[comp.dcom.telecom] Northern Telecom Maestro Sets

443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca (Eric Skinner) (03/08/91)

Louis J. Judice <judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com> writes:

> I seemed to recall reading here a while back about NT's Maestro phones
> (which are designed for consumer use in CLASS service areas) being on
> sale in New Jersey. I've looked around but not seen them.

> Does anyone remember where there are offered, or if you have one,
> what you think about them?

I don't know about their availability in the US; They are offered in the
Ottawa, Canada area by Bell Canada as part of its CLASS trial, and
I've had one for a few months now.

The set seems nicely designed; overall I have no real problems with
it.  It *is* possible to "crash" the phone, although there doesn't
seem to be a pattern to it.  Occasionally the numeric display gets a
little confused working with the caller list or the programming keys,
and either hangs or displays garbage.  Sure hope they upgrade the ROMs
someday :-) But these events are rare.

Probably my biggest complaint is that the Maestro only keeps track of
numbers that called and went unanswered.  This seems to make sense
until one factors in answering machines.  This option should be
software-selectable, the way so many other of the phone's features
are.  A nice touch: it lets you "edit" a phone number before dialing,
and adds dashes to the number (displayed on the lcd) appropriately as
you dial.

Not a bad phone, altogether.

Eric Skinner             443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca
University of Ottawa               +1 613 230 0261