[comp.dcom.telecom] LD Dialing Without the "1"

wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com (Wally Kramer) (03/03/91)

steve@wattres.uucp (Steve Watt) writes:

> On a somewhat related note, I'm curious ... how many area codes are
> there out there (like PacBell territory in 408) that don't require a
> 1+ for *any* call, local, long-distance, or otherwise?

Northern New Jersey 201-XXX didn't when I was there in 1982.
Particularly annoying as I was unfamiliar with the area and with
little money, so I would have really liked having to dial a 1 to
protect me from accidental spending.  This is probably the
intent -- after all, Bell 'owns' New Jersey.

Wally Kramer	contracted from Step Technology, Portland, Oregon 503 244 1239
wallyk@orca.WV.TEK.COM        +1 503 685 2658

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (03/09/91)

In article <telecom11.175.12@eecs.nwu.edu>, wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com
(Wally Kramer) writes:

> Northern New Jersey 201-XXX didn't when I was there in 1982.
> Particularly annoying as I was unfamiliar with the area and with
> little money, so I would have really liked having to dial a 1 to
> protect me from accidental spending.  This is probably the
> intent -- after all, Bell 'owns' New Jersey.

New Jersey now does require the 1+ for all inter-area-code calls, and
does not permit it on intra-area-code calls.  You still can't tell
whether something within your area code is a local call.  If it's
within the area but outside your local calling area, you still dial
seven digits.  As far as I know, this is required in all three of New
Jersey's area codes.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (John Parsons) (03/10/91)

wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com (Wally Kramer) writes:

> > ... how many area codes are there out there (like PacBell
> > territory in 408) that don't require a 1+ for *any* call, ...

> Northern New Jersey 201-XXX didn't when I was there in 1982.
> Particularly annoying as I was unfamiliar with the area and with
> little money, so I would have really liked having to dial a 1 ....

It all depends on how you were raised, I guess.  I grew up in PacBell
213 land, where 1+ was not required for toll calls.  Now I live in
USWest 303 land, and it's *annoying* to get that "We're sorry, you
must first dial a ONE..." intercept.

Cheerio,

John Parsons   johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com