[comp.dcom.telecom] Getting Account/Billing Information by Phone

zellich@stl-07sima.army.mil (Rich Zellich) (03/03/91)

Bob Yazz <yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com> writes:

> I dumped Sprint in favor of AT&T after verifying that Sprint had
> programmed their computer to reveal my billing info to anybody who
> called them knowing my phone number.

Yesterday I received my Southwestern Bell Tel. bill here in the St.
Louis, MO area.  In the usual insert, they announce a new account-
info-by-touch-tone-phone service.

All I have to punch in is my account number, which is my ten-digit
phone number PLUS a three-digit suffix.  They do not, apparently, try
to use ANI to match the calling number with the account number (as is
only right, since you could be calling from a different phone, of
course).

I suppose if I were *really* paranoid, I could worry about someone
demon-dialing my phone number and suffixes from 111-999 (or 000-999 to
be thorough), but I'm not worried about it.

It is interesting to note that sometime in the past, they thought to
add a three-digit suffix to [one of] the phone number[s] to make the
account number, instead of simply using the raw three-digit phone
number.  I wonder what other reasons there were besides the new one of
enforcing account privacy for their info-by-phone service?

Cheers,

Rich

[Moderator's Note: For many years there has been a three digit part to
your phone number (where the bill was concerned) called the RAO, or
Regional Accounting Office code.  This dates back to pre-divestiture
AT&T accounting practices. You might want to detirmine that everyone
who uses the new service in your area does not have the same three
digits as part of the input!  It is quite likely they do, and that the
three digit suffix is not a PIN, but rather an accounting code.  PAT]