[comp.dcom.telecom] Cable TV Companies Enter the Telephone Business

bulick@comanche.uswest.com (Stephen Bulick) (03/03/91)

I read in the Business Section of the {New York Times} for 3/1/91 that
the FCC is allowing cable television companies to test what seems to
be a microcellular telephone system as a prelude for entry into the
local exchange carrier business. As soon as I saw the headline ("Cable
TV in Phone Challenge -- F.C.C. Allows Test Of Local Networks In a
Number of Cities") I wondered whether this meant that telcos would now
be able to argue more effectively for an entry into the cable TV
business. In fact, the article mentions this possibility without
drawing any conclusions.

This seems like an issue for discussion in this forum. I'd like to
start the thread and see what discussion ensues -- there are a lot of
thoughtful, well-informed posters in this forum. I can't wait to hear
what Donald E. Kimberlin has to say about this, for example. I always
read his stuff with great interest.

Steve Bulick    U S WEST Advanced Technologies   bulick@uswest.com

slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve L. Rhoades) (03/04/91)

In article <telecom11.175.2@eecs.nwu.edu> bulick@comanche.uswest.com
(Stephen Bulick) writes:

> I read in the Business Section of the {New York Times} for 3/1/91 that
> the FCC is allowing cable television companies to test what seems to
> be a microcellular telephone system as a prelude for entry into the
> local exchange carrier business. [...]

The system is called PCS - Personal Communications Service.  In a
nutshell, here's how it works:

In a service area, there are several small "cells" located atop existing
telephone poles.  The cell communicates back to a MTSO (probably at the
cable compnay's headend) and places the call over a POTS line.

The communication from the cell back to the MTSO is done over unused
bandwidth on the existing cable system.  (Usually in the T-Channel
range of between 2 Mhz and 50 Mhz and possibly above 500 Mhz).

A few conpanies were given permission by the FCC to test the system.
One of the companies is Continental Cablevision.  Here in California,
they'll be testing it on their Fresno system within two years.  (Why
does Fresno always get the new toys first ?)

I just read an in-depth article about the system but, of course, I
can't find it when I need it :-).

Internet: slr@caltech.edu           | Voice-mail: (818) 794-6004
UUCP: elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!tybalt!slr | USmail: Box 1000, Mt. Wilson, Ca.  91023

0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) (03/04/91)

In article <Digest v11, iss172>, Stephen Bulick <bulick@comanche.
uswest.com> posts:

> I read in the Business Section of the {New York Times} for 3/1/91 that
> the FCC is allowing cable television companies to test what seems to
> be a microcellular telephone system as a prelude for entry into the
> local exchange carrier business. ...  I wondered whether this meant that
> telcos would now be able to argue more effectively for an entry into
> the cable TV business.
> This seems like an issue for discussion in this forum.

        For my $0.02 worth, it's been a topic of discussion here for a
while now.  I expect the Baby Bells will howl, loud and long, but to
little avail, blowing more of the $27 million they spend a year
lobbying away in Washington.  (Yes, it's been documented they spent
$27 on their registered lobbyists in Washington.)

        The simple reason: Dating to the 1/1/84 execution of Ma Bell
and before, it's been a stated policy of the FCC to break up the local
telephone monopoly as well as the long distance one. Since then we've
seen the FCC get deeper and deeper into regulatory business that once
was the province of the state regulators, reducing the state roles as
handmaidens of local Telcos more and more.

        Observers of the technology can now obviously see that the
1913 notion of a "natural monopoly" by reason of a huge capital need
is no longer valid.  Can anyone on here raise any other argument to
maintain the "natural monopoly" other than the obsolete view of tons
of copper plowed into the ground or radio too complex and unstable to
deploy in the neighborhood?

        That's the gauntlet.  Who can post a reason _why_ the Telcos
should now be permitted to maintain a monopoly, in other than vague,
undefined language?  (Are we now supposed to be paying them for
decades of loyal and constantly profitable business?)

        Make no mistake.  I brook no favor for the cable TV people. We
all know how they have proved themselves to be hacks of the business
for decades. They've had the capability to step into competition with
the Telco for years; now the Feds have handed them an opportunity on a
silver platter.  I rather expect the cable interests to look this gift
horse all the way down to its gullet.  Let's see if they can blow the
opportunity in the process.

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (03/06/91)

I'm sorry, perhaps I missed it, but who has refuted the argument that
the local telephone monopoly does indeed allow for rate averaging and
holding down local rates?  In eight years of telecom policy work, I
never heard a convincing argument to the contrary ... and, in fact,
energy regulation has proven precisely the opposite.  Throughout
California, the state with which I am most familiar, residential and
commercial (small-business) customers are paying billions more in gas
rates so that industrial customers can be cajoled away from
"competitive options" (many of which they created, for just this
purpose) with lower rates.  Competition just means more costs for the
"core customers" who can't get access to real alternatives.  I don't
see cable rushing to hook up the Aunt Minnies, or you, or me.

