[comp.dcom.telecom] Apple Wants Radio Waves For Data Transmission

jst@ccnext.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) (02/07/91)

[Apple computer petitions the FCC for 40 MHz in the area of 1.8 to 1.9
GHz for digital 10MB/s LANs, with a max of about 150 feet.]

A hundred and fifty feet?  What garbage!  Maybe they want to sell a
lot of repeaters, and keep me from doing my connection to the building
across the street!

I certainly wouldn't max the license out at 150 feet, 2000 feet might
be more like it, with provisions for the transmitters using only as
much power as necessary, like cellular systems.  With the frequencies
they're using, it should be easy to put a small directional antenna on
it to boost the ERP.

I'm sure I've seen portable telephones with 2000 foot ranges, even
though a majority are probably less than this.  I'd think this would
give a clue for what a maximum "personal convenience" radio connection
distance would be.

To me, wiring between buildings is MUCH more trouble than wiring
within a building.

I'm pleased that somebody's introducing an FCC petition for commercial
data useage, but this sounds much too restrictive!  If they want to
produce most of the UNITS with a 150 foot range, that's fine with me,
as long as they can legally sell higher power units with somewhat
greater ranges for the circumstances where they're needed.

BTW, someone told me about the NCR WaveLAN product.  I've asked NCR
for literature and pricing.

[As usual, please CC: me in mail if you post about this, I try to
read telecom faithfully, but I miss things ]

Joe Stong   jst@cca.ucsf.edu

[Moderator's Note: I'd think the risks of having your data snooped on
or deliberatly messed with would be too great at 2000 feet. Some
people would deliberatly park in front of your plant to mess around
with you. 150 feet is more realistic from a security standpoint,
although of course someone could interfere with that also, but not as
easily unless they were inside your premises.

kthompso@entec.wichita.ncr.com (Ken Thompson) (02/13/91)

You are late to the party, Apple.

NCR has had its WaveLan out since last year.  It operates spread
spectrum in the 908-928 MHz band at a 2M data rate with DES encoding
for security.  Rf power is two watts and with small gain antenna
distances of five miles between nodes is easily attained.  I think it
lists for $1390 a node, installs in any IBM compatable, and is Netware
compatable.

Ken Thompson     N0ITL
NCR Corp.  3718 N. Rock Road
Wichita,Ks. 67226  (316)636-8783
Ken.Thompson@wichita.ncr.com

alan@adept.uucp (Alan Ruffer) (02/16/91)

In article <74672@bu.edu.bu.edu> Ken Thompson <entec!kthompso@
uunet.uu.net> writes:

> You are late to the party, Apple.

> NCR has had
> its WaveLan out since last year.  It operates spread spectrum in the
> 908-928 MHz band at a 2M data rate with DES encoding for security.
> RF power is two watts and with small gain antenna distances of five
> miles between nodes is easily attained.  I think it lists for $1390 a
> node, installs in any IBM compatable, and is Netware compatable.

The REALLY sad part about all this is that 902.0 - 928.0 Mhz is the
amateur radio 33 centimeter band.  Devices that operate in this band
are NOT guaranteed freedom from interference!  There are other
wireless gadgets that operate in this frequency range too.  Buyers of
these devices should be aware of this.  While it is illegal for an
amateur to intentionally interfere, these devices are subject to
unintentional interference, and amateurs may ALSO be subject to
interference from these transmiters.

This is a bad situation that will get much worse before it gets
better.

Alan R. Ruffer      UUCP: {csccat,chinacat!holston}!adept!alan
Route 1, Box 1745   Amateur Radio Station WB5FKH
Sulphur, LA 70663   BBS: (318) 527-6667, 19200(PEP)/9600(V.32)/2400/1200

meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) (02/21/91)

In article <telecom11.119.8@eecs.nwu.edu> Alan Ruffer <alan@
adept.uucp> writes:

> The REALLY sad part about all this is that 902.0 - 928.0 Mhz is the
> amateur radio 33 centimeter band.  Devices that operate in this band
> are NOT guaranteed freedom from interference!  There are other
> wireless gadgets that operate in this frequency range too.  Buyers of
> these devices should be aware of this.  While it is illegal for an
> amateur to intentionally interfere, these devices are subject to
> unintentional interference, and amateurs may ALSO be subject to
> interference from these transmiters.

