the d**n call again.

The best I ever got from an operator (SWB|GTE|CONTEL) is a name-place
request.  Has anyone out there every gotten an operator to
criss-cross?  Are there any alternatives beside that 900 CRISSCROSS
service?

If I cannot get criss-crossing for cheap then auditing outgoing DTMF
is my next question.

WARNING THIS IS PROBABLY AN FASR

Does any one have the schematic for a cheap audit box I can connect to the
phone line to print to a paper calculator printer (or EEPROM for later
uploading to a PC):

	o outgoing DTMF,
	o date time and
	o when on-hook happens time (or elapsed time)

RadioShack has a DTMF decoder chip for $12 and a schematic to send the
BCD to an LEDDisplay.  I am not an EE, so I cannot even begin to
redesign that, but how difficult could it be send the BCD outputs to
EEPROM? I have not built a circuit in fifteen years, I wuold
appreciate any helpful advice/directions to documentation.

BTW: A friend of mine bought a handheld DTMF to LED widget from one of
those MercenaryToysRUs catalogs. I will try to get the catalog address
if anyone is interested.

APPRECIATIONS: Contel service. Fiber is just 250 feet away from the
house.  (Hoping for ISDN or fiberTV someday haha). DMS-10? 0.5 miles
away.  Friendly service personel. Isn't an appreciation paragraph
better than a FLAME.

DTMF:+1 214 985 2270  UUCP:uunet!vitec!nathan

Nathan Banks, Senior Software Engineer
Visual Information Technologies (VITec)
3460 Lotus Drive, Plano, TX 75075

[Moderator's Note: I suspect both SWB and Contel (most telcos?)
actually call the business office of the telco serving the questioned
number and get current information to provide in response to your
question 'who did we call at that number?'  They would not use a
printed criss-cross because those books are only as accurate as the
alphabetical directory they were sorted from. There are a dozen or so
publishers of criss-cross books, the largest being Haines, Dresslers,
City Publishing Co. and Donnelly. They seem to each take parts of the
country and seldom overlap each other. Most libraries have at least
the local criss-cross in their reference department and larger
libraries may have several for nearby cities, etc. None of the
criss-cross publishers solicit leases (they never sell their books) to
individuals. They attempt to deal only with businesses, institutions
and governments.   PAT]

collins@epsl.umd.edu (Bernard F. Collins) (02/22/91)

In article <telecom11.140.8@eecs.nwu.edu> vitec!vitec.com!nathan@
uunet.uu.net (Nathan Banks) writes:

> When I was in college in SWB territory I would call the BO when the
> roomates could not recognise a long distance call. The BO would criss
> cross it for me, giving me a name and *sometimes* an address. When
> presenting this info to my roomates someone whould recognise the call
> and 'fess up and (*usually*) cough up the $. The only restriction was
> calls (he** just about every d**n line is LD) that are two months old,

> If I cannot get criss-crossing for cheap then auditing outgoing DTMF
> is my next question.

Have you considered using AT&T's Call Manager service?  It is free.
It allows several people using the same phone to automatically keep
track of who made what call.  One dials the long distance number as if
using a calling card, i.e. 0+10D.  After the bong, instead of entering
a calling card number, enter a four-digit code beginning with 15.  The
next two digits can be anything from 00 to 99.  Each person can be
assigned his own two digit code.  Calls are sorted by these "account
numbers" when the bill arrives.  The whole scheme adds four digits to
every LD call.  But the annoyance of unclaimed calls at the end of the
month is not missed.

Skip Collins, (301) 792-6243, collins@wam.umd.edu