[comp.dcom.telecom] "Most Accurate Clock"

paulf@shasta.stanford.edu (Paul A. Flaherty) (02/15/91)

The GC-1000 appears in the most recent Griefkit catalog.  It's
basically a WWV(H) receiver, slaving a crystal oscillator to that
signal.  An EIA-232 output is optional, and allows you to set machine
clocks. Claimed accuracy is about +-1.0ms; they tend to drift in a
sawtooth pattern.

We use one at Stanford to provide backup NTP service (our primary
source is a more stable reference we receive via BARRNET).

 -=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX      -> paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU

SSHANKMAN@mis.Arizona.EDU (Steve Shankman) (02/16/91)

A while ago I was at the planetarium at our university, and I saw an
interesting clock made by Heathkit. The clock was called "Most
Accurate Clock" and had a shortwave receiver built in which monitored
5, 10, and 15 MHz (WWV?). The unit was smaller than a normal
clock-radio, and a bit bigger than those small "red-led-beeping-alarm"
alarm clocks. It had a led display with tenths of a second, and little
leds that indicated which frequency it was monitoring, and a fourth
led to show when it was actually getting a signal.

Does anyone know where I could get a clock like this, or better yet
the kit? I have seen lots of messages here about Heathkit, but I don't
know how to reach them for a catalog.

Thanks,

Steve Shankman  sshankman@mis.arizona.edu  shankmas@arizvm1.ccit.arizona.edu

[Moderator's Note: Recent messages say that Heath is alive, if not
necessarily very well and still in their corporate headquarters in
Benton Harbor, MI.  I guess you could get a number for them from
directory assistance at 616-555-1212. They probably have an 800 number
also.   PAT]

crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Brian Crawford) (02/17/91)

In article <telecom11.118.12@eecs.nwu.edu>, paulf@shasta.stanford.edu
(Paul A. Flaherty) writes:

> We use one at Stanford to provide backup NTP service (our primary
> source is a more stable reference we receive via BARRNET).

I would be interested to know more about this BARRNET service.  Could
you offer details?  Why it's more accurate than the clock?

Brian Crawford           INTERNET (current):   crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu
PO Box 804                        (permanent): crawford@stjhmc.fidonet.org
Tempe, Arizona  85280    FidoNet:              1:114/15.12
USA                      Amateur:              KL7JDQ

Robert.Savery@iugate.unomaha.edu (Robert Savery) (02/19/91)

In a recent message, Steve Shankman (sshankman@mis.arizona.edu) writes:

> A while ago I was at the planetarium at our university, and I saw an
> interesting clock made by Heathkit. The clock was called "Most
> Accurate Clock" and had a shortwave receiver built in which monitored
> 5, 10, and 15 MHz (WWV?). The unit was smaller than a normal
> clock-radio, and a bit bigger than those small "red-led-beeping-alarm"
> alarm clocks. It had a led display with tenths of a second, and little
> leds that indicated which frequency it was monitoring, and a fourth
> led to show when it was actually getting a signal.

> Does anyone know where I could get a clock like this, or better yet
> the kit? I have seen lots of messages here about Heathkit, but I don't
> know how to reach them for a catalog.

The kit for that clock can be found in the latest Heathkit catalog.
Kit number GC-1000-H ($249.95). Assembled GCW-1000-H ($380.00) You can
also buy an RS-232 interface, the software for that, the tech manual
for the clock, and an outdoor antenna.

As several people have commented, Heathkit is alive and well. Although
looking at the last catalog, I wonder if they shouldn't drop the "kit"
from their name.  There aren't as many kits available as there used to
be. Those that can still be had seem to be designed for Simpletons.
The TV's and other major items are 90% pre-assembled. What kits there
are are more high school electronics than serious hobbyist type.

Pertinent info :

                    Heath Company
                    P.O. Box 8589
                    Benton Harbor, Mi 49022-8589

                    (Orders) 1-800-253-0570
                    (Fax orders) 1-616-982-5577
                    (Tech support) 1-616-982-3496
                    (Comuserve on-line cat.) Go HTH

See Ya'll Later!

Bob

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the Heath Co. I just get their catalogs.

msged 1.99S ZTC
[200:5010/666.5@Metronet] Trebor's Castle, Lavista Ne.

kgf2173@uunet.uu.net (Kerry G. Forschler) (03/03/91)

In article <telecom11.134.7@eecs.nwu.edu>, Robert.Savery@iugate.
unomaha.edu (Robert Savery) writes:

> In a recent message, Steve Shankman (sshankman@mis.arizona.edu) writes:

> > A while ago I was at the planetarium at our university, and I saw an
> > interesting clock made by Heathkit. The clock was called "Most
> > Accurate Clock" and had a shortwave receiver built in which monitored
> > 5, 10, and 15 MHz (WWV?).

{Popular Electronics} magazine, March 1991, page 73, gives a hands-on
review of the Heathkit Most Accurate Clock.

Here's what I gleaned from the article:

o  the author was impressed with it,
o  keeps time to within 10 ms or better of WWV,
o  has an RS-232C output which provides time and date data in ACSII format,
o  the RS-232C output is standard with the pre-assembled unit, but
   must be bought as a separate unit for the kit,
o  Heath/Zenith interfacing software is extra ($49.95),
o  requires from 4 to 30 minutes to calibrate itself the first time turned on,
o  has a built-in telescoping antenna,
o  has an option for an external antenna,
o  a highly-suitable tuned-dipole outdoor antenna can be bought for $99.95,
o  if signal strength is too weak to always receive WWV it uses its
   own internal crystal-controlled oscilliator to control time,
o  runs on a 12-volt battery or 117/220 VAC,
o  has a built-in speaker so you can listen to the audio portion of WWV,
o  the audio is controled by a volume control and can be turned off,
o  has options for 12/24 hour format, daylight savings time, etc,
o  the year is set by a DIP switch and must be changed each year.

I hope this is helpful.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Heath Co. or {Popular Electronics}
magazine.

Kerry G. Forschler   		 |  Voice: 206-237-1274 (work)
Boeing Commercial Airplanes      |  Voice: 206-235-1435 (home)
P.O. Box 3707, M/S 96-02         |  UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!kgf2173
Seattle, WA  98124-2207          |  Boeing net: kgf2173@tahoma

bei@cs.utexas.edu (Bob Izenberg) (03/04/91)

bcstec!tahoma!kgf2173@uunet.uu.net (Kerry G. Forschler) writes:

> {Popular Electronics} magazine, March 1991, page 73, gives a hands-on
> review of the Heathkit Most Accurate Clock.

Unix types might want to try out Bill Kennedy's code to use this
"clock" to update a Unix system's clock, as posted recently to
alt.sources.