Bob Jacobson

ndallen@eecs.nwu.edu (Nigel Allen) (03/08/91)

A brief update on what Canadian cable companies are doing.

First, cable television has traditionally been more popular in Canada
than in the U.S., mostly because Canadians want the option to receive
U.S. channels.  Canadian cable TV companies traditionally brought in
U.S. tv channels by microwave, so that you would be able to see Maine
TV stations on cable in Nova Scotia. Now, however, Cancom distributes
Detroit TV stations by satellite to Canadian cable companies, and
these Detroit signals have replaced the ones from Bangor, Main, or
whatever.

Rogers is one of Canada's largest cable companies. Its parent company
also owns 40% of Unitel Communications Inc. (formerly CNCP
Telecommunications).  I think that Rogers' Network Services unit
competes with Bell Canada for some private high-volume circuit
business. A while ago, Bell Canada asked the Canadian Radio-television
and Telecommunications Commission to require Rogers Network Services
to file tariffs with the CRTC on the grounds that Rogers was carrying
on business as a telecommunications carrier.  I'm not sure what ever
came of that.

Videotron is a large Quebec cable operator and broadcaster, with
interests in some cable systems in England as well.  Its
telecommunications arm (Videotron Telecom Ltee) has applied to the
Quebec Telecommunications Board for recognition as a
telecommunications common carrier.

If you would like a copy of Videotron's annual report, write to:

  Public Relations Department
  Groupe Videotron Ltee
  2000, rue Berri
  Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Other Canadian cable companies probably have some interesting plans up
their collective sleeves, but I haven't heard anything from them.

One other interesting telecommunications common carrier is B.C. Rail,
formerly the British Columbia Railway Company. It sells private line
services in competition with B.C. Tel and Unitel. (Historically, of
course, both Canadian National Railways and Canadian Pacific had
telecommunications departments, which were eventually merged to form
CNCP Telecommunications.  CN also owned two telephone companies, Terra
Nova Tel in rural Newfoundland and Northwestel in the Yukon, the
western Northwest Territories and northern B.C., until a few years
ago, when Terra Nova Tel was sold to Newfoundland Tel and Northwestel
was sold to BCE Inc., formerly Bell Canada Enterprises.)

Nigel Allen  ndallen@contact.uucp

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (03/08/91)

In article <telecom11.182.10@eecs.nwu.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.
washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

> I'm sorry, perhaps I missed it, but who has refuted the argument that
> the local telephone monopoly does indeed allow for rate averaging and
> holding down local rates?  In eight years of telecom policy work, I
> never heard a convincing argument to the contrary ... and, in fact,
> energy regulation has proven precisely the opposite.  Throughout
> California, the state with which I am most familiar, residential and
> commercial (small-business) customers are paying billions more in gas
> rates so that industrial customers can be cajoled away from
> "competitive options" (many of which they created, for just this
> purpose) with lower rates.  Competition just means more costs for the
> "core customers" who can't get access to real alternatives.  I don't
> see cable rushing to hook up the Aunt Minnies, or you, or me.

  I am not refuting this point, but please be specific about rates
*and* revenues. With sufficiently high volumes, it is perfectly
possible for a large user with lower rates to generate a level of
revenue that makes an industry/activity economically viable that
wouldn't be with the lower volumes of residential/commercial usage
even with their larger numbers. It's fair to call this a subsidy but
also an economic necessity in some cases.

[Moderator's Note: Rural areas will find all this to be a very moot
discussion for years to come, I imagine. You're quite correct in
calling it a subsidy -- but as you point out, that does not make it
bad in all cases -- or maybe not good either -- but a realistic
solution.   PAT]

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (03/08/91)

Robert Jacobson <cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu> writes:

> I don't see cable rushing to hook up the Aunt Minnies, or you,
> or me.

No, you will not. As a matter of fact, the City of San Jose had to
bring considerable pressure to bear on the local cable company to wire
significant sections of town. Why the resistance? There are large
areas of San Jose that have underground utilities. After Gill Cable
had wired up all the easy, pole to pole installations the company
really dragged its feet about dealing with those people who wanted
service in places where trenches needed to be dug.

If you recall the early days of MCI and SPC (Sprint) and some of the
later ones such as SBS, the OCCs were only really interested in 1)
business customers and 2) heavily called (high profit) routes such as
LA<-->San Francisco. Later on, these companies made the service
somewhat more universal. But even today, OCCs contract with AT&T to
reach really out of the way places. On SPC, you used to get a
recording telling you that the (out of the way) place you were
attempting to reach was "not on the SPRINT network".

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !