[comp.dcom.telecom] Area Code 408 and 1+ Dialing

kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (02/27/91)

In article <telecom11.159.4@eecs.nwu.edu> steve@wattres.uucp (Steve
Watt) writes:

>  On a somewhat related note, I'm curious ... how many area codes are
> there out there (like PacBell territory in 408) that don't require a
> 1+ for *any* call, local, long-distance, or otherwise?

That's only in the Santa Clara valley.  408 area code in Santa Cruz,
which is ALSO PacBell, requires the 1+

No, I don't know why.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

Robert_Swenson.OSBU_North@xerox.com (02/27/91)

> I once heard a rumor that 408 was the last area code in the NANP
> that allowed ten digit (real ten digit, not 1 + ten) dialing.

This is sometimes confusing.  I work in AC 408 where the 1 before the
AC is NOT PERMITTED (this is in Santa Clara county), and I live in 415
(in Alameda county), where it IS required. Sometimes it takes a few
tries before I realize I am using the wrong dialing pattern for where
I am.

Bob Swenson

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/28/91)

Robert_Swenson.OSBU_North@xerox.com writes:

> This is sometimes confusing.  I work in AC 408 where the 1 before the
> AC is NOT PERMITTED (this is in Santa Clara county),

It was my understanding that '1' was made permissive a few years ago.
Are you sure it is your telephone exchange that does not permit using
a '1' and not your in house system? If so, I would be very interested
to know what prefix does not allow the '1'.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: As noted in another message in this issue, his home
phone is 408-737.   PAT]

linc@tongue1.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (02/28/91)

I lived in San Jose from 1985 - 1987, and use of 1+ was permissive at
that time.  Indeed, I'm quite skeptical of the articles that have
appeared recently mentioning that until recently the use of 1+ was
prohibited.  It may have been prohibited for calls within 408, but the
discussion about San Jose being the last area in the country to allow
not using 1+ has centered on dialing other area codes.  Also, I saw
just one too many of the ads with the AT&T clown sweeping up to the
charming background voices singing, "Dial One, Plus the Area Code (if
different from your own), then the Number!" to believe that
1+NPA+Number was prohibited anywhere, at least in the last fifteen or
twenty years, for calls to other area codes.

Linc Madison  =  linc@tongue1.berkeley.edu

P.S. Just my $0.000002 worth on "correct way to write phone numbers":
I prefer (NPA) NXX-XXXX because it allows easier visual "chunking" for
memory purposes.  It is also the way that the vast majority of all
phone numbers I have ever seen printed have been formatted; using
periods between the numbers is almost unheard-of in the U.S.

chapman@alc.com (Brent Chapman) (03/01/91)

In <telecom11.164.8@eecs.nwu.edu> Robert_Swenson.OSBU_North@xerox.com
writes:

>> I once heard a rumor that 408 was the last area code in the NANP
>> that allowed ten digit (real ten digit, not 1 + ten) dialing.

> This is sometimes confusing.  I work in AC 408 where the 1 before the
> AC is NOT PERMITTED (this is in Santa Clara county), and I live in 415
> (in Alameda county), where it IS required. Sometimes it takes a few
> tries before I realize I am using the wrong dialing pattern for where
> I am.

Are you sure this isn't just the funky Xerox phone service?  I used to
work at PARC; I know just how funky it can get ...

I live and work in the 408 area code, and have "normal" lines both at
work (where I run the phone system; an AT&T Merlin II that I
inheirited with the job, if anybody cares) and at home; I habitually
dial "1 415 xxx yyyy" for 415 numbers from both locations, and never
have a problem.  I just tested dialing without the "1" from work, and
sure enough it works, but (at least here, in the 408-943 exchange) it
works just fine _with_ the leading 1 as well.

Brent Chapman                  Ascent Logic Corporation
Computer Operations Manager    180 Rose Orchard Way, Suite 200
chapman@alc.com                San Jose, CA  95134
                               Phone:  408/943-0630

Robert_Swenson.OSBU_North@xerox.com (03/01/91)

 From John Higdon (john@zygot.ati) who wrote:

>> Robert_Swenson.OSBU_North@xerox.com writes:

> This is sometimes confusing.  I work in AC 408 where the 1 before the
> AC is NOT PERMITTED (this is in Santa Clara county),

It was my understanding that '1' was made permissive a few years ago.
Are you sure it is your telephone exchange that does not permit using
a '1' and not your in house system? If so, I would be very interested
to know what prefix does not allow the '1'.

I just tried and my in house system still will not permit +1 (415) xxx
xxxx.  As your note asks, I do not know what Pac Bell will do
directly.  My work phone is (408) 737 xxxx

Bob Swenson

srobson@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Seth I. Robson) (03/01/91)

I live in Santa Cruz, which is a part of the 408 area code.  When I
dial numbers in the greater Bay Area (415), I am required to dial a 1+
first.  Even if I want to make a zone 3 call within my own area code
(say, to Sunnyvale or San Jose), I am still required to dial a 1+
before the rest of the number.  I don't know whether I am the norm or
the exception in the 408 AC.

Seth I. Robson; srobson@ucscb.ucsc.edu (the ascii assassin)
University o'California, Santa Cruz.

AMillar@cup.portal.com (03/03/91)

>> I once heard a rumor that 408 was the last area code in the NANP
>> that allowed ten digit (real ten digit, not 1 + ten) dialing.

> This is sometimes confusing.  I work in AC 408 where the 1 before the
> AC is NOT PERMITTED (this is in Santa Clara county), and I live in 415
> (in Alameda county), where it IS required. Sometimes it takes a few

In most of the Santa Clara - San Jose area, the 1 prefix is not
required, but it is allowed.  I can call from home (North San Jose,
408-945 prefix) with or without the 1.  Possibly your PBX at work is
programmed to not allow the 1?

I'm still used to dialing without the 1, and had an interesting run-in
with a COCOT at the Black Angus in Sunnyvale.  I picked up the handset
and started dialing 800-XXX-X and as soon as it got the seventh digit
it told me to insert 20 cents.  I read the label, which said to dial 1
+ 800 + xxx xxxx.  I dialed the 1, and the phone took it.  I know,
what can you expect from a COCOT, and I should learn to dial 1
anyway, but you know how it goes... :-)

Alan Millar  AMillar@cup.portal.com