[comp.dcom.telecom] NID "Security" is Fiction

news@bu.edu.bu.edu (News) (02/27/91)

In article <telecom11.139.9@eecs.nwu.edu>, hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
(Toby Nixon) writes:

> this feature!  We put on a combination padlock, like you'd use on a
> gym locker, so that if we ever need service we can tell the repair
> office the combination to the lock, which they record on the repair
> order, and we don't need to be there to provide a key.

Your door only opens half of the NID.  The Phone company has another
door that opens the whole NID.  They don't need to open your lock to
get access to the inside of the NID.  They use the torx screw with a
pin in the middle to open the whole box.  Jensen tools will sell one
of those "security" drivers to anyone with the appropriate amount of
money (information from an earlier thread here in the Digest).

So the lock only protects you from the casual and the ignorant.

dan herrick    herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com