[comp.dcom.telecom] International 800 Numbers?

hansm@cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) (02/27/91)

In article <telecom11.154.11@eecs.nwu.edu> david@cs.uow.edu.au (David
E A Wilson) writes:

> We can call special six digit international 800 numbers.

Are you sure international 800 numbers exist today?  If so, why do
televised ads aiming at an international audience contain those
screens full of national 800 numbers, when a single international 800
number would do the job?

(I was about to say ``Look at any of those Euro-XXX channels'', but I
guess David can't receive those in Australia.)

It was my impresssion that the idea of international 800 number had
occurred to the PTTs only recently and that it was still years away.

> Is it just coincidence that most countries auto-reverse charge numbers start
> with either 800/008 or is there an international standard?

For what it's worth, auto-reverse charge numbers in the Netherlands
start with 06-0 or 06-4.

Have a nice day,

Hans Mulder	hansm@cs.kun.nl

[Moderator's Note: Some 800 numbers are international, but relatively
few in comparison to the total. The European versions of 'USA Direct'
operating in this country (allowing residents of other countries
visiting here to 'call home' and speak with an operator in their home
country in their native language, just like USA Direct in reverse) all
have 800 numbers assigned to them. And, there are a few others.  PAT]

djcl@contact.uucp (woody) (03/03/91)

"International" 800 numbers just seem to be domestic toll-free numbers
that get call-forwarded to their international destination. Canada has
agreements with some countries for such service. However, each country
has its own toll-free system (North America 1-800, UK 0800, and the
Netherlands with 06-0/4). Numbering plan setups require different
numbers in different countries.

There was a posting in TELECOM Digest not too many months ago about
some noises that a CCITT study group was making so as to provide a
toll free country code so that a consistent dialing number may be had
through the overseas dialing system.

One flaw was that the proposed country code would be 800. While the
idea of patterning the country code after the common 800 code (North
America, UK), that in fact would be confusing for the existing
domestic 800 services. Anyone with connections with the CCITT should
push for a toll-free country code, but make it something other than
800 (like 991, which could see the 99X country codes used for special
purposes; an international 900/976-style service, anyone? ;-))

djcl@contact.uucp ... in April, watch for postings from Florida

hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Peter Anvin) (03/03/91)

In article <telecom11.164.4@eecs.nwu.edu> our Moderator Notes:

> [Moderator's Note: Some 800 numbers are international, but relatively
> few in comparison to the total. The European versions of 'USA Direct'
> operating in this country (allowing residents of other countries
> visiting here to 'call home' and speak with an operator in their home
> country in their native language, just like USA Direct in reverse) all
> have 800 numbers assigned to them. And, there are a few others.  PAT]

Those 800 numbers aren't international at all!  You cannot dial them
outside the NANP.  They are *national access numbers*, accessing an
international gateway, but you can only dial them from one
country/region.  For example, in Sweden all such numbers have Swedish
020-XX XX XX numbers, even if they terminate in Sweden, Belgium or the
USA.

The question is, when can we dial:

  011-800-45-XX XX XX  from the USA,
  009-800-45-XX XX XX  from Sweden,
  00-800-45-XX XX XX   from the EEC,
  010-800-45-XX XX XX  from the UK,
  990-800-45-XX XX XX  from Finland,     (hope I am correct about this one)

all to reach the same number, terminating in Norway?
That way one number, +800 45 XX XX XX would do for all countries.

  (I think Norway is 45, but I am taking it off the top of my head.)

hpa = H. Peter Anvin (in case you wondered) * Heja Sverige!
INTERNET:   hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu   FIDONET:  1:115/989.4
HAM RADIO:  N9ITP, SM4TKN             RBBSNET:  8:970/101.4

[Moderator's Note: Sorry I misunderstood the original question, I
guess. If the above is how you are defining it, then no, there is no
such thing as 'international 800'.    PAT]

gutierre@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (03/03/91)

hansm@cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) writes:

> Are you sure international 800 numbers exist today?  If so, why do
> televised ads aiming at an international audience contain those
> screens full of national 800 numbers, when a single international 800
> number would do the job?

True international 800 numbers don't exist, unfortunately.  Wasn't
CCITT working on a dialling plan to institute an international 800
system???

Consequently, here at NASA/NSI Network Ops, we have to have seven
national 800 numbers (USA, France, Italy, Japan, Netherlands,
Switzerland and the U.K.), with seven different numbers to deal with,
depending on where on this planet you are.

> For what it's worth, auto-reverse charge numbers in the Netherlands
> start with 06-0 or 06-4.

That's right.  Our Netherlands number starts as 06-022-XXXX.

Robert Gutierrez - NASA Science Internet Network Operations.
		   Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif.