[comp.dcom.telecom] FCC Proposed Rule Changes; Equal Access

bill%gauss@gatech.edu (bill) (02/17/91)

[Moderator's  Note:  Bill Berbenich sent this   from  the AP wire; Tom
Coradeschi  <tcora@pica.army.mil> sent  the same  story from the {Star
Ledger} on Thursday. My thanks to both of you.  PAT]

   WASHINGTON (AP) -- Travelers  fed up with  high long-distance phone
charges at airports, hotels and other public places  would get a break
under new rules proposed by the Federal Communications Commission.

   The prospective rules, unveiled at a commission meeting Wednesday,
would guarantee travelers easier access to the long-distance company
they use at home.

   That means anyone making "dial 0" calls could avoid using so-called
operator services companies that have rates that  may  be two or three
times what major long-distance carriers such  as American  Telephone &
Telegraph Co., MCI and US Sprint charge.

   The agency also invited  public  comment  on  a plan  to compensate
owners of pay phones from which some long-distance calls are made.

   The commission also:

   -- Proposed  either changing  or  eliminating rules   that prohibit
companies offering   cellular  telephone  service from  also   selling
equipment.  The companies  could not  require   customers to  purchase
equipment to receive service.

   -- Decided to consider whether it  will preempt some local statutes
that  outlaw mobile scanners.  Some  cities  and states forbid  mobile
scanners because they can pick up police, fire and ambulance channels.
But some FCC-licensed  ham radio operators  have  been fined and their
equipment confiscated for violations.

   Congress,  in  last year's  Telephone   Operator  Consumer Services
Improvement Act,  required the FCC  to  design a  plan to  ensure that
people  using  hotel  and   public  telephones  have access   to   the
long-distance carriers they choose.

   In many cases, coin  and hotel phones  owners,  called aggregators,
route all calls  to  a single operator  services company, which  has a
contract with long-distance carriers that actually carry the calls.

   The phone owners usually receive a commission, which can be as high
as twenty percent, from the operator company for each call made.

   But customers  have complained about the  high cost of  some of the
calls and about not being able to use their presubscribed long distance
companies.

   "Even as we speak, there are people in the  Atlanta airport beating
on the walls and banging on telephones trying to figure out how to get
access  to their long-distance   companies," Commissioner Ervin Duggin
said.

   The commission could  force all  long  distance carriers to  set up
either 800-  or 950-prefix telephone numbers for  a customer to use in
gaining  access to their   systems.  Or it could  require  that public
phones allow  a customer to dial the  "10XXX"  access code assigned to
his company.

   US Sprint's access code, for instance, is 10333.

   The proposed rules would give  aggregators a year to unblock access
to 10XXX numbers at pay phones. Hotel and other internal phone systems
would be given three years to allow  access to 10XXX  numbers. If they
replaced their equipment  before then,  they would have  to  make  the
change at that time.

   MCI   and US Sprint   customers already can  use either  800 or 950
numbers or dial a 10XXX access code.

   But  AT&T   depends  solely on  the  access code.  That company has
lobbied the FCC to require 10XXX access,  saying it would cost as much
as $50 million to develop  and  $250 million a  year to operate an 800
access number.

  "It would be costly for us to set up an 800 network," AT&T spokesman
Jim McGann said.

   Aggregators have  worried  that unblocking access to  10XXX numbers
could  lead  to fraud.  Some  local  phone systems  can't  distinguish
between charge or collect calls and direct-dialed calls. The  owner of
the phone could be stuck with the charges from a direct-dialed call.

   The FCC also  must   decide  whether  pay  phone owners   should be
compensated for the  access calls.  Currently, anyone  using an access
number pays only the long-distance company.

   The North  American Telecommunications   Association has asked that
the owners be allowed to charge 25 cents for each call.

Bill Berbenich      bill@eedsp.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering

            -- and --

Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>

jimmy@icjapan.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (02/18/91)

In article <telecom11.122.1@eecs.nwu.edu> the AP Wire Service writes:

>   MCI   and US Sprint   customers already can  use either  800 or 950
>numbers or dial a 10XXX access code.

>   But  AT&T   depends  solely on  the  access code.  That company has
>lobbied the FCC to require 10XXX access,  saying it would cost as much
>as $50 million to develop  and  $250 million a  year to operate an 800
>access number.

