[comp.dcom.telecom] Is Rochester Telephone Also a Long Distance Carrier?

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (02/27/91)

On two pay phones in Newark, Delaware, I have discovered that the
default long-distance carrier is listed as RCI Corp., 180 So.  Clinton
Ave., Rochester, NY 14646, telephone 800-836-8080.  The zipcode turns
out to be the same as Rochester Telephone Corp.

jkw@kodak.com (Jerry K. Wagner Internet: jkw@kodak.com) (02/28/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #167:

>From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil>

> On two pay phones in Newark, Delaware, I have discovered that the
> default long-distance carrier is listed as RCI Corp., 180 So.  Clinton
> Ave., Rochester, NY 14646, telephone 800-836-8080.  The zipcode turns
> out to be the same as Rochester Telephone Corp.

In the Rochester Telephone White Pages, 1991, in the long distance
carrier information section, RCI is listed as:

	RochesterTel
	RCI Long Distance

complete with the Rochester Telephone logo.  I believe RCI is a
subsidiary, but I could be mistaken about the specific legal
connection between the two.

Jerry K. Wagner  jkw@kodak.com     716 722 9532

CER2520@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Curtis E. Reid) (02/28/91)

>From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil>

> On two pay phones in Newark, Delaware, I have discovered that the
> default long-distance carrier is listed as RCI Corp., 180 So.  Clinton
> Ave., Rochester, NY 14646, telephone 800-836-8080.  The zipcode turns
> out to be the same as Rochester Telephone Corp.

RCI Corp. is a subsidiary of Rochester Tel.  As many of you know from
reading Telecom Digests, Rochester Tel has been diversifying itself by
buying a lot of small telephone companies throughout the nation,
operating a long distance carrier, and a cellular phone company.

Rochester Tel is the largest independent telephone company and its
financial situation is very good in comparsion with other telephone
companies.

They recently filed a tariff with New York Public Services Commission
to offer Caller-ID services to begin on April.  I have yet to hear
wether the PSC approved it or not.

			Curtis E. Reid
			CER2520@RITVAX.Bitnet                 (Bitnet)
			CER2520@RITVAX.isc.rit.edu            (Internet)

jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (03/01/91)

In Digest V11 #167, Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> asked about
Rochester Tel and RCI.

Yes, indeed, one of Rochester Tel's divisions is RCI Long Distance.

I use RCI on occasion when I need to segregate LD calls for business
(their code is 10211).

Their rates are a bit lower than AT&T. For example, a one minute call
to 619-673 (RANCHOBNRD CA) on AT&T was .24, and a five minute call on
RCI was 1.18 (.236 per minute). Sound quality is excellent, and calls
seem to complete quickly.

I'm assuming that RCI leases capacity from other carriers for their
network.

For those who don't know, Rochester Tel now owns 250ish small
telephone companies around the country.

Jeff

freimer@moot.cs.cornell.edu (Robert Freimer) (03/03/91)

Yes, RCI is Rochester Telephone's long distance subsidiary.  I have
been using them for over a year, since they have much better
intrastate rates for NY.  They have an all digital network from
Chicago to NYC and Boston.

Rochester Telephone set itself up as a mini AT&T, but never had to
divest.  Besides long distance, they provide local service, and also
sell equipment.

Robert Freimer

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (03/03/91)

In <telecom11.167.11@eecs.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

> On two pay phones in Newark, Delaware, I have discovered that the
> default long-distance carrier is listed as RCI Corp., 180 So.  Clinton
> Ave., Rochester, NY 14646, telephone 800-836-8080.  The zipcode turns
> out to be the same as Rochester Telephone Corp.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Judge Greene barred Baby Bells from
ever providing long-distance service, he did *not* mention the
independent local carriers.

As a result, there's nothing to stop such a local carrier from
operating a long-distance division.  Here in Lincoln, Neb., our local
carrier (Lincoln Telephone) operates Lincoln Telephone Long Distance
and promotes it pretty heavily.

Of course, Lincoln Telephone *was* one of the first local companies to
be successfully sued for blocking a third-party carrier.  I believe it
was MCI and its "Execuline" or "Executone" -- heck, Execu-SOMETHING --
back in the early 1980s.

(For what it's worth, Lincoln Telephone has informally dropped the "& Tele-
graph" from its name in most correspondence, but its official name still
includes it.  We call LT&T, alternatively, "Let's Try and Talk" or "Lincoln
Tinkertoy.")

Michael Ho, University of Nebraska    Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu
Disclaimer:  Views expressed within are purely personal and should not be
applied to the Daily Nebraskan or any university department.

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (03/06/91)

>I'm assuming that RCI leases capacity from other carriers for their
>network.

>For those who don't know, Rochester Tel now owns 250ish small
>telephone companies around the country.

RCI owns their own facilities throughout New York State (mostly
digital microwave) and in fact is pretty dense (ie they have a lot of
cities and towns covered with their own POPs).  They also have POPs in
places like Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, DC, Hartford, Newark etc,
which have a mixture of owned and leased facilities, Boston,Chicago,DC
represent the farthest extent of their "network".  The center of their
IXC web is New York State.

They have even built fiber facilities and done lease back arrangements.
For instance Rochester to Chicago was originally built by them but is
now owned by Litel.

RCI is one of the IXC's that PSINet uses to co-locate in. They provide
quality leased line service, and are good people to work with.

Marty