[comp.dcom.telecom] Finding Your Own Phone Number

C483307@umcvmb.bitnet (Kevin Lightner) (04/21/89)

In the St. Louis (314 NPA) area, you can dial 410-XXX-XXXX (Where the X's are
any phone number that is real in the area) and it will tell you the number
you are dialing from.  In Columbia, MO (also 314), you can dial 530 and it
will do the same.  Both of which by a computer generated voice.

St. Louis is under Southwestern Bell and Columbia is handled by GTE.  Does
anyone else know of more of these?

:Kevin Lightner  (C483307@UMCVMB.BITNET)
                 (C483307@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU)

ggw@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) (05/01/89)

In <telecom-v09i0142m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> Kevin Lightner wrote:
> In the St. Louis (314 NPA) area, you can dial 410-XXX-XXXX (Where the X's are
> any phone number that is real in the area) and it will tell you the number
> you are dialing from. ...
> ...  Does anyone else know of more of these?

Here in Durham, North Carolina (a satrapy of GTE-South)  the id number is a
simple 711.  The usual automatic voice reads you your number and then they
put an obnoxious tone on the line (to encourage you to hang up.)

---
UUCP: ...mcnc!duke!dukcds!wolves!ggw  or  ...decvax!duke!dukeac!wolves!ggw
Internet: ggw%dukcds@cs.duke.edu  or ggw@dukeac.ac.duke.edu
Voice: 919-493-1998 (home)  919-684-6126 (work)
Data: 919 493 7111 - The Wolves Den UNIX BBS
USMail: 902 A1 Park Ridge Rd.  Durham NC  27713

[Moderator's Note: Did you mean 'satrap' instead of 'satrapy'?   PT]

dl@ibiza.miami.edu (David Lesher) (05/10/89)

For many years in the 216 (Cleveland and Akron), 200+7d (Except the correct
7d) gave you a readback. The theory was that if you were on the correct pair,
you just got a beep. Recently they have changed it to something else and told
the craft people that revealing the 'something else' is cause for immediate
termination. We still wonder why. Any ideas what is behind this new policy?

dritchey@att.uucp (05/11/89)

In article (Message-ID:  <telecom-v09i0155m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>), you wrote

> Here in Durham, North Carolina (a satrapy of GTE-South)  the id number is a
>
> [Moderator's Note: Did you mean 'satrap' instead of 'satrapy'?   PT]

GTE-South = satrap - 1) the governer of a province in ancient Persia.
		2) a: RULER b: a subordinate official : HENCHMAN

Durham, NC = satrapy - the territory or jurisdiction of a satrap.

Definitions courtesy of Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary,
Copyright 1988.

Humorously yours,

Don --

Don Ritchey (312) 979-6179, AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH 4E-408
att!ihlpb!dritchey or dritchey@ihlpb.att.com {for smart mailers}

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) (09/22/90)

How can you find out the number of a given phone?  I seem to recall
that linesmen dial the operator and ask for a ringback.

What do you have to say to an operator to get the number of the line
you're calling on?  Are there any numbers you can call that will tell
you your own number (like how (700)555-4141 tells you your LD
carrier)?

Pat

[Moderator's Note: In nearly every telephone exchange there is some
number which will read back the number of the phone placing the call.
There is no standardization to this; the numbers are different
everywhere, and change frequently. They are always non-pub, of course.
I suppose you could always make a collect call from the phone in
question to a number you control, then examine your phone bill when it
arrives the next month to see whose call you agreed to pay for. The
linemen can call the test board, but there has to be some reasonable
excuse, such as a pending work order. It also helps if the test board
recognizes your name/voice. The most honest way to go about it would
be to ask the person who owns the phone, "what number is this?"  PAT]

watcher@ndmath.math.nd.edu (watcher) (09/24/90)

This brings to mind a funny story. I lived with two roommates, and we had
two phone lines (voice/data, just like anybody :-). Somebody needed the
number of the data line to update our newsfeed, since it was wasting lots fo
time not being able to get through. As it so happened, I knew what the
number was, but I happened not to be home at the time. Both numbers were
unlisted. so, my roommate called the Pac*Tel operator and told them who he
was (side note: for purposes of dealing with the phone company, we  would
all simply use the name on the bill, that of the third roommate, whether we
were him or not ... once I was home when the installer came, and when he
called the CO, he said "for all intents and purposes, I have Phil here..."
anyway) and that he wanted to know the (unlisted) phone number.

