[comp.dcom.telecom] Data Access Arrangement

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (02/26/91)

In article <telecom11.153.12@eecs.nwu.edu> fmsys!macy@
usenet.ins.cwru.edu (Macy Hallock) writes:

> Seriously, there used to be FCC approved units for this purpose
> around.  I think they were used in answering machines extensively at
> one time.  I recall seeing an ad for FCC registered line isolation
> modules for incorporation into equipment not too long ago.

I assume you're talking about Data Access Arrangements (DAA's) ?

I know of only two manufacturers, Cermetek and Dallas Semi. Dallas had
a SIMM module that was supposed to go with their modem, so other modem
manufacturers might make some similar DAA. Cermetek has a whole line
of DAA's, with DIP-like packages.

Why are these DAA's so expensive ? For one of the FCC/CSA listed units
from Cermetek, I was quoted in the $50 range. One can buy a whole PC
2400 baud modem card for about that much, and that modem card has the
circuitry this DAA has (ring detect, isolation, 2-4 hybrid) and much
more. One can buy a phone for $15.

Is it just a small niche market, and Cermetek is the only one
interested in being in it, and hence they can charge any price they
want ? Or am I missing something ?

Regards,

Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com