[comp.dcom.telecom] Western Union Revisited

gabe@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu (Gabe Wiener) (02/21/91)

Lately there's been a great deal in the Digest about Western Union,
particularly w.r.t. their role in international message handling to
Cuba and elsewhere.

To that end, I'm prompted to ask ... what is WU up to these days?
With the advent of $400 fax machines and inexpensive electronic mail,
I can't imagine that the market for telegrams and Telex is _anything_
like it was even 20 or 30 years ago.  I don't see their name cropping
up terribly often in the long distance carrier world, so I must ask
 ... what is the current mainstay of their business?

Gabe Wiener - Columbia Univ.     "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings
gabe@ctr.columbia.edu             to be seriously considered as a means of
gmw1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu       communication. The device is inherently of
72355.1226@compuserve.com         no value to us."  -Western Union memo, 1877

[Moderator's Note: As you know, to conserve space here I nearly always
reduce .signatures and delete cute.quotes entirely. Today I decided to
include yours. Western Union is not in very good financial condition
these days. A few months ago they sold off their EasyLink electronic
mail service to AT&T Mail, and the two electronic mail services are
now in the process of being merged. They still have their money order
and cash wire-transfer business as well as the telex/twx part of the
operation. Needless to say telegrams and mailgrams are almost a dead
issue these days.  They got out of the clock / time signal business
over twenty years ago.  PAT]

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (02/23/91)

In article <telecom11.139.3@eecs.nwu.edu> Pat writes:

> They still have their money order and cash wire-transfer business as
> well as the telex/twx part of the operation.

Last July, at the same time that WUT Co sold Easylink to AT&T, they
announced that they were also selling them their Telex service, though
not the other enhanced services such as Mailgrams.  Does anyone know
whether the WUT domestic telex service has in fact passed to AT&T?  I
hope so, anything would be better than the cruddy service that Western
Union has provided in recent years.  When AT&T ran the TWX (now Telex
II) network it worked well.

Regards,

John Levine,  johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

[Moderator's Note: Oddly enough, it was a court decision many years
ago which forced AT&T to sell the TWX business to Western Union. For
many years, TWX was offered in direct competition to Telex.  PAT]