After being bounced up a couple levels of incompetence ("you'll have
to talk to my manager about that..."), he was told that they would
call him back to get his permission to give him his phone number.
(They wondered why he didn't have any of the old bills laying around,
but of course they'd all been tossed after being paid, not too
bright.) Half an hour later, they called him back to get his
permission. About forty minutes later, they call and tell him that
they can't give him his own phone number, even though he is the
customer, because it's UNLISTED! Shortly thereafter I arrived home,
and peals of laughter could be heard as the story was related. I could
not believe it. Anyway, I told him the number, and he told the admin
of our newsfeed, and life was happy again since we could read the
Digest :)

amb@ai.mit.edu (Andrew Boardman) (09/25/90)

>The most honest way to go about it would be to ask the person who owns
>the phone, "what number is this?"  PAT]

The easiest, at least in NYNEX and Atlantic Bell land, is to call the
operator and ask "what number is this?"  I've never had the request
refused.

(BTW, in the wake of recent talk about the book "The Phone Book," I
wandered over to the business library and gave it a read.  It was
somewhat interesting, but extraordinarily anti-Bell biased.  Its
attitude was matched only by the extraordinary pro-Bell attitude of
its shelf-mate, titled "The Rape of Ma Bell.")

wcs@erebus.att.com (William Clare Stewart) (09/26/90)

In article <12472@accuvax.nwu.edu>, zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
(Patrick Tufts) writes:

> How can you find out the number of a given phone?  I seem to recall
> that linesmen dial the operator and ask for a ringback.

> What do you have to say to an operator to get the number of the line
> you're calling on?  Are there any numbers you can call that will tell
> you your own number (like how (700)555-4141 tells you your LD

I have to do this periodically when we've been reshuffling modems in
our lab.  The phrase "Telephone repair - what number am I calling from?"
seems to work 99% of the time, assuming I can get the right code for
the local operator (0, or 9-0, or *9-0, depending on whether the
line is direct, or one of the Centrexes - haven't tried 00.)

Thanks,

Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ

U5434122@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (09/26/90)

(Patrick Tufts) writes:

> How can you find out the number of a given phone?  I seem to recall
> that linesmen dial the operator and ask for a ringback.

> What do you have to say to an operator to get the number of the line
> you're calling on?  Are there any numbers you can call that will tell
> you your own number (like how (700)555-4141 tells you your LD
> carrier)?

> [Moderator's Note: In nearly every telephone exchange there is some
> number which will read back the number of the phone placing the call.
> There is no standardization to this; the numbers are different
> everywhere, and change frequently. They are always non-pub, of course.

In Australia the number to ring is 19123.  This works from most
private phones.  Payphones give the message "No information to
identify telephone number", while mobile phones give a seemingly
endless string of 9's and 0's in no apparent order.  Even COCOTS give
the "No info" message, unless they are connected to the same line as
the shop's own phone (a not uncommon practice in Oz).

Dialling (0xx)19123, to a different area from the caller may give the
correct number, or the congestion tone.  I guess that it depends on
whether the area you are calling has a digital link with the area you
are calling from.

Danny

scb@cs.brown.edu (Spyros C. Bartsocas) (09/26/90)

>The easiest, at least in NYNEX and Atlantic Bell land, is to call the
>operator and ask "what number is this?"  I've never had the request

The easiest at NYNEX land (according to older postings and
experimentation) is to call 200-222-2222.  For pay phones the number
is 200-2222.  This does not work for pay phones that do not have
incoming service.

Spyros Bartsocas
scb@cs.brown.edu

nagle@uunet.uu.net (John Nagle) (09/27/90)

     It's time to lobby for some standardized way to find out your own
phone number.  With Caller ID, the other end can find out; it's
annoying that you can't.  It would be especially valuable if it were
available in machine-readable form, probably as Touch-Tone signals or
in the same format used for Caller ID, so that devices like answering
machines and computers could locate themselves automatically upon
installation.  This would be really valuable when you plug a laptop
into a strange outlet, and it needs basic location info so it can dial
the appropriate local access numbers.

