[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI ... March 18 and More

SJS132@psuvm.psu.edu (Steve Shimatzki) (02/27/91)

Here's a few for ya:

Has anyone seen the new ad for MCI, saying something about just wait
till March 18 ... Anyone got the inside scoop?  I hate waiting!

Would it be possible to use Call Forwarding, to call long distance, and
not pay for it?  Heres the Scenario: I call a friend who is right
between me and an area that is LD for me. His number then forwards
to another number, but into the LD area. Do I get the local call, or
billed for the LD number that it was forwarded to?   What if I did
this with a few people, and forwared a forwareded call?   If it is
possible, is there any disadvantages to it? (ie, poor quality call;
Limited use; lots of people involved?)

Steve

[Moderator's Note: Addressing #2, each phone line only is billed for
what it dials. Therefore you would pay for a call to your friend in
the intermediate area, and he would pay for a call to the next area.
If it so happens you both wind up paying for only a local call as a
result, so be it. Where the reality enters is that very rarely can you
string together a series of local calls and wind up paying less than
for a single long distance call. The exception might be if all the
intermediate points had untimed 'free' local service. But a call in
the middle of the night from one side of the country to another is
somewhere around 12 cents a minute on Reach Out ... how many local
connections linked together with chain-forwarding would it require to
cover the same distance, and how many local calls in the path would
cost five or ten cents each?  And who would pay the intermediate
people for their services as telephone operators?  Using various
configurations of call-forwarding is not an effecient way to avoid
long distance charges in most instances. In a limited number of fairly
local or short-haul toll calls, *maybe* -- until you wear out the
patience of the people in the middle with your penny-wise but pound-
foolish experiments.   PAT]

sbrack@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steven S. Brack) (02/28/91)

In article <telecom11.162.8@eecs.nwu.edu> SJS132@psuvm.psu.edu (Steve
Shimatzki) writes:

> Would it be possible to use Call Forwarding, to call long distance, and
> not pay for it?  Heres the Scenario: I call a friend who is right
> between me and an area that is LD for me. His number then forwards
> to another number, but into the LD area. Do I get the local call, or
> billed for the LD number that it was forwarded to?   What if I did
> this with a few people, and forwared a forwareded call?   If it is
> possible, is there any disadvantages to it? (ie, poor quality call;
> Limited use; lots of people involved?)

My uncle recently moved from GTE territory to Ohio Bell territory.
This had the unfortunate side-effect of making the calls he gets from
GTE territory toll calls (1+7D).  So, what he did was have a second
line installed to my house, which he uses only as a forwarding line to
his other number.  As it works out, he ends up saving money (very
little) and his clients can call him without any extra phone charge.
Needless to say, this situation is only cost effective to to the
current turf war between Ohio Bell and GTE in northwest Ohio.  There
are literally areas in Toledo where toll calls are required for
distances as short as 3/4 mile.  Incidently, until Judge Green's
decision, my house did not have any sort of demark, just the house
wires nutted together with Bell's wires.

Steven S. Brack   sbrack@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
sbrack@ewf.eng.ohio-state.edu (Avoid sending here, if possible)

[Moderator's Note: You mention your uncle is saving a little money
each month from this arrangement. Have the savings yet been sufficient
to amoritze, or pay for the initial installation cost of the line
being permanently forwarded and for the monthly charge for the phone
sitting there doing nothing but forwarding calls?  PAT]