[comp.dcom.telecom] Large Local Calling Area

HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu (Robert M. Hamer) (03/01/91)

Arnold Robbins <arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

> code.  The Atlanta LATA is apparently the largest free calling area in
> the world, from what an adjunct professor who works for Southern Bell
> once told me.

I heard somewhere that the "Big Island" in Hawaii might also be a
candidate for largest free calling area, as in Hawaii, each island is
a LATA.  Anyone know for sure?

newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Mike Newton) (03/03/91)

This seems to come up every few years...

As of when I was last living there (1.5 years ago -- and Hawaiian Tel
doesnt move too fast ..) all of the Big Island (4000+ sq. mi.) is one
calling area.

It also has one of the greatest vertical calls.  The observatories on
top (14 k feet) have Hilo prefixes (sea level and 15 miles away).
Also, Hilo is the wettest US city (average of 160 in/yr rain in Hilo).

Long distance was amusing.  I could call Mass. (at night, possibly
during the day too, but I've forgotten for sure) far cheaper than I
could call Oahu (Honolulu).  (With _Long_ Reach out America).  But,
all calls to the mainland did something like:

   me --> local-switch --> u-wave station --> u-wave xcvr (oahu) -->
   oahu CO --> '2 block long' cable to ATT --> [usually:] satallite
   xmtr --> satallite xcvr (near San Fran.)  [the last few could be
   replaced with cable to mainland ... making cnversations _much_
   easier due to the lack of delay].

It gave even newer meaning to the phrase `phase shift' ...

We never did get our PEP telebit modems going above 600 cps ...

mike (newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu)  Beach Bums Anonymous, Pasadena President