[comp.dcom.telecom] Airphones and Receiving Calls

harrison@apple.com (John Harrison) (02/17/91)

I know this was probably discussed when Die Hard 2 first came out, but
I missed that.  So the question I have is:

Why can't you really receive calls on a GTE Airphone?  Is this
something that GTE has chose not to implement or are there other
technical reasons.

Note: The reference to Die Hard 2 is that Bruce Willis calls his wife
after being paged from an Airphone.

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (02/17/91)

harrison@apple.com (John Harrison) writes:

>Why can't you really receive calls on a GTE Airphone?  Is this
>something that GTE has chose not to implement or are there other
>technical reasons.

Because there might be 10-50 airphone handsets on a plane, and many of
these are mobile, how would  you  know which handset  a certain person
might be near?  And, would *you* answer one, knowing that you might be
paying exorbitant AirFone airtime prices for  a possible wrong number?
It's simply much easier  to  have only   dial-out.  If you   need  the
opposite direction, that's  why  they make SkyPager:  an  alphanumeric
pager that works all over the country, including in planes.

David Lemson    U of Illinois Computing Services Student Consultant
Internet : lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu UUCP :...!uiucuxc!uiucux1!lemson

ijk@violin.att.com (Ihor J Kinal) (02/20/91)

In article <telecom11.125.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
(David Lemson) writes:

> It's simply much easier  to  have only   dial-out.  If you   need  the
> opposite direction, that's  why  they make SkyPager:  an  alphanumeric
> pager that works all over the country, including in planes.

Since the pager is an electronic device, is its use authorized by the
FAA?  [Remember someone who had a cellular phone active in his
luggage, and it received a call, activating a SMOKE DETECTOR -
rather embarrassing to explain, don't you think!!!]

Also, the SKYPAGER is not a SATELLITE broadcast of a paging signal,
it's merely a satellite broadcast to numerous city broadcast towers,
which then broadcast the paging signal.  Coverage is NOT guaranteed
nation-wide, by their own admission.

#include 'standard disclaimers'
Ihor Kinal   att!cbnewsh!ijk

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (Javier Henderson - TMS Group) (02/20/91)

(David Lemson) writes:

> opposite direction, that's  why  they make SkyPager:  an  alphanumeric
> pager that works all over the country, including in planes.

As I recall from reading the in-flight magazine provided by the
airline, the use of any receiving or transmitting device in the
airplane is not permitted (a stewardress once asked me to turn off my
ham radio ht, even though I was just listening). Are skypagers
exempted from this rule?

Javier Henderson   Engineering Services   Avnet Computer  Los Angeles, CA
henderson@hamavnet.com   {simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson

carroll@ssc-vax.uucp (Jeff Carroll) (02/22/91)

In article <telecom11.141.1@eecs.nwu.edu> henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com
(Javier Henderson - TMS Group) writes:

> As I recall from reading the in-flight magazine provided by the
> airline, the use of any receiving or transmitting device in the
> airplane is not permitted (a stewardress once asked me to turn off my
> ham radio ht, even though I was just listening). Are skypagers
> exempted from this rule?

No. In fact, neither are laptop computers or pocket calculators. Why
they allow people to wear digital watches is beyond me :^).

On a recent flight on Eastern Airlines (well, OK, not all that
recent), I held my AM/FM Walkman about six inches from the LED display
on the passenger service unit in my seat (the plane, I believe, was an
Airbus A310). The noise floor of the receiver was raised by at least
10 dB (judging with my well-trained ear).

Moral of the story: Protect yourself from exposure to dangerous
electromagnetic radiation and self-jamming aircraft. Fly only on
American-made planes :^)

Claimer: my employer would probably agree with the preceding sentiment.

Jeff Carroll    carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) (02/22/91)

> Also, the SKYPAGER is not a SATELLITE broadcast of a paging signal,
> it's merely a satellite broadcast to numerous city broadcast towers,
> which then broadcast the paging signal.  Coverage is NOT guaranteed
> nation-wide, by their own admission.

 Very much true. I own a SkyPager, and have found that it is FAR from
reliable. My department purchased two kinds of pagers for it's
officers, SkyPagers (which I got :( ) and Motorola Bravo's (which are
essentially the same pager, just different means of recieving the
messages). I found that 99.9% of the pages to the Simple, 900 MHz,
Plain Motorola Bravo's got through, as compared to about 50% with my
SkyPager.

 It was actually kind of funny. I could be sitting at my desk, call in
a page, receive it ... walk say twenty feet away to another desk, call
in a page, and not receive it. Yet, when up in a helicopter, (my work
takes me funny places), generally I received on the order of 90% of
the pages.

 I think it is just a matter of the SkyPager people refining their
equipment, and increasing their transmission sites. It is a tremendous
concept (country, or worldwide paging) yet has not had all the bugs
worked out yet, and is not up to full potential. Just give it some
time.

Sean Petty - Somewhere in Pennsylvania

af@sei.ucl.ac.be (Alain FONTAINE (Postmaster - NAD)) (02/25/91)

On 21 Feb 91 19:43:05 GMT Jeff Carroll said:

> Moral of the story: Protect yourself from exposure to dangerous
> electromagnetic radiation and self-jamming aircraft. Fly only on
> American-made planes :^)

Alternate moral: don't risk your life on planes equipped with avionics
unable to stand some interference. Use European-made planes only 8-)

AF