John Nagle

rac@uunet.uu.net (Roger Cornelius) (09/27/90)

(Patrick Tufts) writes:

>How can you find out the number of a given phone?  I seem to recall
>that linesmen dial the operator and ask for a ringback.

In Florida (St. Pete. area), dialing 118 will get a recorded message
telling you the number you're dialing from.  I've never tried this
from anywhere else so it may be just a local convenience for the
repair guys.

Roger A. Cornelius          rac@sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac

gdw@groucho.att.com (Gordon D Woods) (09/27/90)

 From article <12597@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by amb@ai.mit.edu (Andrew Boardman):

>>The most honest way to go about it would be to ask the person who owns
>>the phone, "what number is this?"  PAT]

> The easiest, at least in NYNEX and Atlantic Bell land, is to call the
> operator and ask "what number is this?"  I've never had the request
> refused.

I think this thread has gone on so long because many people share my
experience: I have called the operator many times and the request has
been universally refused. In these days of customer provided station
sets, people don't put their number on the phone and there is no way
to find out what it is if you want someone to call back.

[Moderator's Note: If they want you to call back, you'll be given the
number to call.  PAT]

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (09/28/90)

>[Moderator's Note: ...

>I suppose you could always make a collect call from the phone in
>question to a number you control, then examine your phone bill when it
>arrives the next month to see whose call you agreed to pay for. ...  PAT]

As has been pointed out, you might get an accounting number for a
group of lines rather than the number of the actual line used.

JBL

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (09/28/90)

gdw@groucho.att.com (Gordon D Woods) writes:

>>>The most honest way to go about it would be to ask the person who owns
>>>the phone, "what number is this?"  PAT]

You can also call 1-800-666-6258. This gives you a lot of advertising
bla-bla AND your phone no. (much of the advertising can be skipped by
pressing a Touch-Tone (tm) digit).

Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
Postbus 22953    (in DUTCH) | 1100 DL  AMSTERDAM   tel: +31 20 6001480

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/29/90)

In article <12597@accuvax.nwu.edu>, amb@ai.mit.edu (Andrew Boardman)
writes:

> The easiest, at least in NYNEX and Atlantic Bell land, is to call the
> operator and ask "what number is this?"  I've never had the request
> refused.

I have tried this a few times with US West, and they NEVER give me the
number.

However, they are quite cooperative when asked to ring back the line
to test ringers.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544       Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/29/90)

I know of a number to find your number.  It works in most USWest
sites.  If not, you'll get a funny recording.

Only use this in US West areas.  I don't know what will happen if used
elsewhere. ( I'm not responsible if you start WWIII or something :))

                       41311

Dial it, then the infamous female voice will come on and say your
number.  Sometimes it does ring a couple of times first.

Let me know how it works for you.

 [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]
ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com     ARPA:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

[Moderator's Note: US West is quite exceptional if it keeps this
number on a long term basis (like more than another month). Most
telcos seem to change the number a lot, and they tend to be in the
range of 200-xxx-xxxx.  PAT]

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (10/01/90)

I tried this 800 number abd it told me I was dialing from 218-555-5555!!!
Definitely something wrong there.

Mark

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

[Moderator's Note: When this was an active thread, the consensus was
that in the event the system can NOT tell what number you are calling
from for some reason, it gives 555-5555 as a default value.   PAT]

andrew@herald.usask.ca (Derek Andrew) (10/02/90)

 From article <12825@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook):

> I have tried this a few times with US West, and they NEVER give me the
> number.

> However, they are quite cooperative when asked to ring back the line
> to test ringers.

So ... request that they call you back to test your ringer, then when
you answer the phone, ask what number they are calling please.

