[comp.dcom.telecom] I Got 950 Blocking Stopped at Our School

jimmy@tokyo07.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (03/10/91)

In article <telecom11.189.5@eecs.nwu.edu> ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tinyw3
Bubbles...) writes:

> As for the 950 numbers: A lot of places still don't seem to accept
> them (the University of Nebraska's Centrex included).  It ain't right,
> but it's the sad truth.

When I found that my school was blocking 950, I called the
telecommunications manager to complain.  She insisted that 950 was a
toll call since it did not appear on the telco's list of local
prefixes.  She was rather insistent, so I gave up on her.

Instead, I walked down to the switchroom and talked to the guy in
charge of maintaining the switch.  I used his speakerphone to call the
telco operator and ask how much it cost to call 950.  When the
operator replied that the call was free, he walked over to the
terminal and entered it in the database of allowed prefixes.

Sometimes it takes this kind of personal effort to get things like
this done right.