[comp.dcom.telecom] Many Software Designers of Caller ID Also Disliked it

luce@uunet.uu.net (J. Luce) (02/06/91)

Up to a year ago, I was an employee of BNR, Inc. (Bell Northern
Research), the R&D arm of Northern Telecom, the perpetrator of this
horrid thing called Caller ID. It should be noted that MANY MANY
software designers who worked on this were against it's concept
without the capability to block it by the CALLER. The software to do
so is actually trivial but in the true sense of software companies we
told our customers it was not. Anyway, we had great outpouring of
disdain for this feature on the company mainframe 'Gossip' area. I
give great attaboys to BNR that no action was taken via censorship or
reprimands by the BNR management.

In fact, several of these articles were forwarded to the PUC for
insertion to the documents against No. Carolina allowing SoBell to
sell Caller ID.  I believe NC did not allow it at that time, but will
allow SoBell to bring it up again. (BTW, I have nothing but respect
for BNR, it is in general one of the best places to work, bar none).

We already had a feature in place to allow crank caller numbers to be
printed at the CO by pressing *XX (depends on BOC usage). Therefore,
no need for CID. I feel that this is one large marketing scam only for
the RBOCs and feel that if I pay for a non-published listing, that CID
should be inactivated. Believe me, the software hooks are there.

John Luce    Alcatel Network Systems   Raleigh, NC
Standard Disclaimer Applies     919-850-6787
Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
or ... !mcnc!aurgate!luce  - or - John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

[Moderator's Note: A copy of Mr. Luce's article is being posted to the
Telecom Privacy mailing list (telecom-priv@pica.army.mil) so that
continued discussion may take place between interested parties in that
forum.  If you wish to subscribe: telecom-priv-request@pica.army.mil.  PAT]

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (02/07/91)

>no need for CID. I feel that this is one large marketing scam only for
>the RBOCs and feel that if I pay for a non-published listing, that CID
>should be inactivated. Believe me, the software hooks are there.

In Maryland, you can now dial *67 before a call and the CID box shows
"Private #" on the display. As a (free) counter-feature, I would like
to be able to have the phone company block all *67'd and otherwise
private # calls from ringing my phone. If you want to call me (enter
my house as it were), I believe I have a right to know who you are
before granting you entrance.

On another note, I wonder if the *XX to report crank calls to the
phone company is a true alternative to CID. CID allows me (in theory)
to find out who is crank calling, and attempt to solve the problem
without resorting to legal proceedings. In some cases, this is more
appropriate.

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

[Moderator's Note: The way to refuse calls from blocked numbers is
pretty simple if you also have call screening. Please note that *67
does not refuse to pass the caller's number to the CO ... but merely
instructs the CO not to give it to you. So what you do is, you have to
get called once by the blocked number. Answer it or not as you
please. When that call is off the line, then do *60 #01# or whatever
you do to 'add last caller whether or not you know the number' to your
list of calls to be screened. Henceforth what they will get for their
*67 + your number will be a recording saying "The customer you have
called has activated call screening, meaning they are not accepting
calls at this time."  Even if they call back unblocked they won't get
through. Anything that Caller*ID can grab can also be handled by its
close cousin, Call Screening.  Above code is from Bell of Illinois,
your telco may have different codes / intercept messages. PAT]

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (02/09/91)

In article <16723@accuvax.nwu.edu>, folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne
Folta) writes:

> In Maryland, you can now dial *67 before a call and the CID box shows
> "Private #" on the display. As a (free) counter-feature, I would like
> to be able to have the phone company block all *67'd and otherwise
> private # calls from ringing my phone. If you want to call me (enter
> my house as it were), I believe I have a right to know who you are
> before granting you entrance.

> [Moderator's Note: The way to refuse calls from blocked numbers is
> pretty simple if you also have call screening. Please note that *67

Call screening (or Call*Block, as it's called in NJ) has another use,
as well.  You can add the last number that called you, and then have
the system read that number back -- verbal Caller*ID on request,
without having to subscribe to Caller*ID or buy a display device.

Ideally, however, the telco should be required to provide a service
where the calling party is advised that the call is being refused
*because* the calling number is being blocked, and that the way to get
through is to call again without invoking the anonymous-caller
feature.

On a related topic, why is Caller ID considered a privacy issue?
Aren't people confusing privacy with anonymity?  Are the states like
Pennsylvania now asserting that their citizens have the right to
anonymity when they disturb others by telephone?

