[comp.dcom.telecom] Call Waiting and Prodigy

abc@adm.brl.mil (Brinton Cooper) (02/26/91)

My niece has a PS-1 which runs and connects her to Prodigy (I think).
Anyhow, they have call waiting at their house; as you know, this
feature of the phone often disconnects dial-up modems.  In fact, with
their C-64 and TRS-80 machines, they experienced this when calling
BBS lines.

However, she tells me that when she's connected to Prodigy, the call
waiting seems not to work.  If someone calls during a Prodigy session,
the caller gets a busy signal.

Does someone have an explanation?

I prefer e-mail.  This is a very active group and one that I don't
normally read.  Thanks, folks.

Brint  <abc@brl.mil>   Brinton Cooper
BRL - Where "Research" is our Middle Name.

[Moderator's Note: Might it be that the dial-up number for Prodigy
being used somehow does not supervise on connection of a call? If
supervision is not present, the originating switch may think it is
still trying to set up the call. When you first go off hook and dial a
number, call-waiting is de-activated since an incoming call at that
moment would cause disruption in the dialing process.  Otherwise, how
about doing two things: (1) give us the in-dial number used for closer
examination, and (2) ask your niece to try again and make sure this is
really the case. Better still, *you* try calling her when she is known
to be online with Prodigy and see if you can knock her down. I suspect
she got this report from someone who tried dialing her just as she was
dialing into Prodigy. They got a busy signal at that instant (naturally);
reported it to her and she misunderstood the exact time at which they
called and thought it had to do with Prodigy rather than her status at
the moment.  PAT]

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (02/28/91)

In article <telecom11.162.9@eecs.nwu.edu>, abc@adm.brl.mil (Brinton
Cooper) writes:

> My niece has a PS-1 which runs and connects her to Prodigy (I think).
> Anyhow, they have call waiting at their house; as you know, this
> feature of the phone often disconnects dial-up modems.  In fact, with
> their C-64 and TRS-80 machines, they experienced this when calling
> BBS lines.

> However, she tells me that when she's connected to Prodigy, the call
> waiting seems not to work.  If someone calls during a Prodigy session,
> the caller gets a busy signal.

> Does someone have an explanation?

I believe the Prodigy Startup software asks you whether or not you
have Call Waiting.  If you do, it automatically prepends "*70," to the
phone number when it dials, to disable call waiting.  Have them add
"*70," to the beginning of phone numbers they use to call BBSes, and
they shouldn't get interrupted by Call Waiting any more.

There IS another explanation, by the way.  The Hayes Personal Modem
2400 that is sold with the Prodigy Startup Kit has a special "Call
Waiting" feature.  Not only is the modem tolerant of the call waiting
interruption, but it also has the ability to inform the software with
a special message that a call is coming in.  The software can then put
a message up on the screen for the user which could say something like
"You have another call coming in.  Do you want to log off Prodigy and
take the call now, or ignore it?"  However, even though this feature
was added at Prodigy's request (that modem was built by Hayes to
Prodigy's detailed specifications), I don't believe the feature has
ever actually been supported in Prodigy's software.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

Ed_Greenberg@3mail.3com.com (02/28/91)

If I had reliable info that this was happening, I'd check to see
exactly what Prodigy was dialing.  Perhaps the Prodigious folks
programmed their black-box software to dial *70 before the number,
just in case?

edg