I can partially understand AT&T's reluctance to set up an 800 number,
given the marketing costs involved and the fact that 10XXX exists.
But I think they should bite the bullet.

10XXX will never provide the access that an 800 number does.  The
problem is that 10XXX+0+ must, by necessity, be blocked quite often.

Go into most large comapnies and ask to use the phone.  You will
usually be offered a telephone that is restricted to local calls and
800 numbers.  The business can not allow any type of 0+ calling
because they can not risk that you may dial 0+ and make the call
person-to-person or do some other billing that will come back to them.

Hotels usually have toll terminal trunks to get around this problem,
but ordinary businesses do not have such lines, and must therefore
block 0+.

AT&T must get a nationwide 950 or 800 number if it wishes that its
customers be able to use AT&T long distance from any telephone.

Jim Gottlieb	Info Connections, Tokyo, Japan

E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.info.com> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
Fax: +81 3 3237 5867   Voice Mail: +81 3 3222 8429

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/21/91)

 Re: AT&T versus 800 number access.

Yes, now that equal access is here AT&T is at a disadvantage. I carry
a Sprint FONcard around simply because I can't depend on getting
through to AT&T on my Universal card.

peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com

schwartz@uunet.uu.net (S. H. Schwartz) (02/21/91)

In article <telecom11.129.7@eecs.nwu.edu> Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@denwa.
info.com> writes:

> AT&T must get a nationwide 950 or 800 number if it wishes that its
> customers be able to use AT&T long distance from any telephone.

 ... as long as it isn't a COCOT.  One such animal in Boston tried to
take $4.00 from me for an 800 number.  Granted, it's an exception --
most phones of any gender permit free 800 calls -- but there's nothing
to stop a COCOT-meister from inventing his own charges.

S. H. Schwartz				schwartz@nynexst.com
Expert Systems Laboratory		914-683-2960
NYNEX Science and Technology Center	White Plains, NY 10604

[Moderator's Note: I don't see why AT&T has to get an 800 number. The
rules established for this plainly call for equal access via 10xxx,
and thus far, AT&T has been insisting everyone follow the rules. I've
heard all the arguments about fraud and difficulty in billing 10xxx
calls, but that is the COCOT owner's problem ... not AT&T's.   PAT]

arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold Robbins) (02/22/91)

In article <telecom11.143.6@eecs.nwu.edu> The Moderator Notes:

>[Moderator's Note: I don't see why AT&T has to get an 800 number. The
>rules established for this plainly call for equal access via 10xxx,
>and thus far, AT&T has been insisting everyone follow the rules. I've
>heard all the arguments about fraud and difficulty in billing 10xxx
>calls, but that is the COCOT owner's problem ... not AT&T's.   PAT]

Wrong.  It's your problem and my problem.  I.e., *the customer*.  I
don't care where I happen to be travelling, if I want to use AT&T to
make a long distance call and I can't, then it's my problem.  If
getting to ATT through an 800 number works where 10xxx doesn't, then
that makes life easier for *the customer*, the guy who buys the
service and keeps all these folks in business.

Pat's point is fine, in theory.  But we all know about the difference
between theory and practice.

Arnold Robbins				AudioFAX, Inc.
2000 Powers Ferry Road, #200 / Marietta, GA. 30067
INTERNET: arnold@audiofax.com Phone:   +1 404 933 7612
UUCP:	  emory!audfax!arnold Fax-box: +1 404 618 4581

[Moderator's Note: But the fact that you cannot access AT&T via 10288
is not AT&T's fault. It is a greedy private operator who is denying
access illegally. What is to prevent the same greedy operator from
blocking access to 950 numbers if desired, or assessing some
outrageous surcharge for calling an 800 number, both of which would
make it impossible or impractical to use AT&T?  The standard set up by
the FCC to access the carrier *of your choice* was via 10xxx routing.
If a greedy operator decides to deny you your choice of long distance
carriers because his deal with that carrier is not as lucrative as
with another, then your complaint is with that operator.  What the
local telcos should do is whenever they find 10-anything access being
tampered with at the subscriber level is cut the the service off
entirely until the subscriber agrees to bring himself into compliance
with the regulations. Then watch the COCOT owner squeal about how his
commissions went down that month. Down to zero!   PAT]

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/24/91)

> [Moderator's Note: But the fact that you cannot access AT&T via 10288
> is not AT&T's fault.