Derek Andrew, Manager of Computer Network & Technical Services
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Saskachewan, Canada, S7N 0W0

[Moderator's Note: It doesn't always work that way. The smart
operators sometimes ask, 'what number should I call you back at?'  :)
and all you can suggest at that point is why doesn't she just keep the
circuit up and ring back manually, i.e. post-call payphone coin
collection time. She may or may not accept your advice.  PAT]

phil@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Phil Weinberg SPS) (10/02/90)

In article <12637@accuvax.nwu.edu> decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!nagle
(John Nagle) writes:

>     It's time to lobby for some standardized way to find out your own
>phone number.  With Caller ID, the other end can find out; it's
>annoying that you can't.  It would be especially valuable if it were

I once tried to find out the number of an unidentified (untagged) pair
by calling the phone company (Pac Tel) and requesting them to tell me
what number I was calling from.  I was refused this information, and
when I asked to speak to a supervisor to explain why, the supervisor
gave me a story that it was to prevent "people" from tapping into
someone else's line, finding out what the number is, and using the
other person's service as their own.  I was also told that this
"illegal" use of other peoples' lines was very prevalent among bookies
and number writers.  I had to pay for a service call for a PacTel
expert to come out, dial the mysterious number to get the recording
back as to what my number was, and write it down on a tag (it took him
about 4 minutes total - a slow writer).

I agree with John Nagle that in this age of more and more gizmos using
the telephone lines it becomes more and more convenient, if not
necessary, for one to be able to identify a pair of unfamiliar wires.

<< Usual Disclaimer >>

Phil Weinberg @ Motorola Semiconductor, Sunnyvale, CA 94086-5395
UUCP:  {hplabs, mot,} !mcdcup!phil
Telephone:  +1 408-991-7385

[Moderator's Note: There is something you should remember: When you
were on that 'unidentified pair of wires' they (the wires) *might*
have been someone else's service. They might have picked up the phone
and heard on you on there. Then what?  PAT]

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (10/02/90)

>[Moderator's Note: Most telcos seem to change the number a lot, and
>they tend to be in the range of 200-xxx-xxxx.  PAT]

Here in NETel land, I have never seen it change.  It's always been the
above number (except one CO where it's always been 200-2622 (!)).  (At
least since around 1970, anyway, when Cambridge got in a lot of new
ESS stuff; previously you could find your own number on several
exchanges by just dialing 225.)

nets: levin@bbn.com    |    BBN Communications
  or: ...!bbn!levin    |    M/S  20/7A
POTS: +1 617 873 3463  |    150 Cambridge Park Drive
  or: +1 603 880-1611  |    Cambridge, MA  02140

betz@marob.masa.com (Tom Betz) (10/03/90)

Quoth ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) in <12741@accuvax.nwu.edu>:

|You can also call 1-800-666-6258. This gives you a lot of advertising
|bla-bla AND your phone no.

Well, it got my area code right, but it thought my phone number was
"555-5555".

Doesn't look like a product >I'd< want to buy.  <g>

Can anyone tell me what the significance of the "5"s is?

hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz
Tom Betz - GBS
(914) 375-1510

[Moderator's Note: We've touched on this before quite a few times. The
machine did not 'think your number was 555-5555'. The use of all fives
in the display is a default indicating that for some reason, your
telephone number was not available to the system. That might have been
a one time glich, or it might be that your telco is not passing along
your number. Earlier results posted here indicated the device worked
quite well; it correctly identified almost all the test-callers.  PAT]

bhall@uunet.uu.net (Dark Star) (10/04/90)

In article <12897@accuvax.nwu.edu>, hplabs!mcdcup!phil@ucbvax.
berkeley.edu (Phil Weinberg SPS) writes:

> In article <12637@accuvax.nwu.edu> decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!nagle
> (John Nagle) writes:

>>     It's time to lobby for some standardized way to find out your own
>>phone number.  With Caller ID, the other end can find out; it's
>>annoying that you can't.  It would be especially valuable if it were

> I once tried to find out the number of an unidentified (untagged) pair
> by calling the phone company (Pac Tel) and requesting them to tell me
> what number I was calling from.  I was refused this information, and

I tried that once too with C&P Telephone in the Washington, D.C. area.

