[comp.dcom.telecom] Northern Telecom Maestro

fleming@uunet.uu.net (03/06/91)

I picked up a Northern Telecom Maestro set this weekend (Disclaimer: I
work for NT, but in a different part of the business).  Wow, I'm
impressed!  Caller ID isn't turned on yet, but even without it, this
is a nice set.

Good-looking set (I have mine wall-mounted), seemingly solid
construction, keys feel right when you press them.  Nice features like
on-hook dialling using the LCD display (with a backspace key), a Link
(hookflash) button for Call Waiting, a Hold button so you can run to
an extension, adjustable handset volume, and a lamp that lights
whenever any extension in the house is off-hook.  I can see how long
my daughter spends on the phone in her room without leaving the
kitchen!

User-interface is all menu-driven ... so easy that I came home and
found my daughter had programmed half a dozen soft keys with the
numbers of her friends without having the manual.  Same for setting
the built-in clock/calendar and other options.

Can't wait for Caller ID to be activated ... from reading the manual,
it does a nice job with this as well.

Stephen Fleming             |  Internet: fleming@cup.portal.com
Director, Technology Mktg.  |  CI$: 76354,3176    AOL: SFleming
Northern Telecom            |  BIX: SRFleming     X.500:  ???
Eastern Region              +----------------------------------
McLean, Virginia  22102     |    Opinions expressed do not
(703) 847-8186              |    represent Northern Telecom.

ddrg@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Duncan Glendinning) (03/09/91)

In <telecom11.184.7@eecs.nwu.edu> portal!cup.portal.com!fleming

> I picked up a Northern Telecom Maestro set this weekend (Disclaimer: I
> work for NT, but in a different part of the business).  Wow, I'm
> impressed!  Caller ID isn't turned on yet, but even without it, this
> is a nice set.

> Good-looking set (I have mine wall-mounted), seemingly solid
> construction, keys feel right when you press them.  Nice features like
> on-hook dialling using the LCD display (with a backspace key), a Link
> (hookflash) button for Call Waiting, a Hold button so you can run to
> an extension, adjustable handset volume, and a lamp that lights
> whenever any extension in the house is off-hook.  I can see how long
> my daughter spends on the phone in her room without leaving the
> kitchen!

> User-interface is all menu-driven ... so easy that I came home and
> found my daughter had programmed half a dozen soft keys with the
> numbers of her friends without having the manual.  Same for setting
> the built-in clock/calendar and other options.

> Can't wait for Caller ID to be activated ... from reading the manual,
> it does a nice job with this as well.

I also agree - its a great phone which is easy to configure and easy
to use.  I've had one for about three months now, with Caller ID.

I have a few suggestions on how I would like to see the Maestro
improved.

Along with Caller ID, I have identi-call (multiple virtual telephone
numbers mapped to the same physical line).  It would be nice if the
phone could annotate the caller list with the ringer pattern causing
the logged call (i.e., a: 555-1212, b: 555-1212, etc).  That way, one
could discriminate between calls to the unlisted numbers (identi-call)
and those to the primary number.  This way, I can return only those
calls that I'm interested in.

It would be nice if the phone logged the number of un-answered long
distance calls, rather than simply noting them as 'unknown'.  For me
this is important as both sets of parents are not within our calling
area.

And finally, when wall-mounted, the handset cable exits from the side,
which is a problem when you have a long (25') handset cable.  Little
hands love to pull on the cable.  This could be easily solved by
providing an additional cable channel exiting by the bottom.

Otherwise its a great phone and great service.  Unlike phone answering
machines, those who previously hated to leave voice mail messages
appreciate us returning their calls.

Duncan Glendinning         CAnet: ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca, ddrg@gandalf.ca
Gandalf Data Ltd.          Voice: (613) 723-6500
Nepean, Ontario              Fax: (613) 226-1717
Canada  K2E 7M4

[Moderator's Note: On the subject of 'unknown' calls, someone at IBT
said to me they were 'thinking about' identifying every call to the
extent known. For example, a call arrives inter-LATA from Los Angeles.
They seem to be able to pick up some things but not others, so the
display box in those cases would say something like 'From 213', or
possibly 213-000-0000 or similar. I think that would be a welcome
addition to Caller ID instead of just saying 'unknown'. But the lady I
was speaking with, who does some programming on this stuff for IBT
described it as 'problematic' and said it would not be implemented
that way, at least not at first.   PAT]

gld@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) (03/11/91)

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen Fleming) writes:

> Good-looking set (I have mine wall-mounted), seemingly solid
> construction, keys feel right when you press them.  Nice features
> like on-hook dialling using the LCD display (with a backspace key),
> a Link (hookflash) button for Call Waiting, a Hold button so you
> can run to an extension, adjustable handset volume, and a lamp that
> lights whenever any extension in the house is off-hook.

I'm a huge fan of NT phones.  They have a certain "heft" to them that
feels nice in your hands if you like to walk around when you talk or
if you move the phone around on your desk.  Not heavy like old dial
telephones, and surely it doesn't feel like an empty plastic container
from last night's Chinese take-out.  The keys have just the right
resistance, too.  I wasn't able to buy one of the newer Bell Canada
type phones to bring down to New York, but did buy a refurbished
Contempra phone in Montreal.  Visitors constantly ask me where to buy
one of them (they're not made anymore, and Canadian telco's have
phased them out of their offerings).

NorTel's R&D arm, Bell-Northern Research (BNR) has an ergonomics unit
working out of Ottawa whose raison d'etre is to make their telephones
look and feel just right.  Having checked out ROLM units and various
frail-feeling Japanese makes (except for Sony, which also feels real
nice) I always go back to my beat-up Contempra.

Disclaimer: I'm a former summer intern for BNR, but I've been a
telephone consumer long before, during, and long after that gig.

Gary L. Dare	gld@cunixB.cc.columbia.EDU    gld@cunixc.BITNET

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (03/11/91)

One idea that just occurred to me, for a Caller*ID box, would be for
them to play the touch-tones corresponding to the number calling in
between the first and second rings. I find that while I can't
distinguish the tones well enough to call out an unknown number from
the tones, I can pretty reliably recognise a number after a few reps
(I often work next to a modem bank).

This would be distinctive ringing with a vengence. :->

peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com