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

[Moderator's Note: Dave raises some interesting points in his final
paragraph that are probably better suited for Telecom-Priv rather than
here. If anyone wants to respond to him on the last paragraph please
do it in the supplementary list. Regarding the 'instant Caller*ID'
obtained by blocking the last number then having the directory of
screened numbers read back to you, we don't get that here. If you opt
to 'screen last call' by *60 #01# rather than by the specifici] number
(because you don't know it) the system confirms that you have stored
what it terms a 'private entry' which is the way the directory reads
it back.  PAT]

malcolm@apple.com (Malcolm Slaney) (02/10/91)

>[Moderator's Note: The way to refuse calls from blocked numbers is
>pretty simple if you also have call screening. Please note that *67
>does not refuse to pass the caller's number to the CO ... but merely
>instructs the CO not to give it to you. So what you do is, you have to
>get called once by the blocked number. Answer it or not as you
>please. When that call is off the line, then do *60 #01# or whatever
>you do to 'add last caller whether or not you know the number' to your
>list of calls to be screened.

But Pat, that's not what he was asking for ... I too would very much
like to be able to tell the CO that it shouldn't even bother ringing
my phone if the caller says his number is private.  If it was an
emergency then they could arrange to call me back and send a real
number.

Which brings me to a more interesting point ... has anybody made a box
that translates a CID phone number into an audio message?  It doesn't
seem very useful to me if I have to get up out of my easy chair and go
to the little box to see what's on the display ... besides I suspect
I'll have more phones in my house than CID displays.  Maybe this won't
be a problem in the future when every phone has a little display
showing the CID.

Malcolm

[Moderator's Note: I know what he was asking for, but it does not seem
likely in the near future (that CO will block incoming calls to you
merely because the other end withholds ID). So the alternative I
suggested is one work-around that is less than perfect.  PAT]

kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (02/12/91)

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) writes:

>Ideally, however, the telco should be required to provide a service
>where the calling party is advised that the call is being refused
>*because* the calling number is being blocked, and that the way to get
>through is to call again without invoking the anonymous-caller
>feature.

The {Chicago Tribune} had a article about this about a month ago. They
called the feature "block-blocking". They said it had the support of
almost everyone involved in the issue. As you point out, it allows you
to screen calls. A phone system with Caller-ID and block-blocking will
be just as effective in eliminating unwanted calls as one with
caller-id and no blocking.

At the same time, you will be able to block your number when you call
a business, and so you will be able to avoid being automatically
placed on their mailing list. [Except Radio Shack, which will probably
not accept blocked calls :-)]

It seems like a perfect solution; it provides people with the most
service; and yet, the phone companies are against it. Why?

>On a related topic, why is Caller ID considered a privacy issue?
>Aren't people confusing privacy with anonymity?

Privacy and anonymity are intertwined:

[From the ACLU handbook "Your Right To Privacy", Evan Hendricks, et al, 1990]

'Privacy' can be many things to many people. Some associate the term
with right to abortion. Others think of the right to choose a sexual
preference. Many simply consider it 'the right to be left alone' in
any number of contexts. This book does not cover those notions of
privacy.  Instead, it focuses on information privacy, which involves
the legal rights of individuals in relation to information about them
that is circulating throughout society.

[...]

Many of the data[base] networks are seen as a benign response to
societal demands for faster service and greater efficiency -- at least
in terms of the way in which they've been operated to present.
Nevertheless, information is power. The advent of the computer age --
control of personal data by large institutions and the leverage this
provides over individuals -- clashes with the American tradition of
privacy and often with desirable limits on institutional intrusion
into private lives."

>Are the states like
>Pennsylvania now asserting that their citizens have the right to
>anonymity when they disturb others by telephone?

The principle in states like Pennsylvania is that phone calls cannot
be recorded and phone numbers cannot released without the consent of
both parties. Block-blocking provides a mechanism for providing this
consent.

Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

dai@cs.washington.edu (Davidson Corry) (02/17/91)

In article <telecom11.115.5@eecs.nwu.edu> kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M.
Kadie) writes:

> It seems like a perfect solution; it provides people with the most
> service; and yet, the phone companies are against it. Why?

You answer your own question:

> Privacy and anonymity are intertwined:

> The principle in states like Pennsylvania is that phone calls cannot
> be recorded and phone numbers cannot released without the consent of
> both parties. Block-blocking provides a mechanism for providing this
> consent.

