[comp.dcom.telecom] Should Projects be Connected to the Phone Line?

atn@cory.berkeley.edu (Alan Nishioka) (02/13/91)

Thank you to all who answered my previous message about my project
causing the phone to stop ringing.  I responded via EMAIL.

However, in response to my article, John Higdon brought up a problem
that had been bothering me.  He said that my project SHOULD comply
with the various parts of the FCC rules since it needed to connect
directly to the phone network.

Now, many books and magazines regularly publish projects that connect
to the phone line.  Even the usually respectable TELECOM Digest
recently published several such projects.  I don't think any of them
have been certified anything by anyone.

I see two issues involved: One of safety (to craftspersons, etc. ) and
the other of just following the rules.  I can see if I were going to
sell these devices that I would be interested in both, but as a
hobbyist I am mostly interested in the first.

I understand there are network interface devices that one can buy and
thus have any device automatically safe and certified to connect to a
line, but these are out of my budget.  I also don't see how they make
that much of a difference.

I plan to power my project using a 12VDC transformer unit since the
lights take more current than the line can provide.  I have a
1MEG/5MEG voltage divider across the line to read voltages and plan to
drop a 255ohm resistor across the line with a transistor for a hold
function.  All of this is prefaced by a bridge rectifier.

Is this safe?  Are there other concerns here that I am missing?
Should *anyone* build *anything* that connects to the phone line?  Can
it be reasonably priced?  Does the phone company really care?  Should
I do it anyway and just kinda feel guilty? :-)

Alan Nishioka      KC6KHV      atn@cory.berkeley.edu      ...!ucbvax!cory!atn
974 Tulare Avenue, Albany CA 94707-2540     37'52N/122'15W    +1 415 526 1818

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (02/16/91)

In article <74667@bu.edu.bu.edu> atn@cory.berkeley.edu (Alan Nishioka)
writes:

> Is this safe?  Are there other concerns here that I am missing?

The thrust of FCC 68 is that you don't damage or overload the
telephone network. Hence the load limitations : maximum of 1.6K AC to
ring current, max of 5 Meg DC on-hook. Another concern is signal power
injected back to tip and ring. If your device does not intend to send
back audio signals, then there are (generous) limits on out of band
signal power, such as leakage from high frequency clocks in your
digital section.

The isolation requirements call for up to 1500V of insulation between
tip/ring and any user accessible, outside parts of your box.

FCC 68 also specifies that after a simulated lightning strike, 800V
spike, 10uS rise, 560uS fall, 25 amp max surge, your equipment should
still meet the impedance and signal power limitations. If you use an
MOV on tip and ring, that should cover it.

A relatively new requirement, UL 1459, is required from July, 1991
onwards (for phones, I'm told). The big deal about this test is your
circuit must not burst into flames upon application of 600V RMS across
tip and ring for 30 minutes or more. (The test is sneaky: if you use a
series fuse, they're allowed to current limit just below the fuse
limit, and see if the rest of your circuit burns)

All this sounds a little overwhelming, I know, but the reason it's so
fresh in my memory is because we're going through the process
ourselves. I covered the main points above, but there might be some
more that I missed.

> Should *anyone* build *anything* that connects to the phone line?  Can
> it be reasonably priced?  Does the phone company really care?  Should
> I do it anyway and just kinda feel guilty? :-)

 From personal experience, if an experimental circuit is briefly
connected across a line, the telephone company does not notice it. But
I'd not leave such a circuit connected while I'm not around to observe
it. My judgement is : the few dollars saved by leaving a hacked up
circuit connected to the line are not worth the potential risk of the
insurance company refusing to pay for a fire or personal injury that
the device caused (to take an extreme example).

Regards,

Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (02/16/91)

atn@cory.berkeley.edu (Alan Nishioka) writes:

> Now, many books and magazines regularly publish projects that connect
> to the phone line.  Even the usually respectable TELECOM Digest
> recently published several such projects.  I don't think any of them
> have been certified anything by anyone.

The books that I've seen generally include a caveat that the projects
don't necessarily meet legal interface or registration requirements.

> I see two issues involved: One of safety (to craftspersons, etc. ) and
> the other of just following the rules.  I can see if I were going to
> sell these devices that I would be interested in both, but as a
> hobbyist I am mostly interested in the first.

