[comp.dcom.telecom] And You Thought COCOTs Were a Problem

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (03/01/91)

 From L.M. BOYD's column, February 28 (sort of a strange facts
column):

  "History records that some of the world's first telephone booths
were mistaken for elevators. Others for restrooms."

[Moderator's Note: They are still used as public bathrooms here in
Chicago, and places to leave public messages of the 'to whom it may
concern' variety regarding places and people to call.  :)     PAT]

yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com (Bob Yazz) (03/03/91)

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  From L.M. BOYD's column, February 28 (sort of a strange facts column):

>   "History records that some of the world's first telephone booths
> were mistaken for elevators. Others for restrooms."

> [Moderator's Note: They are still used as public bathrooms here in
> Chicago :)     PAT]

If I might joke about junkies for a moment, I'll point out that
they're still used by some as elevators too.

Bob Yazz --  yazz@lccsd.sd.locus.com

[Moderator's Note: And, as New York Telephone indignantly pointed out
a couple years ago, they are *NOT* to be used as Confessionals. This
was right after the scandalous 'True Confessions' 900 line first
started operating, and the proprietor of same ran an advertisement of
a man kneeling in a phone booth, hands folded, looking up at the
phone in a meditative state. Anyway, would *you* want to kneel in front
of a filthy toilet?  :)   PAT]