[comp.dcom.telecom] Tracing Unlisted Numbers

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (02/21/91)

David Mason asked why it cost so much to trace an unlisted number.
Mr. Moderator responded with what I regard as absolute nonsense about
a database subscription.

Look, the PI did what I used to do: Call a friend in Repair. Ask her
the "who and where" you need. (The difference is, he likely bribed the
"greenie" with cash. I used a box of chocolates, myself.)

Repair/Cable or whatever Outside Plant is calling itself MUST know
where an assignment terminates. How could they track down complaints
on noisy pairs, or avoid reassigning an 'in-use' one if they did not
have end-to-end records?

The only thing an unlisted number gets you is a few obstacles to
getting the name from the public end of the LEC. And please, spare me
the morality speech, both on my getting numbers, and people that
provide them. Last time I wanted an "unlisted" number, Ma made me sign
a release that said: We guarantee NOTHING except to charge you extra.
They kept their word - they soaked me EVERY MONTH to as someone put it
"slide all the rest of the names in the book up one space."

BTW: "greenie" came from the olive drab color of the trucks. I always
wondered -- did they get that color paint DOD/GSA surplus ;-?

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu   (305) 255-RTFM
pob 570-335   33257-0335

[Moderator's Note: Fine ... no morality speech, however I would like
to say that most ethical PI's won't use that approach since if they
get caught/convicted they might well lose their license -- something
far more important to them than one client looking for a phone number.
I'd like to think that *most* telco employees are not so easily
bribed. We did have a story in the Digest a few months ago about an
employee of IBT who was given an offer such as you describe. She
thought about what she would stand to lose if she got caught and chose
instead to report the person trying to bribe her, even though as a
result of her relationship with the person in another matter she was
caused considerable personal embarassment when the attempted bribery
became known. Most telco employees will turn those offers down.  Some
will report it. You might pay a very heavy price.  PAT]

Barton.Bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (02/21/91)

In article <telecom11.136.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, dmason@digi.lonestar.org
(David Mason) writes:

> At one time I had a legitimate need to trace an unlisted number.
> That is, I needed the name and address of the party it was registered
> to.  I contacted a private investigator and he told me this was
> possible with no other data than the number itself.  Soon after that I

Dial the number from where it WILL be long distance, keep the answered
connection up long enough so you WILL be charged, and then mumble
something about wrong number and hangup.

When the bill comes, call the business office. Say you don't know
whose number that is on your bill and generally they will get you the
name BEFORE they consider giving you credit for a improperly billed
call.  Generally, a name jogs one's memory and that is the end of it.
Certainly don't insist you didn't make it, because you DID.  Just
saying you are a bit confused about who it might be, and could they
help is being quite honest.

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (02/21/91)

In article <telecom11.140.7@eecs.nwu.edu> David Lesher <wb8foz@mthvax.
cs.miami.edu> writes:

> David Mason asked why it cost so much to trace an unlisted number.
> Mr. Moderator responded with what I regard as absolute nonsense about
> a database subscription.

> Look, the PI did what I used to do: Call a friend in Repair. Ask her
> the "who and where" you need. (The difference is, he likely bribed the
> "greenie" with cash. I used a box of chocolates, myself.)

> Repair/Cable or whatever Outside Plant is calling itself MUST know
> where an assignment terminates. How could they track down complaints
> on noisy pairs, or avoid reassigning an 'in-use' one if they did not
> have end-to-end records?

> The only thing an unlisted number gets you is a few obstacles to
> getting the name from the public end of the LEC. And please, spare me

Yes of course the telco has those records available for internal use.

> [Moderator's Note: Fine ... no morality speech, however I would like
> to say that most ethical PI's won't use that approach since if they
> get caught/convicted they might well lose their license -- something
> far more important to them than one client looking for a phone number.
> I'd like to think that *most* telco employees are not so easily
> bribed. We did have a story in the Digest a few months ago about an

Pat is right, except maybe in refering to an "ethical PI" ;-) The
telco employee stands to lose too much.  It is much easier to call
your local friend in the police department, who has the same info, and
isn't quite as legally restricted.

Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd@ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.

[Moderator's Note: It isn't even ethics so much as plain common sense
at times. Let's say you've worked for telco for twenty years. You have
a nice easy job; a lot of benefits and seniority; and some authority
in the company. Then one day you blow it all away by violating the
trust you have been given.  You get called up to the Personnel
Department where a guy from security is waiting, along with the head
of Personnel and the union steward. You are asked to relinquish your
company identification and keys; handed your final paycheck -- paid up
to that minute along with unused benefits you have coming -- and then
walked downstairs and out the door to the sidewalk with a friendly
warning not to return to the building or be on company property for
any reason. There is nothing the union can do for you. It is up to you
to go home and tell your wife and children what happened, of course.  PAT]

scb@cs.brown.edu (Spyros C. Bartsocas) (02/22/91)

>> At one time I had a legitimate need to trace an unlisted number.

> Dial the number from where it WILL be long distance, keep the answered

> When the bill comes, call the business office. Say you don't know
> whose number that is on your bill and generally they will get you the

About a year ago, I came back from a trip to find a phone number I did
not recognize in the AT&T portion of my bill.  Although it was
afterhours I called AT&T and asked them who that number belongs to.
They said that I would have to call the next day for that, but they
would be happy to take it off my bill.

Spyros Bartsocas   scb@cs.brown.edu