[comp.dcom.telecom] Voice/Fax Switches Compatibility in Phillipines

mingo@cup.portal.com (03/07/91)

	A friend of mine will be spending the next year at Clark AFB
in the Phillipines and would like to use a fax to keep in touch with
the US.

	He was wondering...

(i) 	If a fax machine purchased in the US would be compatible with
the Phillipine phone system, and

(ii)	If there are any voice/fax switches which do not make the
caller wait ten seconds while the switch decides whether it's a fax
or voice call?  (Any brand recommendations would be greatly
appreciated as well.)

Charlie Mingo				mingo@cup.portal.com

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (03/10/91)

In article <telecom11.184.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, mingo@cup.portal.com
writes:

> (i) 	If a fax machine purchased in the US would be compatible with
> the Phillipine phone system, and

I don't know the answer to this question.  Group 3 fax should
certainly be able to transmit on the Phillipine phone system.  Any
incompatibilities are likely to be in the type of connectors used for
both the phone line and the power (but they probably have adaptors)
and the AC voltage (but he can probably get a dual voltage machine).
I haven't heard any horror stories about the Phillipine phone system
and modem/fax approval processes, but he should be concerned about
government regulations regarding connection of unapproved equipment.

> (ii)	If there are any voice/fax switches which do not make the
> caller wait ten seconds while the switch decides whether it's a fax
> or voice call?  (Any brand recommendations would be greatly
> appreciated as well.)

The only systems that do not require waiting to listen for fax calling
tone or DTMF signals are those that are based on "distinctive ringing
patterns" -- separate phone numbers on the line that each ring
differently.  This service is widely available in the US, but I don't
know about in the Phillipines [or are you intending to use it on the
USA side?], and costs a couple of dollars a month for the second
number.  The device listens to the ring pattern, and only passes the
signal through to the appropriate device (e.g., fax machine if two
short rings, answering machine if a single long ring).

One such device is the "RingDirector" from Lynx Automation, Inc., 2100
196th St SW #144, Lynnwood, WA 98036; +1 206 744 1582.  The
"RingDirector/2", for $89, supports two-number distinctive ringing,
and the "RingDirector/4", for $149, supports four-number distinctive
ringing.  I don't have one myself, but reports from others who do have
been glowing -- they're much more satisfied with the distinctive
ringing service and RingDirector than they were with the other types
of devices that answer first and then try to guess what is calling.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net