I've noticed that Domino's pizza delivery has caller ID boxes, so
maybe I should call them ask where I'm calling from ;-)

Or if you have a lot of lines a trouble keeping them all straight.
Not that we have *ever* misplaced a phone line :-), you could buy a
caller ID for one phone in the facility and call it to find out!

Bruce Hall                     Domain: bhall@pbs.org
Public Broadcasting Service    UUCP:...{uupsi,vrdxhq,csed-1,ida.org}!pbs!bhall
                               Phone: 703/739-5048

reb@squid.rtech.com (Phydeaux) (10/05/90)

>> The easiest, at least in NYNEX and Atlantic Bell land, is to call the
>> operator and ask "what number is this?"  I've never had the request
>> refused.

>I have tried this a few times with US West, and they NEVER give me the
>number.

I've only tried it at pay phones and I've *never* been turned down by
the operator.  Just tell them you're trying to call someone's beeper
number and you need to know where you're calling from.

reb

*-=#= Phydeaux =#=-*      reb@ingres.com    reb%ingres.com@lll-winken.llnl.GOV
ICBM:  40.55N 74.11W      h:182 Market St. Saddle Brook, NJ 07662 201-845-0256
Home FAX! 201-845-0258 Send neat stuff!     In the Bay Area from 10/5 to 10/14

balden@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Bruce Balden) (10/08/90)

In this area, at least, the method is to dial "211".  The phone
switch then speaks back the number to you.

[Moderator's Note: This is another example of the diversity you will
find from one telco to another. For thirty years here, 211 got you the
long distance operator, in the days when long distance calls could not
be dialed direct. Even the 'ring-back code' 571-6 no longer works
here. Telcos are starting to be very tight-lipped about this sort of
information. Really, you can't blame them.  PAT]

ask@cblph.att.com (Arthur S Kamlet) (10/14/90)

> |You can also call 1-800-666-6258. This gives you a lot of advertising
> |bla-bla AND your phone no.

I called this number from Columbus, Ohio (area code 614) and got the
following message:

"The 800 number you have dialed, 800 666-6258, has been changed.  The
new number is 817 877 5629 ...  VTKE"

I guess too many of us were calling the 800 number.

Art Kamlet  a_s_kamlet@att.com  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (10/16/90)

In article <12952@accuvax.nwu.edu> levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin)
writes:

>>[Moderator's Note: Most telcos seem to change the number a lot, and
>>they tend to be in the range of 200-xxx-xxxx.  PAT]

>Here in NETel land, I have never seen it change.  It's always been the
>above number (except one CO where it's always been 200-2622 (!)).  (At
>least since around 1970, anyway, when Cambridge got in a lot of new
>ESS stuff; previously you could find your own number on several
>exchanges by just dialing 225.)

	I tried the number given in the original post, supposedly
valid from "US West land", the other night at home (Bellevue, WA,
served by US West). Didn't work.

	I tried it from the office, too, but I didn't expect it to
work here (where the telco is Boeing Computer Services).

Jeff Carroll
carroll@atc.boeing.com

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (10/19/90)

In case no one has mentioned it: 958 works in many NewYork City
exchanges. Just dial those three digits, nothing else.

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/22/90)

Yes, I also got that recording about 800-666-6258 being changed to
817-877-5629.  The "..." inserted in the message by Arthur S Kamlet
<ask@cblph.att.com> is just a repetition of the new-number message.
However, at the end of the message, I got "VTK [pause] F".

irvin@northstar105.dartmouth.edu (Tim Irvin) (02/20/91)

"Bernard F. Collins" <collins@epsl.umd.edu> writes:

> I discovered some time ago that in the Baltimore area (301), one could
> find out the number of most phones by dialing 811 or 311 (I forget
> which.)  After dialing, I would hear some funny clicks and then a VERY
> faint voice that would recite my phone number.

I just moved from N.C.  Southern Bell (at least in Asheville, NC) used
200 (just 200) to get the phone number -- I once saw a repair man
doing this.  After dialing the 2-0-0, the line would be absolutely
silent (just as if it was waiting for more digits) for ten to fifteen
seconds, then a few clicks, and finally the familiar DA voice read my
phone number off to me.  I once tried to dial 200 from two different
lines at the same time, I got a busy signal from one of them (after
the ten to fifteen second wait), leading me to believe they were only
set-up to handle one call at a time (at least in my exchange - which
was the smallest one in the city).