> Is this safe?  Are there other concerns here that I am missing?
> Should *anyone* build *anything* that connects to the phone line?  Can
> it be reasonably priced?  Does the phone company really care?  Should
> I do it anyway and just kinda feel guilty? :-)

The phone company is interested in protecting their employees and
equipment.  Unregistered devices can potentially disrupt somebody
elses' service or put dangerous voltages on the phone line.  If you DO
coincidentally cause problems, it's a good bet that the phone company
will disconnect your service without notification and you may have a
very hard time getting it restored.  I suspect that the authors of the
articles you mentioned would point out that you could connect the
devices to your OWN local telephone switch without worrying about
tariffs or registration.

Mike Berger  Department of Statistics, University of Illinois
AT&TNET: 217-244-6067   Internet: berger@atropa.stat.uiuc.edu

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (02/16/91)

  This may be a dumb question but ...

  Is there any device  that one could  insert in  place  of or  on the
customer side of the Network Interface  that would serve the functions
for protecting the phone company equipment and employees from any real
or imagined damage from faulty project design or construction ?

  Would  such device prevent the CO from detecting the attached equip-
ment and would it meet the FCC regulatory requirements ?

Jeff Sicherman

julian%bongo.UUCP@nosc.mil (Julian Macassey) (02/16/91)

writes:

> However, in response to my article, John Higdon brought up a problem
> that had been bothering me.  He said that my project SHOULD comply
> with the various parts of the FCC rules since it needed to connect
> directly to the phone network.

	Stuff deleted

> I see two issues involved: One of safety (to craftspersons, etc. ) and
> the other of just following the rules.  I can see if I were going to
> sell these devices that I would be interested in both, but as a
> hobbyist I am mostly interested in the first.

	This comes up every now and again.   Yes, if you interpret the
rules as a paper  pusher, you  can't attach anything  to the line that
isn't certified as meeting FCC Part 68. But then how  would you design
and test a device in order to take a "production  model" of it to take
to an FCC lab for testing? This is obviously silly and not  the intent
of the regs. So yes, although it is by the book illegal,  you can make
one of devices for your own use. The telephone police  are unlikely to
call. If you want to make it availble to the public as  a product, get
it FCC certified or the telephone police will pay a visit.

	Of course if a device violates  some of the  FCC rules, it may
not work very well. The rules are there partly as a quality check. But
you don't have to  be worried about  stuff  like REN measuremnt if you
have nothing attached when the phone is on hook etc.

	Now the "damage to  the network" myth. If  you attach anything
strange to your phone line, the only part of  the network liable to be
put out  of  commission is your phone line.  If you short the line you
will busy it out. If you open the line, it will look  like there is no
phone attached. It is  much, much  more dangerous  to mess  with mains
electricity, yet people do that all the  time. Yes, if you really mess
with  electricity, the whole street can  go  dark. Yes, you  can build
your own electrical devices and connect them. Funny world isn't it?

	Please tinker with  your phones and equipment. It  is the best
way to learn. It is hard to kill yourself  playing  with phones. It is
hard to cause fires playing  with phones. I wish  I could say the same
about mains electricity.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@N6YN (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

carroll@ssc-vax.uucp (Jeff Carroll) (02/17/91)

writes:

> However, in response to my article, John Higdon brought up a problem
> that had been bothering me.  He said that my project SHOULD comply
> with the various parts of the FCC rules since it needed to connect
> directly to the phone network.

He's right,  legally speaking. The  FCC is pretty  specific about what
you can  connect to the PSTN,  for a  good reason   -  because  in our
deregulated telecom environment, they're the only ones who can be.

> Now, many books and magazines regularly publish projects that connect
> to the phone line.  Even the usually respectable TELECOM Digest
> recently published several such projects.  I don't think any of them
> have been certified anything by anyone.

Most  if not all of them  are illegal. The  more  savvy publishers and
kit-sellers (e.g., Radio Shack) will *tell*  you not to  connect these
things  to  the PSTN - that  they  are just fine   to  connect to your
in-house intercom, but shouldn't be connected to your phone wires.

> I see two issues involved: One of safety (to craftspersons, etc. ) and
> the other of just following the rules.  I can see if I were going to
> sell these devices that I would be interested in both, but as a
> hobbyist I am mostly interested in the first.

There's a third issue - protecting the integrity of the  network. As a
telephone subscriber, you consume an amount of  network resources.  In
order   to keep the  cost of   billing within  the troposphere,  telco
doesn't go to  the trouble of measuring many  of the resources you use
such as seconds of  dial  tone,  number of unsuccessful   calls, local
office battery power  consumed, etc. This does  not mean that  you are
granted a license to  use these  resources wantonly, carelessly, or in
such  a way  as to impair  the quality of service delivered  to  other
subscribers, or  to make it  unreasonably costly for telco  to provide
you service.