Who cares whose fault it is? It's AT&T that's losing revenues because
of it, and AT&T's customers who are suffering or switching.

> It is a greedy private operator who is denying access illegally.

What, you mean it's illegal for my place of employment to block 10288
on their PBX? Back when I was doing feild service, was it our
customer's responsibility to provide 10xxx at their place of business?

I think not.

peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com

[Moderator's Note: This is like Deja Vu day at the Digest! :) This is
another topic we covered (how long ago now?) ... and I think everyone
agreed with you that whoever owns the phone(s) can do as they please.
But in this instance we are talking about *public pay phones* or
phones in hotel rooms or otherwise used by the public. Phones for use
by the public should be in compliance, which means having the ability
to use 10xxx codes for the carrier of choice.   PAT]

sbrack@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steven S. Brack) (02/25/91)

What is the legality of a property rentor blocking access of 10xxx
numbers from its renters' phones?  I rent housing from a large
university, with its own PBX (actually a slightly scaled-down telco
switch serving about 30,000 phones).  Every dormitory room has its own
phone.  UNITS, the university telco, runs its own LD operation, which
involves giving each subscriber an access code, which is intercepted
by the university switch, which then completes the call through <I
assume> a regular LD carrier.  I have an ATT calling card that offers
a fair discount, and I would like to use it to place LD calls from my
phone.  All combinations of 10288, including using outside line
designators, fail.  When I dial an Ohio Bell operator (9-0) (9-0-0
doesn't work at all, I am informed that LD is not allowed from my
phone, and I'm not connected to AT&T.

My question:  Can they do this? If so, what is the legal justification?

Steve Brack   Telecommunications Engineering
The Ohio State University  Columbus, OH        43210-1211
sbrack@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
sbrack@ewf.eng.ohio-state.edu (Avoid sending here, if possible)

[Moderator's Note: I don't think there is any legal justification when
the telco or (in your case pseudo-telco) has a captive customer base
by not allowing installation of phones from off campus, etc. I think
it passes legal muster when a private organization restricts employee
phones like that. It is legal since I guess employees have no
automatic right to make personal calls on company phones. It is a pity
how some of these universities want to play telephone company and yet
conveniently ignore the rules other telcos manage to follow. Some one
or more people ought to start slapping them silly with lawsuits left
and right until they wise up.  PAT]

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/26/91)

In article <telecom11.149.10@eecs.nwu.edu> arnold@audiofax.com writes:

> In article <telecom11.143.6@eecs.nwu.edu> The Moderator Notes:

>> [Moderator's Note: I don't see why AT&T has to get an 800 number. The
>> rules established for this plainly call for equal access via 10xxx,
>> and thus far, AT&T has been insisting everyone follow the rules. I've
>> heard all the arguments about fraud and difficulty in billing 10xxx
>> calls, but that is the COCOT owner's problem ... not AT&T's.   PAT]

> [Moderator's Note: But the fact that you cannot access AT&T via 10288
> is not AT&T's fault. It is a greedy private operator who is denying
> access illegally. What is to prevent the same greedy operator from
> blocking access to 950 numbers if desired, or assessing some

In both your responses there is one very large, important point that
you failed to take into consideration.  Judge Green's order and all
the associated technical changes that it provoked is binding only upon
the companies that were a part of the old "Bell System".  None of the
other operating companies are legally obligated to have anything to do
with "equal access" or 10XXX or 950.

It seems that the other major players have elected to go along for
reasons of their own but they are not REQUIRED to conform.  Entire
independent telcos are seemingly able to contract with whomever they
please to carry their subscriber's toll traffic and are probably under
no legal obligation to provide access from it's lines to other
carriers.  Assuming that I am not way off base, the only solution
would appear to be 800 access to AT&T in these situations.