Prior to this "200" business, I overheard a repair man call the
Operator and say "T and I please", or maybe it was "TNI please".  So I
tried it when he left, and sure enough the Operator told me my phone
number.  A few months later I tried it again and was firmly told to
"Speak with your supervisor, that code has changed!!!"

In Knoxville, TN (BELLSouth territory also -- but South Central Bell
is the BOC), 200 didn't work.  I could never figure out what the
secret code might be there -- I went through all the X00 combinations
I could think of.

On a slightly different subject:

One time in Knoxville, while getting my phone line fixed, the repair
man dialed some number, hung up and the phone rang back.  In
Asheville, NC that was accomplished by dialing the phone's telephone
number and hanging up.  But I had never figured out how to do it in
Knoxville.  So I asked the guy what he dialed.  "Sorry sir but we are
not allowed to give out that information."  "Why not?" "If customers
start doing this, it would jam our equipment."  Kind of a feeble
excuse I thought.

Tim Irvin   Project NORTHSTAR   Dartmouth College

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (02/21/91)

> The easiest at NYNEX land [...] is to call 200-222-2222.

	I just tried this and all I got was a couple of rings and then
a badly mangled recording saying "...ry your call again.  Thank you".
I tried just plain "222-2222" and got a live person saying "Special
operator, what number are you calling?"  Anybody have any idea what a
"special operator" is?  PS, I dialed this from work; it's possible
that our switch automatically reroutes "funny" phone numbers, so I
don't even know if I reached an AT&T, NYTel, or somebody else's
"special operator".

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy

[Moderator's Note: A 'special operator' (at least as the term is used
in Chicago) is an operator who takes intercept calls and handles them
manually as opposed to a fully automatic response. It sometimes
happens there is a temporary equipment failure and that the number you
are dialing (or calling from) does not get captured by the equipment.
It is very rare, but I will now and then dial a number and have an
operator come on the line to say " ... special operator. What number
are you calling from, please?" ("what number are you dialing?").   PAT

collins@epsl.umd.edu (Bernard F. Collins) (02/21/91)

In article <12672@accuvax.nwu.edu> scb@cs.brown.edu (Spyros C.
Bartsocas) writes:

>The easiest at NYNEX land (according to older postings and
>experimentation) is to call 200-222-2222.  For pay phones the number

I discovered some time ago that in the Baltimore area (301), one could
find out the number of most phones by dialing 811 or 311 (I forget
which.)  After dialing, I would hear some funny clicks and then a VERY
faint voice that would recite my phone number.  All of the X11 number
combinations (except 011) terminate dialing.  A few of them (411, 611,
911) have special functions.  I have not tried the 811 trick in a few
years so it may not still be true.

Skip Collins, (301)792-6243, collins@wam.umd.edu

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (02/21/91)

In Michigan, at least in the Detroit area, it varies. Our switch (a
#1ESS) allows you to get your number by dialing 200-555-1212.  When
I'm at my father's house (a different switch), this does not work. All
I get is a fast busy. The same thing at my grandmothers house (a third
switch). My theory: 1> It depends on the model of the switch or
version of the software that its running or 2> It is a feature that
can be enabled/disabled by the telco.

brendan@otc.otca.oz.au (02/25/91)

In Australia, finding out your own phone number is very easy (in areas
with digital exchanges).  Just dial 19123 and a clear digitised voice
recites your phone number twice, including area code.  However, it
doesn't work for public phone boxes (*all* of which have silent
numbers in Australia), or through most PABXs.

It was very handy to know this when my brother moved to a new house
recently.  The phone number he was given was in fact incorrect.  By
dialling 19123, the real phone number was revealed - and it was
nothing like what he was told!!

Brendan Jones		ACSnet:  brendan@otc.otca.oz.au
R&D Contractor		  UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!brendan
Services R&D		 Phone:  (02)2873128   Fax:  (02)2873299