In a circuit-switched network, it is pretty hard for one subscriber to
impair another's  service,  unless it's  by   calling that  subscriber
repeatedly and   continuously.  (Assuming  that everyone   has private
lines.)  In other kinds of  network,  it's a lot  easier; witness what
broadcast storms or sendmail worms can do to a LAN or an Internet.  In
Europe (particularly in the Netherlands), the PTT has serious problems
with pirate broadcasters setting up shop on the cable TV network.

Now,  I'm   not trying  to  tell  you    that   you can't  attach your
well-designed,   well-built project to the  PSTN;  I'm just trying  to
explain to you why telco  is justified in  cutting you off or  seeking
legal  remedies when  your  non-certified device  causes  chaos in the
central office.

> I understand there are network interface devices that one can buy and
> thus have any device automatically safe and certified to connect to a
> line, but these are out of my budget.  I also don't see how they make
> that much of a difference.

They make a difference because they (at least to the  engineers at the
FCC) prevent you from degrading the network.

Note to flamers: I'm not suggesting that telco has the Public Interest
primarily  or  even significantly at heart. Nor  am  I suggesting that
Judge Greene knows anything about technology. Nor am I suggesting that
just because  the FCC says something makes  it  so.  I'm just pointing
out that system engineering is what it  is, and in  order for a system
to work, one needs to respect the designers' intentions.

Jeff Carroll    carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

macy@usenet.ins.cwru.edu (Macy Hallock) (02/23/91)

In article <telecom11.124.3@eecs.nwu.edu> Jeff Sicherman writes:

>  Is there any device  that one could  insert in  place  of or  on the
> customer side of the Network Interface  that would serve the functions
> for protecting the phone company equipment and employees from any real
> or imagined damage from faulty project design or construction ?

Sure!  Somewhere in my basement I have a couple of KS-20721 Line
Protection Devices.  I can strap them up as STC's for you, too.

Ohio Bell swore these were absolutely necessary to prevent the
destruction of the network by non-Bell equipment ... seems like that
was only a few years ago, as I recall.

If these are not acceptable, I might be able to find some CDH or STP
type units for you ... maybe we should hook them up in front of John
Higdon's Panasonic PBX to keep it from degrading the network as we
know it ...

(Sorry for the sarcasm here, but it really wasn't that long ago that
AT&T and the Bell Companies assured the FCC that couplers were
absolutely mandatory to protect the network.  And the Bells wonder why
their "concerns" meet with so much skepticism these days!)

Seriously, there used to be FCC approved units for this purpose
around.  I think they were used in answering machines extensively at
one time.  I recall seeing an ad for FCC registered line isolation
modules for incorporation into equipment not too long ago.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr.    macy@fmsystm.UUCP
macy@NCoast.ORG uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy

jimmy@icjapan.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (03/03/91)

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> writes:

> Macy Hallock <fmsys!macy@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> writes:

>> Somewhere in my basement I have a couple of KS-20721s

> A final note: to its credit, the CPUC eventually ordered Pac*Bell to
> refund ALL money EVER paid by customers for "network protection"
> devices. This included installation and montly charges plus interest.

The really neat part of this was that they still took orders for these
devices (we always called them "couplers") after they announced that
anyone could get this refund for the asking.

Knowing this, I ordered a ton of RDMZR (KS-20721) and RDL (KS-19522)
couplers.  A few months later I called for my refund.  And sure
enough, a check arrived covering all costs plus 7% simple interest.
And because, as John described, there was a lot of equipment in the
field that required that the coupler be there, Pacific Telephone let
you keep the device in place.

My friends and I used the RDMZR for multi-line conferencing (we just
tied the audio pairs together and used the control leads for various
control functions).  But I always liked the RDL.  I have always liked
to fiddle with phones and electronics, but I have also always been a
bit lazy.  Why design my own telephone interface circuit when the RDL
will do it all for you.  It signals you that the line is ringing, you
tell it when to answer.  It then allows outgoing audio.  When you are
done with your outgoing announcement, you short a pair of wires and
the RDL automatically provides a beep tone, reverses the direction of
audio, and throws a relay to stop your outgoing tape and start your
incoming tape.

Despite what John Higdon says about audio loss, I still say that the
answering machines I built with RDLs sounded better than most
commercial machines on the market today (and definitely better than
voice mail [which I now use]).