In theory, narrowband transmissions in the 902-928 band should not
cause interference to spread spectrum transmissions in that band, and
vice versa.  That is the whole purpose of allowing spread spectrum to
operate in that band.

Now, any band is subject to interference from transmissions which
operate illegally within that band, but that is a matter of
enforcement, not regulation.

There are a number of spread spectrum systems operating successfully
in the ISM (industrial, scientific, medical) bands, such as 902-928.
According to my chart of spectrum allocations, this is a "secondary"
amateur band, whatever that means.  I don't believe it is encouraged
for amateur usage.

Rolf Meier     	Mitel Corporation

Allyn@uunet.uu.net (02/22/91)

>There are a number of spread spectrum systems operating successfully
>in the ISM (industrial, scientific, medical) bands, such as 902-928.
>According to my chart of spectrum allocations, this is a "secondary"
>                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
>amateur band, whatever that means.  I don't believe it is encouraged
>for amateur usage.

I believe "secondary" means that the 902-928 band is to be shared with
other services.  This is different from the two meter band (144-148)
which is an exclusive Amateur Radio allocation.

Amateur Radio isn't discouraged from 902-928 mhz.  But it isn't real
easy to get on it either.  There is a lack of commercially available
gear (available to your average ham that is).  So you either have to
use transverters or modify 800 mhz gear.

Allyn Lai    allyn@cup.portal.com

ornitz@kodak.kodak.com (Barry Ornitz) (02/22/91)

In article <telecom11.140.2@eecs.nwu.edu> Rolf Meier <mitel!Software!
meier@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> In article <telecom11.119.8@eecs.nwu.edu> Alan Ruffer <alan@
> adept.uucp> writes:

>> The REALLY sad part about all this is that 902.0 - 928.0 Mhz is the
>> amateur radio 33 centimeter band.  Devices that operate in this band
>> are NOT guaranteed freedom from interference!  There are other
>> wireless gadgets that operate in this frequency range too.  Buyers of
>> these devices should be aware of this.  While it is illegal for an
>> amateur to intentionally interfere, these devices are subject to
>> unintentional interference, and amateurs may ALSO be subject to
>> interference from these transmiters.

Legal operation by amateurs can cause interference to these systems.
Likewise amateurs can have these systems shut down if they cause
interference to the amateurs.

> In theory, narrowband transmissions in the 902-928 band should not
> cause interference to spread spectrum transmissions in that band, and
> vice versa.  That is the whole purpose of allowing spread spectrum to
> operate in that band.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers have skimped on their designs and
narrow band transmissions can cause significant interference.

> Now, any band is subject to interference from transmissions which
> operate illegally within that band, but that is a matter of
> enforcement, not regulation.

> There are a number of spread spectrum systems operating successfully
> in the ISM (industrial, scientific, medical) bands, such as 902-928.
> According to my chart of spectrum allocations, this is a "secondary"
> amateur band, whatever that means.  I don't believe it is encouraged
> for amateur usage.

The 902 to 928 MHz Amateur Radio band is licensed for use in ITU
Region 2 on a secondary basis.  This basically means that hams must
not cause harmful interference to stations in the Government
Radiolocation Service and they are not protected from interference
from the same.  There are also some special limitations in areas of
Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, and New Mexico.  Amateurs are not protected
by ISM devices operating on these bands either.

However, radio modems are not ISM devices (these are usually
dielectric heaters, diathermy equipment, industrial microwave ovens,
etc.).  The spread spectrum devices recently allowed by the FCC on
this band are Part 15 devices.  According to the FCC, they must be
operated on a non-interference basis to any licensed users of this
band including amateurs.  This means that they may not cause harmful
interference to licensed operations and they must accept any
interference that these systems may cause to their own operations.

Some of the current spread spectrum devices for this band have virtually no
tolerance for interference, and often a narrowband amateur transmission can
completely lock up their system.  Once again the FCC has demonstrated their
lack of technical expertise in spectrum planning!  :-(

Finally, use of the 902 MHz band by amateurs is not discouraged.  It
is gaining popularity with amateurs for digital networking by packet
radio.

Barry L. Ornitz   ornitz@kodak.com