[comp.dcom.telecom] Digital Phones for SLIP Circuits

efb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Everett F Batey) (03/03/91)

Confronted with an urgent need to run SLIP between two Sun3s (OS 4.1
and 4.1.1) and some easy to comeby telephone assets AND NO money for
modems, we are trying to pick the most trustworthy and easy to
accomplish SLIP link.  Sites are within three miles, wire, 1/2 mile
crow flight.

- We have Meridian phones for which we can get 9600 baud RS-232
interfaces.  DOES ANYBODY know if with handshaking and async over
digitized phone line, these data phone options WORK SUCCESSFULLY for
this purpose?

- We have access to a four wire metallic circuit, not conditioned.  Is
there an economical, recent or old, technology four wire modem YOU USE
to support 9600 baud SLIP ?

- We have some available Telebit modems, no two alike and NO T2500.  I
don't think any are the newer of V32/V42, which ever that is.  The
last neighbor we knew using these with a 200 mile dialup phone path
spent lots of time restarting the circuit.  Is there a good way to use
these locally over an analog delivered voice grade phone line ?

- How would YOU rate from YOUR PERSONAL experience these options, for
cost effectiveness and ease ( idiot-proof-ness ) of installation ?

- Remember in answering these questions, the right answer leads to the
most efficient use of tax dollars.  Thanks /Ev/

 efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL  efb@gcpacix.uucp  efb@gcpacix.cotdazr.org
 efb@nosc.mil   WA6CRE    Gold Coast Sun Users   Vta-SB-SLO DECUS  gnu
 Opinions, MINE, NOT Uncle Sam_s | b-news postmaster xntp dns  WAFFLE

syd@dsi.com (Syd Weinstein) (03/04/91)

elroy!suned1!efb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Everett F Batey) writes:

> Sites are within three miles, wire, 1/2 mile crow flight.
> - We have access to a four wire metallic circuit, not conditioned.  Is
> there an economical, recent or old, technology four wire modem YOU USE
> to support 9600 baud SLIP ?

With that short a circuit, you can run LADD modems (Local Area Data
Distributors) which are meant for four wire metalic circuts.  Over
three miles of wire you can easily do 19.2kb.  Modems of this type are
rather in-expensive.  I ran two offices tied together by this method
for several years and it worked just fine (Note, LADD modems come in
both sync and async models.)

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP Elm Coordinator Datacomp Systems, Inc.
Voice: (215) 947-9900 syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd FAX: (215) 938-0235