Ken Abrams         uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell      kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield        (voice) 217-753-7965

[Moderator's Note: What is to prevent the same greedy operator who
forbids 10xxx service from denying access to AT&T's 800 number? What
is to prevent him from doing something like adding a surcharge on
calls to 800 numbers like many COCOTs are doing?  In other words, if
the telco, or COCOT or whatever won't observe common courtesy by
allowing 10xxx connections, why do you feel they will observe common
courtesy by handling 800 calls in the heretofore traditional way of
passing the calls without additional charge?  The real complaint some
of those guys have is they do not want you to reach AT&T. They do not
want you to have any choice of carriers. After all, what sort of fool
would use *their* service if there was any choice in the matter?  If
AT&T did install an 800 number I can guarentee you the same people who
now block 10xxx would figure out a way to block 800-ATT-#### or else
tack a tidy surcharge on for themselves.   PAT]

K_MULLHOLAND@unhh.unh.edu (KATH MULLHOLAND) (02/27/91)

> [Moderator's Note: But the fact that you cannot access AT&T via 10288
> is not AT&T's fault. It is a greedy private operator who is denying
> access illegally. What is to prevent the same greedy operator from

Not necessarily ... in the case of the AT&T system 85, it *is* AT&T's
fault that you cannot access 10288.  The System 85 does not allow
access to any 10xxx number.  We depend on 95-xxxx numbers (which we
route over FX lines to an equal access office, by the way) to get our
users to MCI or Sprint.  If we want to switch to another carrier for
our 0+, we would be forced to block calls to AT&T, even though we do
not want to.

The University of New Hampshire is not offered any commission for our
inter-Lata 0+ traffic by AT&T.  We would, and probably will, take up
Sprint's offer for commissions, but our users may resent not being
able to use AT&T.  We don't see an option.

For now,this is just a nuisance.  If the FCC chooses to rule that
Universities are aggregators, we are in for major problems unless AT&T
breaks down and offers 950 or 800 acccess.

Question: Why does AT&T want to block themselves out of this business?
Is it not as lucrative for them as for their competitors?

Another Question: Does anyone have an opinion on how likely the FCC is
to regard Universities as aggregators?  Our opinion is that we are not
because the new law defines aggregators as those providing service to
"transient" customers.  Our feeling is that University students, being
resident enough to register to vote, are not transient.  What do the
rest of you think?

Kath Mullholand    UNH, Durham NH.

[Moderator's Note: But registering to vote is a more solemn
obligation, and not to be taken lightly. Voting is considered
important enough that the law is interpreted as liberally as possible
in order to avoid the slightest hint of discrimination. The idea is to
make it as easy as possible to vote. Choosing a president is somewhat
more important that choosing a long distance carrier, or so the
thinking goes.  I don't think AT&T is deliberatly locking themselves
out of the 800/950 business because it is not lucrative for them. I
think they are doing it to force the issue on 10xxx; their thinking
being that if 10xxx access becomes an absolute, bar-none requirement
on all switches, they will recapture a lot of revenue denied to them
now anyway, thus making the whole long distance calling industry a lot
LESS lucrative to the marginal operators out there now. And I sort of
agree. Let's all play by the rules the 'others' tried so hard to
install -- equal access and all -- and see who wins and who loses. I
think you already know the answer.     PAT]

crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Brian Crawford) (02/27/91)

In article <telecom11.159.1@eecs.nwu.edu>, sbrack@hpuxa.ircc.
ohio-state.edu (Steven S. Brack) writes:

> I rent housing from a large university,
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have no rights!  :)

Brian Crawford               INTERNET (current):   crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu
PO Box 804                            (permanent): crawford@stjhmc.fidonet.org
Tempe, Arizona  85280        FidoNet:              1:114/15.12
USA                          Amateur:              KL7JDQ

efb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Everett F Batey) (03/03/91)

In article <telecom11.159.2@eecs.nwu.edu> kabra437 commented upon by
Moderator:

Who is thoughtful enough to write ..

 <> failed to consider ... Green's order ... binding only upon ...
 <> companies that were a part of the old "Bell System".  None of the

No bad feelings, bro, but I am compelled as one who once raised my
right hand and promised to defend it ... Is/Was J. Green a strict
constitutionalist ... any sort of constitutionalist ... and has he read
US Constitution, re Equal Protection Amendment, and have you, Sir ?

efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL  efb@gcpacix.uucp  efb@gcpacix.cotdazr.org
efb@nosc.mil   WA6CRE    Gold Coast Sun Users   Vta-SB-SLO DECUS  gnu
Opinions, MINE, NOT Uncle Sam_s | b-news postmaster xntp dns  WAFFLE

[Moderator's Note: Good point, but I am not the person who made the
comments attributed to me. Those were the original author's, so I
shall leave it to him to respond direct to you if he wishes to do so.
I can't say I entirely disagree with you.   PAT]