[comp.dcom.telecom] Airfones and TDD?

beh@.mit.edu (Bruce E. Howells) (03/05/91)

In article <telecom11.170.13@eecs.nwu.edu> CER2520@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
(Curtis E. Reid) writes:

> Someone mentioned that you can't use cellular phone or radio while
> airborne, right?  What about use of other electronic equipment like a
> laptop, GameBoy (Yes, I do play it!), or a TDD?

> Before I do this, I need to know if any electronic equipment is
> prohibited on an airplane while airborne?  Could someone tell me
> excatly what are the rules for operating such equipment on an
> airplane?  Thanks!!

The quick, off the cuff answer is "whatever the pilot allows."  The
rules regulating aircraft permit the pilot full control over what
electronic equipment is allowed to be operated on board.  This was a
big issue back when laptops first started showing up - airlines,
unwilling to be a test case of avionics failure, simply banned their
use, not sure of interference problems.

The real answer is call your airline.  Especially for the TDD, explain
to them that you need the TDD, that you have special needs that you
need their assistance with.  They tend to be very receptive to such
requests.

Hope this helps,

Bruce Howells,   beh@pogo.ai.mit.edu   (formerly beh@bu.edu)

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (03/09/91)

In article <telecom11.182.6@eecs.nwu.edu>, beh@.mit.edu (Bruce E.
Howells) writes:

[ regarding obtaining permission to operate a portable electronic
device aboard an aircraft]

> The quick, off the cuff answer is "whatever the pilot allows."  The
> rules regulating aircraft permit the pilot full control over what
> electronic equipment is allowed to be operated on board...

The pilot-in-command may make this determination for flights operating
under part 91 of the federal aviation regulations.  This part covers
general aviation (private planes, or others operated not for profit).
For operations under part 135 (air taxi) or part 121 (airline)
operations, the 'operator' of the aircraft is empowered to make the
determination.  The 'operator' for these purposes is the company, not
the pilot.  In practice, it is probably the chief of the department
responsible for maintaining and calibrating the avionics.

Bruce's closing comment certainly applies:

> The real answer is call your airline.  Especially for the TDD, explain
> to them that you need the TDD, that you have special needs that you
> need their assistance with.  They tend to be very receptive to such
> requests.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857