[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI Personal 800 Service

WANCHO@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Frank J. Wancho) (02/09/91)

When the announcement of the MCI Personal 800 service appeared on this
forum in the beginning of December, I immediately called MCI to confirm
several items and then ordered the service based on that confirmation.
What I confirmed was that as an MCI customer, the monthly fee was $2,
and that the rate of $6.50 per hour was in one minute increments, no
minimum, and applied to in-state as well as interstate calls.  It was
the in-state feature that I asked to be double-checked and reconfirmed.

Earlier this week I finally received the brochure and confirmation
sheet, listing my assigned 800 number and PIN.  I called again to
confirm that the rates applied to in-state calls.  I was told that I
was to receive yet another brochure explaining a change in policy made
on 1 Feb after the first brochure was already in the mail.

The change in policy is significant: the rate to be applied to the
incoming Personal 800 calls is tied to the PrimeTime service you
already have.  I have only PrimeTime Texas, which is $11.25 for the
first hour and $10.50 for subsequent hours.  Incoming Personal 800
calls originating within Texas will be billed at the PrimeTime Texas
rate, not the $6.50 per hour rate.  If the incoming calls originate
elsewhere, they will be charged at the $15 per hour rate, not the
$6.50 per hour rate, because I don't have regular PrimeTime service.

Note also that the service is now called PrimeTime plus Personal 800.

The rates cited above apply only during the plan hours: 5pm to 8am
Monday through Thurday, 5pm Friday to 5pm Sunday, and 11pm Sunday to
8am Monday.  Personal 800 calls outside those hours are billed at
$13.50 per hour for regular PrimeTime users.  I don't know the
off-hour rates for PrimeTime Texas.

Frank

wah@tuck.cs.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (02/11/91)

In article <74382@bu.edu.bu.edu> WANCHO@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Frank
J. Wancho) writes:

>What I confirmed was that as an MCI customer, the monthly fee was $2,
>and that the rate of $6.50 per hour was in one minute increments, no
>minimum, and applied to in-state as well as interstate calls.  It was
>the in-state feature that I asked to be double-checked and reconfirmed.

The rep gave you wrong info.

>The change in policy is significant: the rate to be applied to the
>incoming Personal 800 calls is tied to the PrimeTime service you
>already have.  I have only PrimeTime Texas, which is $11.25 for the
>first hour and $10.50 for subsequent hours.  Incoming Personal 800
>calls originating within Texas will be billed at the PrimeTime Texas
>rate, not the $6.50 per hour rate.  If the incoming calls originate
>elsewhere, they will be charged at the $15 per hour rate, not the
>$6.50 per hour rate, because I don't have regular PrimeTime service.

I was under the impression there were the following packages:

 1) Primetime with personal 800 - cost  6.50 1st hr, $1.00 daytime discount
	 $2.00 for the 800 number. daytime calls discount 10% plan hours
	  .1083/min

 2) same as above with a state option around $2.00 includes intrastate calls

 3) stand alone 800 - only 800 number $5/mo and .25/min

 4) stand alone 800 for MCI customers - only 800 number $/2 mo primtime hours
	.1083/min interState and .225/min all other times and intrastate

There are about ten states where number two is not available ... Texas
is one of them. I guess you expect most of your calls from within
Texas?  You could set up another account with them as option four
(saying you had the regular primetime with MCI's other division). You
cant have both primtime Texas and Primtime Plus? ... Guess I am lucky
to live in Florida..

Bill

seanwilliams@attmail.com (03/11/91)

Brian G. Gordon  (briang@Sun.COM) writes:

> Then on to MCI.  After bouncing between departments for a while, they
> decide that their 800 number has been active for almost two weeks, and
> can't explain why I wasn't informed, or how I can keep from being
> charged for two weeks of service I couldn't use because they forgot to
> tell me about it. Of course, this time they have no problem giving me
> the "secure" number over the phone!

I had the same problem with my MCI number.  I have been using it for
almost a month now, and still haven't received anything in the mail.
I found out my number the same way that you did, but the "security"
thing was never brought up -- they just told me the number outright.

MCI's mailing department must be something of a wonder.  How can a
person call and ask for information, then set up a personal 800
number, and then change the number it is routed to, and then use it
for two weeks after calling to find out what the number is, without
even getting any information in the mail?  It makes you want to say,
"Hmmmm."

Sean E. Williams		   attmail.com!seanwilliams
333 Prospect Avenue / PO Box 227   seanwilliams@attmail.com
Duncannon, PA 17020-0227  USA	   voicemail: +1 717 957 8139