The phone companies make a profit  by providing a  service.  Caller ID
is a service  which provides the datum  "This is  X  calling" --  in a
convenient, machine-readable form requiring no  explicit  action taken
by the caller.   The value of   this service to   the phone companies'
subscribers, and thus the potential for profit, is clearly enhanced by
increasing the size  of this  data  pool, and threatened  by  anything
which diminishes it.  Thus it's in  their interest to make ID-blocking
as inconvenient as possible; likewise, block-blocking has a "chilling"
effect on telephone (and Caller-ID) usage.

The implication is that the telco "owns"  -- has the right  to control
 -- the datum "This is  X calling".  This requires no breach of ethics
or intellectual  dishonesty: the people at   TPC may sincerely believe
it.

I simply disagree: I believe that the datum belongs TO THE CALLER, for
whatever reason appeals to him: a desire for privacy, a desire to stay
out of some telemarketer's database,  or just plain cussedness ... and
the  fact  that some  heavy-breather might  block ID for reprehensible
intent  does  NOT justify  denying  ME   that  right  to privacy   and
anonymity.  Clearly the ACLU, the Pennsylvania courts and others agree.

The necessary concomitant  of  ID-blocking  is  that the  callee has a
right to decline to accept communications with someone who declines to
identify himself: block-blocking.

Without convenient ID-blocking AND block-blocking, Caller ID  is NOT a
service, as far as I'm concerned, it's an invasion.

Davidson Corry  (dai@icxn.com)

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Tech News Account) (02/17/91)

I still like my (and several other people`s) old idea:

There are MANY services which are only available to BUSINESS customers
 ... why not make CALLER*ID available only to RESIDENTIAL customers?

That would   eliminate the direct marketing  and  call back fears, and
still leave it avail. for  personal use... so what  if it doesn`t help
the pizza parlors cull fake orders.

kadokev@iitvax.bitnet   technews@iitmax.edu   My employer disagrees.

m21198@mwunix.mitre.org (John McHarry) (02/18/91)

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Tech News Account) writes:

> ... why not make CALLER*ID available only to RESIDENTIAL customers?

> still leave it avail. for  personal use... so what  if it doesn`t help
> the pizza parlors cull fake orders.

O heaven forfend!  The pizza parlor's putting my standard order in a
data base and getting it right (and to the right address) for a change
is one of the best uses I can see for the thing.

gast@cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (02/21/91)

Carl M. Kadie <kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu> writes:

> At the same time, you will be able to block your number when you call
> a business, and so you will be able to avoid being automatically
> placed on their mailing list. [Except Radio Shack, which will probably
> not accept blocked calls :-)]

> It seems like a perfect solution; it provides people with the most
> service; and yet, the phone companies are against it. Why?

The phone company is not interested in privacy or customer service,
they are interested in selling (unneeded) junk/services.  Who will be
the big buyers of CID info?  Businesses to sell the information.

Naturally, TPC does not want you to block it, that would diminish the
demand by busineses for CID.  They want everybody to be forced to buy
it.  If X has it and you do not, you will be at a disadvantage, so you
will be forced to buy it.

The arguments they make on TV about how CID will protect your privacy
is just propaganda, designed by their marketing staffs to affect the
biggest emotional appeal.  Do you really think they would sell service
that will allow you block telemarketing calls?  Those people are some
of their best customers.

David

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/24/91)

The phone company doesn't need to sell a service that would block
telemarketing calls (ie, blocked call blocking) ... Caller*ID and
call-block provide all you need. Just build a box that eats the first
ring and dumps the call if the caller-ID says "refused".

How cheaply could this be made?

(peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)

[Moderator's Note: Wouldn't you need such a box right at the demark
ahead of any phones on your premises? Otherwise what would prevent an
exension from ringing?  Also, would this box need to output ringing
current to ring the phones if the call met your conditions, or would
the box itself have some sort of warbler in it?    PAT]

system@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (system administrator) (03/03/91)

gast@cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) writes:

> The arguments they make on TV about how CID will protect your privacy
> is just propaganda, designed by their marketing staffs to affect the
> biggest emotional appeal.  Do you really think they would sell service
> that will allow you block telemarketing calls?  Those people are some
> of their best customers.

They may well be "some of their best customers", but the "little
people" make up the bulk of the system, don't they?  If each of us
were to write to the appropriate regulators (public service commission
or equivalent), then our voices might just be heard.

Steve Pershing, System Administrator

The QUESTOR PROJECT - Free Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more

Usenet:  sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca      |  POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486
Phones:  Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682-6659  |        Vancouver, British Columbia
         Data/BBS:   +1 604 681-0670  |        Canada  V6E 4L2